Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:05   #3601
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,518
Thanked: 7,191 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
P.S Where exactly is RTC X roads ?
This place is about a km from lower tank bund road. Lower tank bund as the name suggests is below the main tank bund road. Astoria is right near the crossroads and next to Astoria is Bawarchi.

Both are good joints for Biryani. Another place worth checking out is Cafe Bahar at Hyderguda which is near Basheerbagh Crossroads and again about 1km from tankbund

For a list of good biryani joints in Hyderabad, its been discussed many times. Please search this thread for same

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
wanted to taste haleem for the first time and headed to sarvi b'hills y'day , only to find it closed . folks could some guide with road map to Cafe 555 , shah ghouse & shadab . I cannot resist after seeing the pics .
Cafe 555 : Is in left lane while coming from mehdipatnam onto B.hill Rd. 1 Main road

Sarvi : Right at Mehdipatnam X roads before St.Anna Girls College

Shahghouse : In Tolichowki, opp to the N.V food court that houses restuarants like Four Seasons, Mandar etc.

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd August 2011 at 17:14.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:09   #3602
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
I have been coming to Hyderabad regularly since 2006 and am currently staying near Hakimpet Air Force Station,around 15 kms past the army cantt.
I seem to have been committing the ultimate sin ( according to this thread ) by satisfying my biriyani cravings at Paradise.

Would be grateful if you could list out some great biriyani joints in the city.

P.S Where exactly is RTC X roads ?
That exercise has already been done on this thread by the great Foodies Mobike008, Traveloholic and Silverwood

One post for quick reference for your perusal http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2356493 and http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2354545

Cheers

Last edited by MileCruncher : 23rd August 2011 at 17:10.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:09   #3603
BHPian
 
huntrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 66
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
I have been coming to Hyderabad regularly since 2006 and am currently staying near Hakimpet Air Force Station,around 15 kms past the army cantt.
I seem to have been committing the ultimate sin ( according to this thread ) by satisfying my biriyani cravings at Paradise.

Would be grateful if you could list out some great biriyani joints in the city.

P.S Where exactly is RTC X roads ?
Hi shrjun, Please don't get carried away by paradise bashing here. Hydeez have a tendency to exaggerate a bit when comes to food as they are extremely sensitive to their food specially Biryani. Even a continental buffet is not complete without a Biryani here !!! If you are an occasional visitor then you may not even notice the difference in the tastes between various outlets, as long as they prepare it the authentic way. Most of the punjabi restraunts, I have noticed, serve a piece of chicken curry buried under jeera rice as biryani(e.g. Punjabi chula, nr Hyd house Madhapur, Punjai Mess Gachibowli X Roads) There are of course some outlets which are over hyped like Hyderabad House and 4 Seasons which donot even need mention in the top 50 places for Biryani(and I am not exagerrating). But according to me you can never go wrong with biryani at paradise, especially the Mutton varity which is more spicy than the chicken one. Chicken Biryani is slightly on the bland side due to increased quantity. But it still has that authentic Biryani taste and flavour. There are also a lot of lesser known hotels, restraunts and cafes who serve equally good or better biryani, some of them are famous and some are not and it also depends on one's own taste buds and the time devoted to expolore the joints.

All,
I visited Bawarchi(not sure if the exact name is Green Bawarchi or New Bawarchi) at kondapur. It is definitely not a branch of the famous Bawarchi restaurant. It is very similar to the joint I used to frequent long back on Rajbhavan Road known as Mehfil which has now closed down therfore I liked it very much. Its a regular typical hyderabadi biryani joint. The quantity and price were very VFM, I ordered Chicken Biryani(INR 120) and Half Hyderabadi Chicken(INR 90). The Quantity of both the items was excellent i couldn't finish either. Tastewise i found Chicken Biryani good. Didn't quite like the Hyderabdi chicken due to abundance of curry leaves in it and also I was looking for something more spicy. May be I will have to try the other chicken dishes before I can settle on something that suits my palatte. One advice of caution though, As expected it is not a very clean place and donot expect too much in terms of service, definitely not a place for taking the family. There is an AC section too but the place is best suited for takeaway. For take away you may not step out of the car as there would be a guy standing there who can take the order and deliver it to you.

Last edited by huntrz : 23rd August 2011 at 17:11.
huntrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:09   #3604
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,175
Thanked: 319 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Shadab : In Tolichowki, opp to the N.V food court that houses restuarants like Four Seasons, Mandar etc.
Isn't that Niagara?
Has Shadab opened a branch in Tolichowki?
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:13   #3605
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,518
Thanked: 7,191 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Isn't that Niagara?
Has Shadab opened a branch in Tolichowki?
My bad. I meant Shahghouse. Naigara shut shop long back and Shahghouse opened in its place
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:21   #3606
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,068
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
P.S Where exactly is RTC X roads ?
You may also want to try Cafe Bahaar @ Hyderguda.

