Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th August 2009, 19:56   #121
gpa
Senior - BHPian

The road even in front of one's own home belongs to the public. I live in a gated colony and sometimes, the entrance road to our layout is blocked by cars of the neighbouring areas. The solution in our case was to move the security post to next to the gate and that solved the menace.

What you could do is talk to the authorities (cops and civil authorities) and try and work out an amicable solution to this menace. Nothing will be gained if you try to use force like damaging their vehicles as that will only worsen the situation.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 20:12   #122
BANNED

its a good thing you are not in kerala. if here you do such stuff as teach them a lesson and all. you wont be in a good shape to tell about the incident later onwards.

why dont you try to be friendly with the auto walas and their union. if the union head is made to understand the issue. the work is half done
Thomas8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 21:18   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
its a good thing you are not in kerala. if here you do such stuff as teach them a lesson and all. you wont be in a good shape to tell about the incident later onwards.

why dont you try to be friendly with the auto walas and their union. if the union head is made to understand the issue. the work is half done
Not just Kerala my friend. This happens in almost every city in India, including Chennai where the OP lives.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 21:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

thomas, i live in kerala too, in an area congested with auto owners ( there is a two digit amount of autos in my lane ) but we are on good terms with most of them. Just that there are some good for nothings among them who come home at night drunk and park their autos in very weird ways/ some lazy asses who park the autos to their convenience. Our lane is very narrow, and most of the others take the utmost care in parking their autos so as not to hinder others ( there is a dude who picks up his autos front end and puts it right next to the wall so that the front wont jut out)

granted that these people are a lot more ethical than the average city autorickshaw guy, but I do get away with being a nuisance to some auto guys
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 22:25   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
aaggoswami, I think its a bit unwise to damage their cars.
Here its the private car owners who have interest in parking their cars in front of their homes which is nuisnace for those living at dead end or away from main road/approach.
The problem is that even this educated mass behave worse than taxi drives or auto-wallahs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
you wont be in a good shape to tell about the incident later onwards.

Can you elaborate ?
If today I fear, tomorrow it will be one level above. These type of situation are disturbing and pinching that leads to high level of frustration.

And I am not just asking the thread starter to take an iron rod and trash others. If its a TP road, call police. This works best irrespective of private cars, taxi or autos. If not a TP road, talk. If talk fails, teach them a lesson with help of like minded people.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 17:54   #126
BANNED

Ages, it will take ages to get some kind of order here.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 23:17   #127
Senior - BHPian

Wow, I wonder how I missed this thread.
Same issues faced by my folks in B'lore. Our house is on a street that connects two very busy roads,and lot of people end up parking their cars/bikes in front of our house to go finish their errands on the other streets.
This becomes a nuisance, since sometimes some characters park their cars in front of the garage, making it impossible for my dad to get the car out. Imagine if this was an emergency situation and he needs to use the car. God forbid!
I got into a tiff with one such moron in June. The guy parked his car in front of the gate, and I couldn't get the car out. I asked the guy twice, and my dad told him a few times too, but this joker would just not understand. Just stood there with a blank look. He was using the space to park his bike, while he was there on business to visit an office next door. So i asked him to park his bike in front of the office, and not in front of our house.
The guy probably didn't understand much english, and then suddenly he got into a fit and sharted shouting in kannada. There were a few of the usual expletive (I'm sure my friends from B'lore would know the usual list), and said 'You don't know who I am..blah blah.. I'll show you..blah blah.'. All I could say is, 'I don't know you, and I don't need to know you. Move your bike'.

And so then he goes on in Kannada, asking me where I'm from etc etc. By this time i was so annoyed, I said ' Uganda. Do you know where that is?' . Another blank look by the joker! I was just too amused to say anything. He did try to get aggressive, as if he planned on hitting me. All I could do is stand like a rock in front of his face. ( If he had hit me,I really don't know to what extent I would have harmed him. A few years with karate and MMA would have come in handy, no doubt).

Anyway, so I ended up getting the car out, but there wasn't enough space to reverse the car, and traffic began to pile up on the street. Back & forth I went, and finally got the car out. As I turned, I looked at the guy and called him and idiot(the windows were rolled up,so he couldn't have heard me. Just read my lips). And then again the guy gets annoyed.
Atleast I'm glad the guy had 'idiot' on his dictionary.

I was at a loss of words after this incident,and i've been urging my folks to move out from there and live away from the city.Atleast such dodos wouldn't have to be dealt with on a daily basis.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 00:50   #128
BHPian

^^ Nitin dude kudos to your extreme patience - i am not sure how i would deal with such morons.

Aago - glad to know things are final under some control!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 08:11   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I was at a loss of words after this incident,and i've been urging my folks to move out from there and live away from the city.Atleast such dodos wouldn't have to be dealt with on a daily basis.
Today if you move family out of the core city to outside areas, the problem will be not be solved. That area will again develop, and as usual dont expect any sort of planning. Things will remain same all over India.
Its just very very bad mentality coupled with hopeless law system.

Start parking your car such that your way of garage is not blocked. And if anybody blocks you approach, simply call cops, they will take care of the rest.
What we dont have here in Gujarat is that linguistic discrimination that is rampant in other places.
I appreciate you patience. I would have dragged him in my compound, called the cops and said he is a thief. I know these are wrong tactics, but there is no way to face these non sense people without teaching them lesson with their weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post

Aago - glad to know things are final under some control!
Yes, now I am determined to be rough. There is no other option.
Old 11th August 2009, 09:37   #130
Senior - BHPian

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, sayeth the Lord in the Old Testament. The world does not seem to have moved on from the time he uttered those words!
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 09:54   #131
Senior - BHPian

Pay the police to do your job for you. That is the only way it works in India.

I will tell you a true story about our Commerce Minister Mr. Anand Sharma and his brother. His brother is (as is Anand Sharma) from the Congress and lives in posh Hauz Khas. My doctor has a house in front of his house. Now Mr. Sharma has a huge house but does not have the humanity to park his 3-4 cars in the house. Instead he has created a removable chain outside his home blocking one lane. People who do not know who he is and park there have had their windows broken. If I park, I get abuses.
My doctor has had a call saying that if his patients park in that place (which is public), his business will be shut and he would soon be in hospital.

I am sure that your neighbours are perhaps not as well connected and have some element of human decency in them.

Last edited by vasudeva : 11th August 2009 at 09:58.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 09:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

Best way to avoid folks parking car in front of your garage/gate is -

1. Remove your car from Garage and park it in front of it
2.I have seen people blocking the area in front of the gate with 2 big boulders but here the downside is you need to be strong enough to move it before removing your car.

These are the only sure shot ways of making sure you can remove your car when needed.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 10:01   #133
BHPian

If you don't want to use the space then better plant some trees with enclosure so that no one will park and also it will protect environment. Better to plant such that no car can be parked but if you want to park your car then you can park with some area covering your gate.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:28   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
My doctor has had a call saying that if his patients park in that place (which is public), his business will be shut and he would soon be in hospital.

I am sure that your neighbours are perhaps not as well connected and have some element of human decency in them.
Actually the one with whom I had fight had good connections. I too was threatened once. Solution : When they were alone visiting some place, I took friends out with me. Stopped his car, snatched all phones and told him to confess he is criminal and is un-necessarily using influence. I managed to strike fear.
You know what these politicos fear, its gundaas. And they have a lot of things to lose, specially they hate negative publicity. Media involvement was the remedy I threatened to use. I am not disclosing how many times I had to get rough, but this had to be a part.

Although OT, I would like to mention here that if British Raj was still present in India, people would have been more disciplined. My mother is from a Rajwada family ( my mother's elders were once small rulers ). My maternal uncle told me how British officials used to visit their area and punish the guilty. He clearly mentioned that corruption was not this high.
Old 11th August 2009, 11:29   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Best way to avoid folks parking car in front of your garage/gate is -
I think what is being desired here on this thread is not just the direct gate access to be kept open, which is a very legitimate requirement, and probably enforceable in law, but something significantly more than that.
By the way, one way to handle the Anand Sharma kind of rascals these days is to set the TV media on to such behaviour. While a lot of what they do is silly and even irresponsible, they can serve a useful purpose too, as in this case. Put them on to the situation, they love to speak up for the underdog and public interest, and if you want to have some more fun, notify someone like Arun Jaitley who will be happy to have any stick to beat the Congress with. It might even get raised in Parliament - sillier things than this one has made it to that forum! Just keep your name out of the publicity, sit back and enjoy!
PS: On the other hand, Mr Jaitley may be reluctant if he is doing the same thing!

Last edited by Sawyer : 11th August 2009 at 11:30.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote