Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 31st May 2010, 10:48   #166
BHPian

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

The company i work for, shares the building space with 2 other companies and the building owner, all occupying different floors. There is a common entry/exit in ground floor, along with common stairs and lift.
Now sometimes, people from the ground floor company (and also from other floors occasionally) use this common area as their unofficial smoking zone. Talking on phone while smoking, having a chat with colleagues etc. while everyone has to pass through this to enter the building.

As i understand, this is a clear violation of law. Is there anything we can do to stop this? One option we have is to ask the building owner to have a word with these smokers. But i don't see this working out, as the they are the ones probably generating the most rent for him. So what options do we have? All suggestions welcome.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
As i understand, this is a clear violation of law. Is there anything we can do to stop this?
This is what we did.

Took pictures of the employees smoking. Found out which company they were from and mailed the photos to their HR.

We have strict rules in Diamond District now. People used to spoke in the passage where cars used to enter the building from the first gate.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 11:43   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This is what we did.

Took pictures of the employees smoking. Found out which company they were from and mailed the photos to their HR.
Thats a good suggestion. But not sure if sending mails to HR will work. One of the offenders is probably the in-charge of this branch, and there are couple of foreign guys (Japanese) as well (Basically the guys running that office)

I found these:
Smokers burn hole in BTC?s pocket, News - City - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror

probably contacting ATC will help.
http://mohfw.nic.in/matter/Contact%2...ol%20Cells.doc
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 01:45   #169
Senior - BHPian

Does the rule also apply to smoking on the move? Its very annoying when someone smokes on the move, since when they flicker the ash it all comes flying into the person behind. Cars do have ash-trays don't they? Yet almost all keep their hands out of the window.

Last edited by Gordon : 5th June 2010 at 01:48.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 02:47   #170
BHPian

you can't just impose on someone's right to smoke like that
GordonGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 02:53   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm, did not know that such a thread existed.

I smoke - have been smoking for a looong time. I know it is bad for me. It becomes clearer when I quit the habit - for anything between 2 days to 2 years. But its a habit and a difficult one to break. So I am back at it. My mistake, I agree.

But irresponsible ? No. I don't smoke in no-smoking areas, move clear if kids and ladies are around etc. I rarely do smoke in the car and yes, do flip the ash on the road - but I make sure there is no biker behind me who can get the ash in his eyes - ofcourse he can put his full-face helmet on his skull instead of keeping it on the petrol tank like most guys in Chennai do.

If at a signal, I use the ashtray. I can't use the ashtray when the car is in motion, because it will take my concentration away from the road, which would be much worse for the suicidal bikers around than my flipping ash on the road.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th June 2010 at 23:40. Reason: As per reported post request.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 20:03   #172
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Anti Smoking Laws Are Here

Discovered this entertaining and relevant thread while replying on the "encourage smokers to quit" thread.

Pretty amazing that barely 3 years after the first rumblings of a ban on smoking in public places was first touted, the transformation is complete. You hardly find anyone smoking in a restaurant or bar anymore. Even if someone is smoking, a polite requst usually works, a big difference from the old days.

Must confess I had not expected this. In fact it's a pleasure to go to pubs these days and not end up smelling like an ashtray. I used to be a smoker but I always felt bad for my non-smoker friends back then when they'd head home clothes reeking!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 22:06   #173
Team-BHP Support

Its been a little over 2 years since I quit. I ha been smoking since I was 14.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 14:33   #174
Senior - BHPian

Never have I smoked in No Smoking areas. According to me, its an insult to the law. Neitehr do I encourage smoking around toddlers/infants/children. Not only is it harmful, it may encourage them to do so too (in case of children). What I absolutely hate is, smoking in the car. Hate the smell of stale smoke in the car.

@Moralfibre: 14? Seriously?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:22   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Moralfibre: 14? Seriously?
Yes. It started in boarding school and continued until 2 years ago. So, from 1997 to 2009.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:40   #176
Senior - BHPian

As an ex smoker myself, I am pleased with not having to put up with the rudeness of smokers in public places. As noop and Swanand mentioned, especially at restaurants & pubs. I choose not to travel in a car or sleep in a closed area/ room where someone smokes. I guess the best benefit is to have true non smoking rooms in hotels.

Now, can we extend the laws to ban public spitting too?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:19   #177
Team-BHP Support

Some great news:
Travel Biz Monitor :: Kerala declares Ernakulam as
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:56   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
you can't just impose on someone's right to smoke like that
Um, one's right to smoke ends when the smoke starts entering my nostrils. Figure out a way to contain smoke and I will fully support smoking in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Does the rule also apply to smoking on the move? Its very annoying when someone smokes on the move, since when they flicker the ash it all comes flying into the person behind. Cars do have ash-trays don't they? Yet almost all keep their hands out of the window.
I think usually the rationale is avoiding smell of smoke in the car or discomfort to the passengers.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 21:45   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
One more thing I can't understand is that smoking is not allowed in a private office, but, permitted on the road. Isn't the road a public place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well is smoking on the road permitted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
A few questions -

what are public areas?
what about designated smoking areas?
Saw this signage on the wall of Sujan Singh Park next to Taj Vivanta at the intersection of Humayun Road and Subramania Bharati Rod, New Delhi
Name:  20130424_141519_190.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  102.2 KB

Seriously now, I wasn't aware of such designated Smoking Zones on public roads too. Or is this some imaginative graffiti?
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote