Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th October 2008, 13:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Serial Blast in Assam, many feared to be killed..

Just got the shocking news now. Serial blasts in Assam(Guwahati and other places in Assam) and 32 feared to be killed till now.
I'm trying to call my relatives in Guwahati but the network seems to be jammed. :-(

Last edited by kaushik_s : 30th October 2008 at 13:16.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad news. in the Buzzars and all that. What is the point of all this senseless violence.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sad news. :(

Serial bomb blasts rip Assam, 32 feared killed
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

May the dead RIP!

Sorrow to the family and the blame game with our politicians & cops! The cycle starts again!!!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:35   #5
BHPian

@ Kaushik - I pray that your relatives and friends are safe.

The rate at which Indian cities are getting targeted, I wont be surprised if the media doesnt cover these incidents in future. It probably will be something shown on a ticker on the news channels. I guess today Shivraj Patil will deliver another one of his "strong" speeches... "We are learning from these incidents"

Last edited by ak916 : 30th October 2008 at 14:36.
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 15:50   #6
BHPian

Serial blasts rock Assam till now 50 feared dead. on a news CH it was coming that High-intensity bombs believed to have been engineered by militants went off simultaneously at around 11.30 am today.

Four blasts occurred in Guwahati's crowded areas. The casualty figures are likely to rise with the condition of many of the injured being critical. The injured included many women and children.
tarunmadhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Was able to contact my relatives and all are fine. And my friends there are also fine.
But one of my cousin's car got badly damaged (totaled it seems) in the blast , he was very lucky that he was not in the car that time.
Old 30th October 2008, 18:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thank god that your relatives are safe koushik.

May the souls of people who lost their life in this inhuman act of terror RIp. I am appaled by this and hope that the people behind this die a dogs death
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 22:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Till now 61 killed and 470 injured.
The number of injured shows the intensity of blasts.
Again the political parties get involved with no results for the safety of common man.
Assam blasts expose failure of intelligence system: Left-India-The Times of India

Source : 61 killed, 470 injured in serial blasts in Assam

Article:
Quote:
Guwahati, Oct 30 (PTI) At least 61 people were killed and about 470 injured in 13 near-simultaneous blasts in Guwahati and three other towns today in the deadliest attacks in Assam by suspected HuJI militants.
The first of the explosions went off at around 11.30 AM near the Ganeshguri flyover near the high-security capital complex housing the Assembly building, followed by explosions at Paltan Bazar and Fancy Bazar here.

Around the same time, bombs also went off in crowded market places of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon and Barpeta districts in lower Assam.

Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi put the toll at 61 dead and 470 injured. Of the six blasts in Guwahati, RDX was used in two of the explosions, he said adding a special task force has been set up to unearth the conspiracy behind the blasts.

Black smoke billowed from the Deputy Commissioner's Office housing the district courts, which bore the brunt of the attacks in Guwahati, as vehicles, including a number of cars, turned into mangled heaps of metal.

Police suspected that the bomb was planted in the court complex on a two-wheeler.

At least 26 people were killed in the blasts in Guwahati where an indefinite curfew was clamped following protests by residents, who accused the police of delayed action, Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarmah said.

While 21 were killed in Kokrajhar, 14 died in Barpeta Five people were injured in Bongaigaon, Principal Secretary (Home) Subhash Das told PTI. PTI
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 22:58   #10
BHPian

Even my parents and relatives are all fine back home.

And as usual, I think it has not yet been covered extensively by the media, maybe because it does not qualify to be a "breaking news" or their satellites doesn't reach that far-end of the earth.
Shakensoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 23:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post

And as usual, I think it has not yet been covered extensively by the media, maybe because it does not qualify to be a "breaking news" or their satellites doesn't reach that far-end of the earth.

Good to hear that your parents and relatives are safe.
In the afternoon, three news channels continuously were giving coverage on the blasts.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 23:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh Lord. Not again. This is horrible. Why cant the CBI or any intelligence (or the lack of) wing interpret such attacks?

May God Bless the souls of those who lost their lives and May they rest in peace. May God give their families strength to bear the loss.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 23:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post

Thank God that they are safe.
Normally media and most of the people outside NE region are not much bothered about the happenings there [even for example, in tbhp itself I don't feel many are bothered or even know about the current happenings there] Sorry if I sound rude but that's the fact.
But this time electronic media is covering the news with some urgency, atleast NDTV, Times Now and CNN-IBN are providing the news almost continuously.