Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:25   #5716
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Looks like Palamuru Grill has really taken off. Went there for lunch today and it was full, mostly techies with ID cards hanging from neck / belt.

My friend is a veggie. So ordered Grill Mutton Chops, Bagara Baigan, Gadwal Dal Fry, Phulkas and Steamed Rice.

Mutton chops were nice. Spicy and chewy, the way I like mutton to be. Surprisingly, bagara baigan and dal fry were awesome. They were good with phulkas as well as with rice.

Bill came to Rs.615.00. Tad expensive but we liked the food.
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:32   #5717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Looks like Palamuru Grill has really taken off. Went there for lunch today and it was full,
I did not dare go there in the summer. Now that the climate is better I think its time for me to pay them a visit.
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:58   #5718
BHPian

Found this on Facebook. Has anybody tried this abroad or heard about it?

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20130603wa0000.jpg
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:02   #5719
BHPian

The only Al Baike i am aware of is the one in delhi who sell amazing shwarma's

This does not seem the same fellow though ,will wait for any one staying close to abids to pay them a visit and put up a review here
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:17   #5720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post

This does not seem the same fellow though ,will wait for any one staying close to abids to pay them a visit and put up a review here
I think the name AlBaik is as common for Arabian restaurants as 'Bawarchi' (red, green whatever) is for Hyderabadi cuisine. There were a few AlBaiks in Kerala, atleast before the time Shawarma was banned, the most prominent one situated near Baby Memorial Hospital, Mavoor Road, Calicut. Anyway, lets hope that we get some delicious arabian food in this new one since they seem to be part of a Global chain.

Slightly, , but are you people (non-malayalees) aware that Shawarma has been virtually banned in Kerala after food contamination in it caused a death in Trivandrum.

The food and health authorities started to keep a close vigil on any place serving this dish and in a very short period, one of the most common dishes in Kerala just faded away without a trace.

The major problem with Shawarma is that the meat is left out in the open grill, making it a breeding ground for bacteria and various other sources of food poisoning. Also another menace was that the unsold meat was shunted back into the refrigerator and re-used on the next day, giving enough time for the bacteria to mutiply.

Anyway, having visited the various Shawarma places in Tollychowky, I can safely say that the hygiene standards are much worse here. Maybe, its luck or maybe no one bothered to report falling ill after eating some of those.

Last edited by autotranny : 3rd June 2013 at 18:19.
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:30   #5721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Found this on Facebook. Has anybody tried this abroad or heard about it?

Attachment 1092117
I was a big fan of AL-BAIK fast food restaurant at Jeddah, KSA for their prawn broast when I was working at KSA. All other Al-Baiks in India are actually using this particular name for it's popularity in the middle east, but they are not at all related. I know one AL-BEK (have a look at the spelling, same case as Winfosys) at Rajajinagar Bangalore which is not at all related to the original AL-Baik.

If this particular AL-BAIK is actually licensed and they offer the same products then it is definitely a restaurant worth visiting.

Thanks.
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:42   #5722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
but are you people (non-malayalees) aware that Shawarma has been virtually banned in Kerala after food contamination in it caused a death in Trivandrum.

The major problem with Shawarma is that the meat is left out in the open grill, making it a breeding ground for bacteria and various other sources of food poisoning. Also another menace was that the unsold meat was shunted back into the refrigerator and re-used on the next day, giving enough time for the bacteria to mutiply.

Anyway, having visited the various Shawarma places in Tollychowky, I can safely say that the hygiene standards are much worse here. Maybe, its luck or maybe no one bothered to report falling ill after eating some of those.
Thats disturbing to know ,i regularly pick up shwarma's from manzar at hi tech city ,yes i do notice the minced meat rolled around a steel rod and left in the open

Now i am in two minds
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:53   #5723
BHPian

Quote:
Thats disturbing to know ,i regularly pick up shwarma's from manzar at hi tech city ,yes i do notice the minced meat rolled around a steel rod and left in the open

Now i am in two minds
Do not worry RR bhai, sometimes the stomach rules over the brain. I wouldn't think twice before picking up a tasty Shawarma.
Old 4th June 2013, 01:47   #5724
BHPian

Quote:

