Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th October 2008, 09:54   #1
BHPian

Default Archery lessons...

So here it is, since I was 7 I have always loved archery. Growing up I always wanted to take archery lessons, but somehow that never happened.

I am now 26 and want to seriously take up archery as a sport/hobby.

Is anyone aware of where I can take some lessons, or at least get imported and good quality compound bows and other paraphernalia. I have enough open room out of Bombay where I can practice.

Does anyone here take lessons or is into archery? please let me know.

Thanks.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 10:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

@spawnofsatan

Pleased PM me if you get this info. I'm interested as well.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 10:50   #3
BHPian

Add me to this Club, spawnofsatan. the last I checked, gave up because no info on this. En-route to Nashik, did see some company that is well spread out, having some facilities. Will renew search.
neofromcapone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 11:19   #4
BHPian

Archery... Always something I was interested in. I saw the opening lines of the thread and it bought a smile. Here is some info from the net. The second link is to a company in bombay.

Wagle Sports
Manufacturer of archery equipment, cricket equipment, gymnastics equipment, athletics equipment, billiards equipment, boxing equipment, hockey equipment and playground equipment.
Address: 290, Lokmanya Tilak Road, Dhobi Talao, Mumbai - 400 002, India
Phone: +(91)-(22)-22016188 Fax: +(91)-(22)-22087460

Bajaj & Company - Sports - Contact Us
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 12:00   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the info ak916.

@Tejas and Neo - I am still looking for info on this as soon I find something I will PM both you guys and post stuff on here too.

Good to see that others are interested in this sport as well.

As far as a place to shoot, we have a farmouse in Gujarat so that's not an issue, all I am looking for is archery equipment in India, I was going to get some with me since i am leaving for India on Sunday night, but I absolutely have no room in my bags. If we can't find someone to teach this to us, probably will have to look up info online and do it on our own.

Seeing that both you guys are from Bombay, I was wondering if the sports shops at Metro would be a good place to start looking or atleast get some leads. Worst case scenario we will have to import the equipment, You guys know whats the duty on that kind of stuff?

Eventually if we get enough interest I would like to start a club for this, should be fun.

PS - Neo do let us know if you find any info in Nasik, it is not too far from us. I have some friends who grew up there so I will ask them if they know of any place like that.

Last edited by spawnofsatan : 24th October 2008 at 12:02.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post

Seeing that both you guys are from Bombay, I was wondering if the sports shops at Metro would be a good place to start looking or atleast get some leads. Worst case scenario we will have to import the equipment, You guys know whats the duty on that kind of stuff?

Eventually if we get enough interest I would like to start a club for this, should be fun.
Cool! We could start a club as soon as we have more concrete info. I used to do air rifle shooting at the worli range and that was fun too if anyone interested in that.

I know caxton sports guy at metro. i'll ask him.

check this link:

ARCHERY COACHING IN MUMBAI SERVICES from Maharashtra @ Adpost.com Classifieds > India > ARCHERY COACHING IN MUMBAI SERVICES from Maharashtra ,free,indian,classified ad,classified ads,secondhand,second hand

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th October 2008 at 12:14.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Cool! We could start a club as soon as we have more concrete info. I used to do air rifle shooting at the worli range and that was fun too if anyone interested in that.

I know caxton sports guy at metro. i'l ask him.
Definitely, I will PM you guys when I get to India!!!

I have been googling info, but all I find is news of how we lost another tournament.

@Tejas - Maybe you could inquire with the worli shooting range about archery, I bet they would have some leads.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
@Tejas - Maybe you could inquire with the worli shooting range about archery, I bet they would have some leads.
Nope. Worli range (Maharashtra Rifle Shooting Range) exclusively for guns.
Will call them though.
Cheers
Old 24th October 2008, 17:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

if you guys are interested, try the tribal areas of bastar (i think rajasthan, gwalior too), the folks there make some amazing bows with bamboo (composite), combined with metal fasteners for durability, I believe they specifically make some for outsiders (tourist) market.

I have seen one and I know their bows can easily pierce concrete walls.

Rural agra still has some people who make famous moghul composite bows.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 22:07   #10
BANNED

My uncle is an avid archer and so was I a few years ago. I will ask him if he still teaches other people or something.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 22:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
My uncle is an avid archer and so was I a few years ago. I will ask him if he still teaches other people or something.
That is some great news, are you aware of any shooting ranges?
What about gear, where did you and he buy your bows and arrows and other gear from?

Thanks.
Old 25th October 2008, 01:45   #12
BHPian

@Spawn / Tejas, did some goggling, Local Flavour
This is close to home will check it out over the week, as per the article the best place for info will be the new age schools. As far as equipment goes, finding the instructor / training institute will lead us to the best equipment makers. so I will pour my energy in getting one end of this jigsaw solved
Old 25th October 2008, 02:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@Spawn / Tejas, did some goggling, Local Flavour
This is close to home will check it out over the week, as per the article the best place for info will be the new age schools. As far as equipment goes, finding the instructor / training institute will lead us to the best equipment makers. so I will pour my energy in getting one end of this jigsaw solved
I guess you could stop by Prabodhan Krida Bhavan and ask them for more info, plus I am hoping Cyrus has more info also.

I am starting to get excited !!!!!!
Old 25th October 2008, 17:38   #14
BHPian

Found someone in India Contact us
and they have the equipments, @Spawn need you to check if these are as good or better or worse compared to the ones you are getting out there.
Old 26th October 2008, 01:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Found someone in India Contact us
and they have the equipments, @Spawn need you to check if these are as good or better or worse compared to the ones you are getting out there.
@Neo - Great find buddy, yeah those look about the same as they have here, although some here are about $300-$500.

These compound bows look like something we should start out with and if necessary we can import the expensive ones later.

The good ones here have the main body made out of aluminum and then it is precision machined in a CNC machine, the ends or arms are made of fiberglass and are cut by a waterjet machine. I would have to look at the bows in India in person to tell the difference, but then again this should be good enough for us.

We could even contact these guys and find out where we can get lessons.