Ask for single biriyani double mutton.Heavenly.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:55   #3607
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,518
Thanked: 7,191 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Hi shrjun, Please don't get carried away by paradise bashing here. Hydeez have a tendency to exaggerate a bit when comes to food as they are extremely sensitive to their food specially Biryani. Even a continental buffet is not complete without a Biryani here !!! If you are an occasional visitor then you may not even notice the difference in the tastes between various outlets, as long as they prepare it the authentic way.
Navin, I am surprised to see this coming from a foodie like you ( even though a silent one)

You've been in Hyderabad for quite a few years now. Come on, Iam sure you developed a palate that can tell you these 'not so" subtle differences as a biryani ( though all these joints prepare the authentic dum style) from Paradise is way different from a biryani from Bahar in almost everything include the size of the grain, scent, flavour, density of masala's, meat marination and the final taste of same.

If you dont beileve me, then call for a biryani meet and experts like Traveloholic, Silverwood and Hyd_Traveller can share some biryani nuances with you to make you also an expert like them

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd August 2011 at 17:59.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:21   #3608
BHPian
 
huntrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 66
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Navin, I am surprised to see this coming from a foodie like you ( even though a silent one)

You've been in Hyderabad for quite a few years now. Come on, Iam sure you developed a palate that can tell you these 'not so" subtle differences as a biryani ( though all these joints prepare the authentic dum style) from Paradise is way different from a biryani from Bahar in almost everything include the size of the grain, scent, flavour, density of masala's, meat marination and the final taste of same.

If you dont beileve me, then call for a biryani meet and experts like Traveloholic, Silverwood and Hyd_Traveller can share some biryani nuances with you to make you also an expert like them
Hey Avi,
You are correct but my experience is based mostly on this side of the city sampling what ever is available in Madhapur, Banjara hills and Yusuf Tekri complex etc. Despite being in Hyderabad for so long I have only tasted from Bawarchi(RTC X rd) once and haven't visited Cafe Bahar, Astoria, Shadab etc as they are too far from my place. I am sure they would be better than Paradise. But my prime reason for vouching for paradise is that on this side of the city Paradise is the best I have tasted so far compared to 4 seasons, Mandar, Hyd House, City Spice, Niagra tolichowki etc etc. In fact I absolutely disliked Mandar and Niagra tolichowki. Alpha Hotel, s'bad was so so, not too great specially when Paradise is near by. I am sorely missing a 2 wheeler in my stable as I sold my P180 3 yrs back, I am planing to get one soon in order to venture far and wide into hyderabad to verify these claims without worrying for parking space. I would really appreciate if someone can point out authentic biryani places nearer to Madhapur. Until then Paradise, hitec City is my lifeline.

I am up for the Biryani meet . Looking to meet you guys soon, there is a lot to catch up from my side, really.

Last edited by huntrz : 23rd August 2011 at 18:28.
huntrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:41   #3609
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Talking re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You come to Hyderabad and don't bother to consult the Hydeez for the best Biryani in town and go to Paradise/Hyderabad House . These two places invariably make the worst variety of Biryani ever!

Next time you are in town, give the foodies a holler and thou will be guided to the best Biryani place!
Will do - I was with a hyderabadi wonlee and those palces were darned convenient. i'm a veggie btw! THE Traffic in that SP road in the morning was unbelievably slow. I think gurgaon rocks now, evne in its worst jams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
You should have posted an SOS on your andriod. I assure you that you'd have got an immediate response from us Hydeez.
lol. will do next time - please advise the good places either around airport, banjara hills, or secbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

You should be glad you couldn't find these two places open. They could potentially have put you off Hyderabadi biryani forever.

Regards,
spadix
nyah. I've eaten oodles of paradise biryani when they used to have the counter at the airport. Good enough for me!

Last edited by phamilyman : 23rd August 2011 at 19:43.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:45   #3610
BHPian
 
traveloholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: TrafficJamaBad earlier known as Hyd
Posts: 750
Thanked: 227 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I visited Hyd yesterday for some meetings. Made across to Paradise despite all the traffic only to see it closed courtesy Ramzan/Eid or such :((((((
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
wanted to taste haleem for the first time and headed to sarvi b'hills y'day , only to find it closed.
These outlets weren't closed on Occassion of Eid but more of due to the special prayers held by the Shia Sect of Muslims. Paradise, Sarvi, 555 are owned by the Shia sect of Muslims and they keep their business outlets closed for 1 day during this period, when they partake in special prayers. This could have gone OT but just wanted to let people know, why the outlets were closed yesterday.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:32   #3611
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,552
Thanked: 6,310 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

These guys make some amazing cakes.
Labonel Fine baking , Hyderabad India.