Do not worry RR bhai, sometimes the stomach rules over the brain. I wouldn't think twice before picking up a tasty Shawarma.
There is a 'pariwar' fast food center opposite to DLF building where you get 'special shawarma'. It has more chicken and less of the usual 'fillers'. Priced at 70, it's tasty and well worth a try if you have not had it till now. The chicken is rolled in rumali roti and not kubbus. Wouldn't recommend parcel though since the roti gets kinda hard when cold unlike kubbus. I like this much better than the ones we get at tolichowki.
Old 4th June 2013, 20:07   #5725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's not the same Al-Bake (See pronounciation) that you have in New Friends Colony Market in Delhi. Even I had it from there and indeed they were awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
If this particular AL-BAIK is actually licensed and they offer the same products then it is definitely a restaurant worth visiting
Seems like same group from the image as it says some Egyptian company.

They are close to home, maybe will try it out once

Quote:
The major problem with Shawarma is that the meat is left out in the open grill, making it a breeding ground for bacteria and various other sources of food poisoning.
I concur on these thoughts. Actually, I never reported this back. I had once taken a shwarma from the place above Prince Biryani in Mehdipatnam based on Traveloholic recommendation.

Got the take-away home, took one bite and was shocked to see "blood" inside the Schwarma, I throw the whole thing away and swore never to go back again

Having said that, I agree those ToliChowki and Mehdipatnam outlets selling Schwarmas or Chicken on the grille seems pretty unhygenic and thats why i never dared to take any item from those outlets.
Old 4th June 2013, 20:23   #5726
BHPian

Hotel Green Park.
Afghan Food Festival.
Only for dinner.
Upto 09/06/2013.
600/- ++.
Old 4th June 2013, 22:45   #5727
BHPian

Quote:

Now i am in two minds
Don't be in 2 minds -- eat enough street / junk food and you'll develop immunity.
Old 5th June 2013, 11:09   #5728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I concur on these thoughts. Actually, I never reported this back. I had once taken a shwarma from the place above Prince Biryani in Mehdipatnam based on Traveloholic recommendation.
I have been to a number of outlets, a number of times & have seen Shawarma's being made and this is how it is made all over the world. There is not other way of making a Shawarma apart from what you see.

Quote:
Got the take-away home, took one bite and was shocked to see "blood" inside the Schwarma, I throw the whole thing away and swore never to go back again.
I fail to understand the blood part as the fillets of meat are charred before they are stuffed into Shawarma. If you say that there was "Blood" oozing out, then something is seriously wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Hotel Green Park.
Afghan Food Festival.
Only for dinner.
Upto 09/06/2013.
600/- ++.
Am planning to go to Hotel Green Park for the Afghani Food Festival. Mom saw this advt. a couple of days back and expressed her desire for the this. I think the menu is a mix of Afghani and Awadhi food. I saw Galouti Kebabs and etc also in the Menu. Bajaj Saab, is this Afghani Food Festival buffet?
Old 5th June 2013, 11:39   #5729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Got the take-away home, took one bite and was shocked to see "blood" inside the Schwarma, I throw the whole thing away and swore never to go back again

Having said that, I agree those ToliChowki and Mehdipatnam outlets selling Schwarmas or Chicken on the grille seems pretty unhygenic and thats why i never dared to take any item from those outlets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I have been to a number of outlets, a number of times & have seen Shawarma's being made and this is how it is made all over the world. There is not other way of making a Shawarma apart from what you see.

I fail to understand the blood part as the fillets of meat are charred before they are stuffed into Shawarma. If you say that there was "Blood" oozing out, then something is seriously wrong.
+1 to traveloholic.
This is how shawarma's are made. Nothing unique about the way its prepared.

Mobike sometime please take a look inside the Dine Hill kitchen in Masab Tank.
I don't think you would be going back for sometime.

About blood, was it a chicken shawarma? Was it very early in the evening.
They served you undercooked chicken. Extremely wrong if they did that.
Glad you threw it away. Undercooked meats especially chicken is very unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Don't be in 2 minds -- eat enough street / junk food and you'll develop immunity.
Unfortunately that is not how the body works.
There is always some new strain/ mutation of bacteria that will not be recognized by your white blood cells and you will be in trouble.
Old 5th June 2013, 11:40   #5730
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
+1 to traveloholic. The halaal method also ensures there is no blood in the meat. Are u sure it was not some sauce or ketchup?

Most Viewed