Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st August 2009, 01:04   #106
IMP
BHPian

Barclays has just started in India, not many branches here.
HSBC was listed (on the university website) as one of the popular bank with students, also it is quiet widely spread out in India.

Visa took exactly 8 days had applied last Friday.

Yes i'm going to Leicester University for Computer Science Masters.
IMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 01:12   #107
Senior - BHPian

Is there any interview for the visa? Is it difficult to get after the visa letter and unconditional offer from the university?
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 01:22   #108
IMP
BHPian

No interviews, I applied through VFS in Pune, got it back delivered at home.

Once you have Visa Letter, they mostly only check whether you have sufficient funds (in liquid form). Just make sure you have the correct and the latest visa letter. My university sent me revised copies of the visa letter 4 times, since other students faced problems in getting the visa. Every time they added just one or two words to the letter. I asked whether other students have managed to get visa on the 4th revision and then applied.
Old 1st August 2009, 01:29   #109
Senior - BHPian

There is this new law about having 12000 pounds + some 5k pounds living fees in your account to get the visa.

Does the loan approval also act as the evidence for visa? Any Idea?
Old 1st August 2009, 01:38   #110
IMP
BHPian

Yes a letter from the bank stating that a loan is available to you is considered as liquid funds.

You should have
your course fee +
living expenses 850 pounds/month x duration of your course(in no. of months) +
additional funds for accidental charges

Last edited by IMP : 1st August 2009 at 01:42.
Old 1st August 2009, 01:45   #111
Senior - BHPian

On the website of RHUL , it is mentioned that i must have the tution fees + around 5400 pounds in total. There wasn't mention of 850 pound per month. or any additional funds.
But still thanks for telling. Would confirm this with the university
Old 1st August 2009, 01:54   #112
IMP
BHPian

Go through the pdf on the UK Visas website. It has all the details.

5400 pounds is calculated as 600 pounds/month for 9 months, but as your univ is near London you need 850(see the pdf in above linky) pounds per month. In the application form you need to show funds for living expenses as 850/600 (based on your location) x duration of course (in calendar months which should be 12)

Edit:I had shown additional/accidental funds as directed by one of the "trusted partners" of the UK Home Office.

Last edited by IMP : 1st August 2009 at 01:57.
Old 1st August 2009, 21:08   #113
Senior - BHPian

This is for someone who lives / has lived in UK or been to one of the universities there.

Are there banks and their ATM facility at the universities. ( Royal Holloway in particular)

If yes, usually which banks ?
Old 1st August 2009, 23:35   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a hint on banks. They all charge you hefty fees to withdraw money abroad (ie back home, if you are Indian), with the exception of Nationwide.

Nationwide used to be a co-operative building society (ie a savings and home loans organisation) before going for public ownership and banking status some years back.

The ATM system is universal; it doesn't matter which bank you bank with, you can use any machine, free of charge. Watch out, though, for some machines on private property such as shops, that do not belong to the main banking chain, and will charge you a fee for withdrawal. Basically, always use a Bank machine, or one which belongs directly to one of the major banks.

You can also get cash when you buy stuff in supermarkets; when you give your card, they will ask if you want "cashback" -- so you don;t have to make the extra trip to the ATM.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

Which bank would you advice?
I will get a Credit as well as a debit card made.
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:24   #116
BHPian

Oh ho, I see that a lot of action has been happening on my thread lately . Hope to meet all u guys when I get back there.

@ Abhinav - Get an account with Llloyd's. They are quite student-friendly. A debit card should suffice in most cases since almost all shops in England accept them.

You should get a VISA easily if your documents are in order ( financial statements of liquid and fixed assets, statement of purpose and the unciditional offer of acceptance. )

Best of Luck !
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion revved up.

Do they have an office here. My dad wants me to have a card which has a bank here in Delhi.
Old 2nd August 2009, 02:01   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, I don't think there is much to choose between the "High Street Banks".

Is there a good reason for choosing one that has an Indian branch in Delhi? There is a chance that it might make it easier for your family to send money to you, if that is an issue. Sending money from India to UK is, I'm told, form-filling-intensive and long winded.

I may (really! I do, often) be missing something, but I'm pretty sure that the only major British bank with branches in India is HSBC. Err, perhaps I should say "with branches in both Britain and India", to be more accurate. Whether those branches have, between the two countries, any effective interaction, is another thing...
Old 2nd August 2009, 02:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
My dad wants me to have a card which has a bank here in Delhi.
then go for HSBC and end of discussion as all banks are good here.

No bank will charge you any fees if you use your debit card in their ATM machine even if you have some other banks's card.

After you have an account and a debit card here, then after 3 months you can apply for a credit card as they will now have your credit history.

HSBC has a plus account which doesnt charge you for ATM withdrawls worldwide besides othere benefits but they change you 12 per month for HSBC plus account.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 02:53   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Beware of credit cards.

They have an absurdly high rate of interest, which does not seem to have come down much despite UK interest rates hitting the ground.

It can be a hard thing, sometimes, when you're struggling, not to reach into your pocket for the credit card. It is better if it is not there to be reached for.

(...just an oldie recounting lessons I learnt the very-hard way!)

As to "premium" accounts that give you "freebies", and then charge for the privilege, weigh them up careful. I always found that my bank's premium account would cost me more than it saved me! 12 a month* (can it really be that much?) is an absurd amount of money to be giving to your bank; for a student, it is better spent on food! (or even, err.... drink? )

*Just think of that in rupees, for a minute! Although, that is a habit you will have to get out of if you are not to be permanently in shock!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd August 2009 at 02:54.