There is no signboard outside. At least none that I could find.
Its in the compound adjacent to the Star Hospital, opposite the Indo Arab Mosque.

A walkin customer has limited options available.
Today there was only chocolate cake, vanilla cake and brownies.
A box of brownies contains 12 pieces and costs Rs 400.

Deli 9, has reopened and I paid them a visit today.
They had this lovely custard almond loaf (Rs 75). Excellent.
Also got this Corn Spinach Twisted Bun. (Rs 75) Very tasty.

The baguette as expected were soft on the inside. The crust was as hard as is expected. But they are very good. There is brown and white breads available. Prices are around Rs 40.

Has anyone tried http://www.facebook.com/thecupcakeshophyd

Last edited by bblost : 23rd August 2011 at 21:33.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:24   #3612
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun
I have been coming to Hyderabad regularly since 2006 and am currently staying near Hakimpet Air Force Station,around 15 kms past the army cantt.
I seem to have been committing the ultimate sin ( according to this thread ) by satisfying my biriyani cravings at Paradise.

Would be grateful if you could list out some great biriyani joints in the city.

P.S Where exactly is RTC X roads ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
THE Traffic in that SP road in the morning was unbelievably slow. I think gurgaon rocks now, evne in its worst jams!

lol. will do next time - please advise the good places either around airport, banjara hills, or secbad

nyah. I've eaten oodles of paradise biryani when they used to have the counter at the airport. Good enough for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz
I am sorely missing a 2 wheeler in my stable as I sold my P180 3 yrs back, I am planing to get one soon in order to venture far and wide into hyderabad to verify these claims without worrying for parking space. I would really appreciate if someone can point out authentic biryani places nearer to Madhapur. Until then Paradise, hitec City is my lifeline.
Don't get me wrong. Relatively speaking, Paradise is better than any of the other fly-by-nighters and that overhyped outlet 4 Seasons. I've observed that it's mostly NRHs that like 4 Seasons biryani (in fact they swear by it and try to teach Hydeez that it's great ). Probably because it's bland.

The issue with HH on the other hand is inconsistency. Each outlet serves different-tasting biryani.

@shrjun: As the others have said, there's a list of the "best" outlets somewhere not too far back (tine-wise) in this thread. The rest is up to your willingness to explore.

To reach RTC X roads from Hakimpet AFB (God, I love that place!) take bus #211 to Sec'bad station and then any of the bus #s 1 and 2 to RTC X roads. That's the easiest way because parking space is practically non-existent there.

@Hits/@huntrz: Unfortunately there aren't too many *good* options near B. Hills and Madhapur etc., but Sec'bad and nearby have good options. Once again, please look up that post that lists the best outlets.

Sometimes, auto/share auto or bus/MMTS is the best way to get around town in stress-free manner. I do that every once in a while especially when the weather is good.

By the way, what time of the day was it on SP Road? There's some construction work going on at Ministers Road, and possibly Metro work has started on SP Road too (not 100% sure). That could've been the cause. SP Road is quite smooth and fast during non-peak hours. Anyway, we digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost
These guys make some amazing cakes.
Labonel Fine baking , Hyderabad India.

There is no signboard outside. At least none that I could find.
Its in the compound adjacent to the Star Hospital, opposite the Indo Arab Mosque.

A walkin customer has limited options available.
Today there was only chocolate cake, vanilla cake and brownies.
A box of brownies contains 12 pieces and costs Rs 400.
I heard great things about Labonel and really wanted to try them out but when I heard that their chocolate truffle cake is priced at INR 1100/kg (don't know if it's before tax or all-in), I balked and headed to Cakes 'n' More/Big Byte as always.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:29   #3613
BHPian
 
vamsi.kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 130
Thanked: 105 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Hey Avi,
I would really appreciate if someone can point out authentic biryani places nearer to Madhapur. Until then Paradise, hitec City is my lifeline.
I think you can try "Point Pleasant", which is in the lane opposite Star Hospitals, Banjara Hills. I liked the Veg biryani, which was good and on par or even better than most other regular outlets when it comes to veg. (I am a veggie and have eaten in most outlets that are listed here). I believe the non-veg biryani would also be great as most of my friends have vouched for it. It is also a good place to go with family. And since it is in a by-lane there is no mad rush and is very calm and peacefull without the hustle and bustle of some major joints.

PS: They also have hookkahs (I believe the spelling is right!?)

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 23rd August 2011 at 23:33.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 11:45   #3614
BHPian
 
NoRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Hey Avi,
I would really appreciate if someone can point out authentic biryani places nearer to Madhapur.
Try Pit Stop near Jubilee Hills Check Post. It is in the second parking bay of KBR Park when you are coming from Cinemax / Road No.14. Owned by a very close friend of mine. They make good chicken biryani.

One of the major issue I have with the chicken biryani of popular biryani joints like Paradise, Bawarchi, Bahaar, Astoria & Dine Hill is that the chicken pieces are very big and chicken is the kind of meat that does not cook through and through. Only the top layer gets some masala and inside it is completely bland because the masala does not seep through. If you are unlucky to get a breast piece then you can never enjoy the meat.

I had a discussion with owner of Dine Hill about this and his argument was since chicken is soft meat it tends to break while removing from the handi and as they cook big quantities, handling small chicken pieces becomes difficult. hence they use quarter chicken pieces. That is the main reason why i avoid chicken biryani at these outlets.

I cook chicken biryani atleast 4-5 times a month and some times for as many as 10-15 friends and always buy medium size pieces (leg, thigh & wings) and avoid boneless / breast pieces because chicken cooks and tastes best when the flesh is attached to the bone. Breast piece is fibrous and does not cook well.

You can also try chicken biryani at Blue Fox, Himayat Nagar or Banjara Hills.
NoRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 14:13   #3615
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,518
Thanked: 7,191 Times
Default re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Hey Avi,
I am up for the Biryani meet . Looking to meet you guys soon, there is a lot to catch up from my side, really.
Now I realize why you were so biased towards Paradise. Not that I dont agree. Iam one of the few who still say that Paradise still makes one of the best biryani's in town. Only that you need to depend on luck or rather time your visit appropriate to get their best biryani

I recommend that you be there exactly between 12:30pm to 1:30pm for lunch and prefarably before 9pm for dinner as thats when you can count on the freshest biryani from the kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I think you can try "Point Pleasant", which is in the lane opposite Star Hospitals, Banjara Hills. I liked the Veg biryani, which was good and on par or even better than most other regular outlets when it comes to veg. (I am a veggie and have eaten in most outlets that are listed here).
I went there once and had their NV biryani and didnt like it. Never mustered the courage to visit them again. We Hydeez are spoilt with too many choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
PS: They also have hookkahs (I believe the spelling is right!?)
Havent the cops shut this down recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
One of the major issue I have with the chicken biryani of popular biryani joints like Paradise, Bawarchi, Bahaar, Astoria & Dine Hill is that the chicken pieces are very big and chicken is the kind of meat that does not cook through and through. Only the top layer gets some masala and inside it is completely bland because the masala does not seep through. If you are unlucky to get a breast piece then you can never enjoy the meat.
+1. I am always taken aback when i see the large piece of chicken at any of these hotels like Astoria, Bawarchi, Bahar etc. As you rightly said the meat isnt cooked entirely and i dont like the white color of the meat too much

Wish they were smaller and more time spent on cooking it. Their already good biryani taste would quadruple

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I cook chicken biryani atleast 4-5 times a month and some times for as many as 10-15 friends and always buy medium size pieces (leg, thigh & wings) and avoid boneless / breast pieces because chicken cooks and tastes best when the flesh is attached to the bone.
A perfect example of hitting one's leg with a hammer

When are you inviting the hydeez foodie bunch for your home cooked biryani??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
You can also try chicken biryani at Blue Fox, Himayat Nagar or Banjara Hills.
Blue Fox is my favorite restuarant. There is not a dish they can go wrong with. I always had mutton biryani. Will try chicken too next time. Btw, their prices for biryani has touch the roof. I think it's around Rs.280 for a plate.

Been to "Zurna" on sunday evening to take-away their platter after seeing so much appreciation for same.

The platter which costed Rs.156 AI consisted of :-

Chicken 65 : Small quanity. But, decent. Not great nor bad. Chicken 65 at King and Cardinal Bakery for Rs.45 bucks is the best that i ever ate followed by Papaji Ka Dhaba. Zero coating

2 Rotis were real nice

Chicken Curry : 2 Large pieces of chicken cooked in a mild gravy and gravy was very tasty even though i am not too fond of mild food

Biryani : Good quantity and lovely large grained rice and chicken was cooked perfectly and much tastier than the gravy based chicken.

Qurbani Ka Meetha : 2 Tablespoons worth. Decent, nothing great

Overall, the best Rs.156 bucks that I spent in recent times

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th August 2011 at 14:15.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore Hatari Shifting gears 3598 18th August 2017 13:11
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1130 9th January 2017 10:20
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks