Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2008, 19:13   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default In Kerala, a Swift is DDis, Palio is MJD.

I couldn't help but notice this.. I am currently in south Kerala, and I've been driving around a lot...

If you see a Swift here, 90% chances are that it is a DDis, and if you see a Palio, 95% chances are that it is an MJD. I haven't seen these many DDis or MJDs even in Bangalore. And so far I have seen two Indica Vistas, and they are quadrajets. I have not been able to sopt a single one in Bangalore yet. I was wondering what makes consumers in Kerala so much inclined towards diesels. Any thoughts?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 19:16   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Kerala has always been Diesel crazy. Much much before the modern diesels.

Btw Bangy has a LOT of DDiS...

MJD's and Getz CRDi's are getting common too. Spot one atleast daily.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 00:16   #3
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 547
Thanked: 78 Times
Default

one reason that I can think of, is the addiction to the torque that a diesel can offer (in comparison to a petrol one), though the major reason might be the virtual cost savings that they think their diesel car will give them . I have seen people whose monthly running doesn't even cross 500 km go for a diesel telling that they will save on fuel.God save them.....
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 00:57   #4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Yeah true! It is diesel's own country after all.

My assumption is 75% of the Swifts are diesel and 50% of the Palios are diesel in which 90% is MJD.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 02:39   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Even when Maruti's were the rage across India, the humble Amby still had a good fan following Kerala, as it offered a diesel option. No wonder then that DDiS and MJD are sold in large numbers. Almost all the models will find their diesel variante outselling their petrol counterparts by large margin in Kerala.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 03:03   #6
BHPian
 
kartikkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore...not Bengaluru
Posts: 214
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
one reason that I can think of, is the addiction to the torque that a diesel can offer (in comparison to a petrol one), though the major reason might be the virtual cost savings that they think their diesel car will give them . I have seen people whose monthly running doesn't even cross 500 km go for a diesel telling that they will save on fuel.God save them.....
All complicated convoluted calculations aside, a litre of petrol costs Rs.62 whilst a litre of diesel costs Rs.40. Therefore, 500 kms a month in a petrol car returning an average of 12 km/lt would be Rs.2,500 and the cost of fuelling a diesel car returning an average of 12 km/lt would be Rs.1,600/ That's a monthly saving of Rs.900. Which part of that does not look like a saving on a day to day basis?
kartikkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 06:29   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,288
Thanked: 183 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
All complicated convoluted calculations aside, a litre of petrol costs Rs.62 whilst a litre of diesel costs Rs.40. Therefore, 500 kms a month in a petrol car returning an average of 12 km/lt would be Rs.2,500 and the cost of fuelling a diesel car returning an average of 12 km/lt would be Rs.1,600/ That's a monthly saving of Rs.900. Which part of that does not look like a saving on a day to day basis?
Well, need to add a simple complication to it -
In delhi
Swift Lxi - 3,99,989.73
Swift Ldi - 4,78,015.72

Difference - 78,025.99

Recoverable in months - 86.69554444

Years - 7.224628704

Thats when you just break-even. Then you can start saving Rs 900 pm.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 08:36   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Well, need to add a simple complication to it -
In delhi
Swift Lxi - 3,99,989.73
Swift Ldi - 4,78,015.72

Difference - 78,025.99

Recoverable in months - 86.69554444

Years - 7.224628704

Thats when you just break-even. Then you can start saving Rs 900 pm.
What you say is true if one buys the car in a personal name, else for all companies, there is depreciation too!

The Initial cost is not much when compared to running costs which affect cash flow!


Hence Diesels ALWAYS make a better alternative nowadays!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 08:39   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Well, need to add a simple complication to it -
In delhi
Swift Lxi - 3,99,989.73
Swift Ldi - 4,78,015.72

Difference - 78,025.99

Recoverable in months - 86.69554444

Years - 7.224628704

Thats when you just break-even. Then you can start saving Rs 900 pm.
We bought our Zen-D way back in 1998, and it is still running. 1 Lakh Km mark crossed, and well before that, we had the breakeven because of the amazing mileage it returned (about 22 Kmpl now, it used to return 26+ in its good days)

Nowadays the daily running is very less, but still it is worth it There was a time when Diesel was just 11 Rs per litre, and the Zen-D was more economical than the Chetak we had.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 09:23   #10
BHPian
 
meghan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountain View
Posts: 113
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Well, need to add a simple complication to it -
In delhi
Swift Lxi - 3,99,989.73
Swift Ldi - 4,78,015.72

Difference - 78,025.99

Recoverable in months - 86.69554444

Years - 7.224628704

Thats when you just break-even. Then you can start saving Rs 900 pm.

However don't forget that a petrol gives around 12kmpl whereas a DDis gives around 18kmpl. So difference - 78025.99


Recovery - Rs 5.167 - Rs. 2.22 per km = Rs. 2.947 per km


So total recovery in just - 26476 km!


Thats pretty good i guess. Even for people who cover 10k per year this is good.
meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 10:43   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Quote:
else for all companies, there is depreciation too!
Quote:
So total recovery in just - 26476 km!

Thats pretty good i guess. Even for people who cover 10k per year this is good.
How true!!

Most car owners in Kerala used to be businessmen / professionals. Salaried professionals are few and far between, then and now. <ah. Another opportunity for Kerala bashing>

Even for us, when we were in the business, we had cars - long before the petrol - diesel price dff was a huge. But the, the FE of Diesel cars was far less than that of petrols too; and a petrol amby would return around 12KMPL while a diesel would be around 9KMPL. That was elders' talks, so dont flame me.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 11:59   #12
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,288
Thanked: 183 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
What you say is true if one buys the car in a personal name, else for all companies, there is depreciation too!
Right, but that would put off 33.99% of 78,025.99 over a period of 10+years. That still leaves differnce enough to make a person driving 500km per month not choose diesel over petrol. Unless of course he expects to drive more in the coming years

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan View Post
However don't forget that a petrol gives around 12kmpl whereas a DDis gives around 18kmpl. So difference - 78025.99

Recovery - Rs 5.167 - Rs. 2.22 per km = Rs. 2.947 per km

So total recovery in just - 26476 km!

Thats pretty good i guess. Even for people who cover 10k per year this is good.
Well, all I am saying is that the breakeven needs to be considered before making Diesel/ Petrol decision and 500kms per month might not be an ideal usage too justify a diesel.

To get to a perfect analysis there are a lot more factors but thats not the point here.

Last edited by SLK : 12th October 2008 at 12:08.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 12:14   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,818
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default

Its not just the cost but the driveability too. Keralites got hooked to diesels as soon as the first Ambys were converted with Matador engines. This was followed up with the BMC and Autoland engines which soon became history despite being more fuel-efficient as they simply couldnt give the same 'pull' as a Matador-engined Amby. The Autoland was the most fuel-efficient but the least popular of the lot. We also had Peugeots from the MM540 being shoehorned into the Amby till M&M got a court order to prevent this activity. Several Toyota and Isuzu engines (imports) were also pushed into the venerable Amby in this part of the world - those were not cheap conversions by any stretch of imagination.

Many people spent large sums of money converting their petrol Ambys to diesels - this cannot be because they wanted to save money, because the cost of conversion was often more than the original cost of the Amby.

Most people in Kerala are NOT known to drive sedately and conserve fuel. On the contrary, you have some of the craziest drivers in the country here - you have to see for yourself to believe. Take a trip in a private bus (diesel) to find out.

My antique, lorry-derived, 3 litre pushrod diesel (okay, with a common rail) is more fun to drive than a rather revvy petrol engine like the one in the Toyota Corolla, as I found recently, and I'm convinced that you need at least a 3 litre petrol to give you the same torque as is found on a lesser diesel.

For those still in doubt, read my signature. If you're STILL in doubt, get a ride with the Mallu Mullah on his much abused Qualis which looks like it will fall apart. You would never expect a large MUV powered by a 70-odd bhp diesel engine to be so much fun!

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th October 2008 at 12:23.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 13:39   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I think it is the torque too. The location where my dad is from is pretty hilly. A diesel pulls better. Somehow, I cannot imagine a true blue Mallu in a non diesel car.

BTW, my dad has a Tata Mobile 207.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 21:45   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

There is absolutely no surprise in the fact that Kerala is diesel land. All diesel cars have sold so well in Kerala.

I begged my Uncle to use his brains and buy the Swift VXi over the VDi. His running in a week would be about maximum 50kms. His simple logic, I need to spent less at the bunk each time. Its basically a mind set.

I still remember 2 M800s with a Diahatsu engines in my home town. I was too young to understand the technical specs then.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 12th October 2008 at 21:47.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indica Vista MJD vs Palio MJD vs Swift DDiS greenhorn The Indian Car Scene 452 24th April 2010 18:11
economy diesel duel: Maruti Ritz DDiS vs Suzuki Swift DDis vs Vista quadrajet aura. s_pphilip Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 29th October 2009 09:43
the truth about-swift ddis,palio mjd-engines ram_hyundai The Indian Car Scene 80 17th February 2008 01:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks