Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st July 2009, 13:02   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Importing cigarettes: Max allowed is, I think, 200, ie 10 packs of 20. Customs officials take this seriously!

Southall Station: a long walk to the main street, but, hey --- work up an appetite !

Buses may well stop in more convenient places, but Southall is a big traffic bottleneck.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 16:47   #77
BHPian

Great thread - I'll be starting an MBA in London this September - am following this thread for tips.

Abhinav- a couple of things I have answers for:
1. P2P downloading etc. - Most University's have a very strict policy about downloading media and using P2P software's on their networks. Thet just do not allow it as it uses up large amonts of their bandwith and is largely illegal.

2. Phones - I'm not sure how easy it is for someone to get a contract as an international student. Most telecom providers will want to run a credit check on you before giving you a phone on contract. Which means you first have to open an account, get a credit card, use it and then get one.
Need some more clarity on this. (BTW - I'm thinking of buying the N 97 as well!)

Seem to be quite a few members going to UK for studies next year - do check out The Student Room: Student Guides, Help, Advice & Community as well. Its a pretty decent forum and will give you some good tips on where your going to be.

Suhail

Last edited by swale84 : 1st July 2009 at 16:51. Reason: fixing link
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 16:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

Would i be able to download stuff by changing IPs etc? i mean Hiding my ip

Which university Swale. Looks like many people are going so we can hvave chances to meet up too in a foreign country
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 18:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Most telecom providers will want to run a credit check on you before giving you a phone on contract.
In case you are new here, then they might take 50 from your account as security as you dont have any credit history in UK and they will return this security once contract of over.

come here and open an account first thing and then take a phone or maybe you can take a PrePaid phone and after couple of months you can choose a contract that suits you.

@abhinav

Why you guys are after P2P download and stuff, its a bad thing mate. And there will be lot of activities here like Studying,shopping,sports and of course gals, i dont think you will get time to download stuff and watch stuff if downloaded.
And its illegal here so i wouldnt suggest anybody to do this.

So spend your time socializing, sports and outdoors rather than spending all your time in from of PC

you guys are young so enjoy life and have fun.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 19:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Not all the time P2Ping.
Watching Top Gear and Songs and maybe some movies are of real interest.
I know there are loads of things but then some time can be taken out.
Old 1st July 2009, 20:42   #81
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Not all the time P2Ping.
Watching Top Gear and Songs and maybe some movies are of real interest.
I know there are loads of things but then some time can be taken out.
Honestly matey, dont worry about these things so much. Simply Sunny is right, it is illegal and hence you shouldnt be discussing it over a public forum - Its one of the various things that should be discussed in private.

Everyone downloads in some form or another and once your at uni and you meet a few of the download/gaming geeks, you'll find your way around it.

Common people, let everyone else know where you'll are studying.
Samir Taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 20:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

So Basically what i have decided till now.

I will be carrying about 4-5 Pairs of Clothes and buy the rest from UK.
I will carry a not too big jacket and a not too warm pullover just in case.
I will buy my laptop, phone from here.
I still have to compare prices of Cameras.
I will buy my watch from UK.
I will not carry any eatables apart from a few packets of chips which are exclusive to India.
I will get a International Driving License made.

I will not be buying a phone under contract and would take a O2 connection with added bolt - ons including the web (Wanted to know if i will be able to access any website / maps / etc from this, if yes, only then I would take this )

I would buy groceries/clothes and other necessary stuff from UK.

Do i get Gilette Mach3 Blades in UK or should i take them from India itself?
I would need to purchase around 3-4 UK type sockets for chargers etc.

Any changes which i should consider?
Old 1st July 2009, 21:02   #83
BHPian

Hi, all the best ! I have lived there for over 10 years ! If you need any advise on anything, just send me a message !

All the best and make sure you complete your course and obtain the 2 years, authorisation to work ( wrongly promotes as 2 years 'work permit' after course )

Educational consultants mislead. Huge difference in Work Permit and the authorisation to work for 2 years after completing course for foreign students !

All the best
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 21:22   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

I lived there for over fifty years! If you need any advise on anything, just send vdiatech a message!

But seriously, always happy to contribute anything I can, but one does get out of touch quite quickly. As an example of that, four years away plus two of mostly driving meant that I used London's Oyster Card system for the first time only last November. Trying to explain to my wife this June was a little tough, as I didn't understand it thoroughly myself! Another thing is that, years ago, I used to have brain cells dedicated to the layout of London's underground railway. Now I have to check the map before travelling.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 21:58   #85
BHPian

@ Sunny: Thanks, thats what I was told as well, but the deposit would go up based on the phone you want on contract. Anyway - I'm sure we'll find out first hand soon enough.

@ Abhinav: I'm going to Cass Business School. It's attached to City University, London. Where are you going?
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 22:04   #86
Senior - BHPian

I am going to Royal Holloway University of London.
About 40 minutes from London via the Metro i guess.
Old 1st July 2009, 22:28   #87
BHPian

[quote=Thad E Ginathom;1367018]I lived there for over fifty years! If you need any advise on anything, just send vdiatech a message!

quote]

Oh no intention to brag about my life there , past the stage ! lol
I only mentioned my years there , to vouch for the quality of information I could provide from my experiences and not just 'here says' !
Having worked for IND, HO . I would proudly call myself an expert on a lot of things, when it comes to UK and life in UK !

Please dont stab me for this deadhorse
vdiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 22:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

An information I would love to know.
How about trips to countries like France, Switzerland etc.
Are they easily accessible by cars/trains etc. What about the charges of the Euro Tunnel train to France and then to paris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Wanted to add - lucky you - UK has some really amazing drives. I was on the road every alternate weekend! If you aren't going to buy a car there - then I suggest national.co.uk - good rates for rentals - my one day car rental cost usually happened to be the cost of one meal at a pub i.e. 15 GBP. Also, once you join their zoom club [joining is free] then you get discounts on insurance and adding additional drivers or hiring GPS.

Btw, all the different car rentals accept Indian licenses as they are. You can drive in the UK without having to change your license if you are there for less than X period, I think it may be 18 months.

Hope you take many road trips and post on tbhp!
I tried National.co.uk.
Its something about cars than car rentals.
Can you help me with some link.
Old 1st July 2009, 22:36   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Do i get Gilette Mach3 Blades in UK or should i take them from India itself? I would need to purchase around 3-4 UK type sockets for chargers etc.
Get used to philishave electric razors if possible. Your student rez room might not have attached bathrooms and going by the 'dry' fetish in eurolands, it is better to get spiffy in your room itself and dabbing on some aftershave before stepping out, supposing you get late etc and have no time for the wet shave.
lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 22:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Get used to philishave electric razors if possible. Your student rez room might not have attached bathrooms and going by the 'dry' fetish in eurolands, it is better to get spiffy in your room itself and dabbing on some aftershave before stepping out, supposing you get late etc and have no time for the wet shave.
I am taking the accomodation with en-suite washrooms.
That is a flat with 6-8 flats.
Each with a bed ( double bed), study table , cupboards and attached washrooms and a common kitchen and dining area.