Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th November 2008, 14:50   #16
ECM
BHPian

Funny part is member who posted that link i.e hyper link,google gave it a name of ICICI bank to it inspite of a phishing site!!! Bump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
I got a mail from so called HDFCBANK stating something about my net statement. I innocently clicked on the link and was immediately blocked by Firefox to open the website. Obviously it was a phishing website and I didn't bother to read the content of the mail or else it would have been absolutely clear to me immediately. Dush, even the IT minds can be beguiled by these emails. Scary Thought !!! :O
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 10:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Funny part is member who posted that link i.e hyper link,google gave it a name of ICICI bank to it inspite of a phishing site!!! Bump.
I did not give the link name. When you hyperlink here it pickups the name automatically from the link page header !! So now dont ridicule me !!
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 11:19   #18
BHPian

I got a similar mail but this time the bank it shows is HDFC. I have copied the contnts of the email I recieved too
Dear customer,
HDFC Bank Ltd has added a new layer of security to our NetBanking Accounting feature to help protect your NetBanking account from fraudulent transactions and hackers.
This new layer of security has to do with security questions.

In order to fully integrate your account into this new feature please click on the link below
and fill in the required information for identification and processing.

Re-confirm Your Online Banking Details

Important Notice:- You are strictly advised to match your information rightly to avoid service suspension (TPT Registered Customers Only).
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for using HDFC BANK !
HDFC Bank. All rights reserved.
Information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review the Security Tips in our Security Center.

Once the Re-confirm your Online Banking details is clicked it takes you to this link Welcome to HDFC Bank NetBanking
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 11:46   #19
BHPian

Default Axis bank phishing site

I used to get Axis bank Alerts, though I never had an account with them

Here is one such mail...attaching for ref.
Attached Thumbnails
ICICI Bank phishing site received today in mail-security-alert-axis-bank.jpg  

RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 16:19   #20
BHPian

At this point of time not alone the page but also the site has been pulled down !! Do not know whether it is related to a reply mail which just came in from ICICI thanking me for informing them along with a explanation of what phishing is
See the text
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,
Thank you for writing to us and bringing this e-mail to our notice
We wish to inform you that the e-mail you received is indeed fraudulent and it has not been sent by ICICI Bank.
This is a scam called "phishing" - and it involves Internet fraudsters who send e-mail messages to lure personal information (Internet Banking User id, passwords, credit / debit card numbers, bank account information, or other personal and sensitive information) from unsuspecting victims. Clicking on the link or even pasting it in the address bar of your browser will take you to a fraudulent site.
ICICI Bank will not ask for this information via e-mail or even direct you to a link online. If it happens that you have revealed your account details in response to this e-mail, please call and inform our 24-hour Customer Care immediately. We affirm that we are taking action to deal with the situation.
You may continue to transact with ICICI Bank by typing www.icicibank.com in the address bar of your browser window without any apprehension. We reassure you that we use the latest encryption and SSL security devices to make our web site safe for use. You can expect nothing less from a technology-intensive bank as ours.
May we request you to forward this e-mail to others so they too could be made aware of the perils of "phishing".
Please visit the 'Secure Banking' section on our web site for "Safety Tips" and more information on a secure online banking experience
]We reiterate that ICICI Bank acts at all times with diligence, in good faith, and without any intent of prejudice to the interests of its customers.
Thank you, again.
Sincerely,
Chanchal Srivastav
Customer Service Manager
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by emkay456 : 17th November 2008 at 16:22.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

here is one from citibank

Citibank Online - Sign On

i can't FWd mail to authorities because rediff mail server is erroring out

vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 09:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here is one from HDFC again

Email contents are like

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=2]Dear Valued Customer[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=2]HDFC BANK NETBANKING ALERT SERVICE [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=2]1/19/2009 [/SIZE][/FONT]
HDFC Bank NetBanking Alert Service, has detected some Incomplete transactions and account activity error, Unfortunately we could not rectify this errors and we also could not verify your current information, we suspect this was because you have refused to check on this activity and also refused to update your HDFC NetBanking Account Information.

Either your information has been changed or incomplete, as a result your access to use our HDFC Bank NetBanking Services and eCBoP Internet Banking has been Blocked until you update your HDFC Bank NetBanking .

Please Login into your HDFC Bank NetBanking and update your HDFC Bank NetBanking Account information.

Please click here to Update and Confirm Your HDFC Bank NetBanking Account Details You Must Login to your account from here to resolve problems and have your account updated. Just login to your HDFC Bank NetBanking From here and follow all Instruction carefully. Please do not reply to this Customer Service e-mail. You are expected to complete this update not later than 24hrs from the receipt of this mail.
Your security is important to us.
This alert relates to your HDFC Bank NetBanking profile, rather than a particular account. The Information listed here is for verification purposes only.
"

More
(( DO NOT USE IT !! ))

How can one complain such phishing attacks ??
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 10:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

And what are the honourable techies, sysadmins and legal eagles at the concerned banks doing about this?

Dont tell me that they do not know. I have written more than once to to ICICI, HDFC and Punj. Nat. Bk. about the phishing mails I received. I do not have accounts with any of these banks. There was not even an acknowledgement, let alone a thank you note from the wise men.

THE FRAUDSTERS USE THE INFO ON THE FORMS SUBMITTED TO CONTACT THE CONCERNED BANK AND ATTEMPT FUND TRANSFERS.

Firefox downloads a list of known phishing sites on a daily basis and prevents you from visiting them. IIRC, this list is compiled by Google.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 19th January 2009 at 11:00.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 10:58   #24
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The good option is to use firefox and use WOT addon. It helps you from many wrong sites ...
Internet Security | WOT Web of Trust
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 13:00   #25
Team-BHP Support

I don't have any idbi account but still recv this.

Have sent a report to customercare@idbi.co.in

About this email:
Alert: llegal transaction on your online banking account !!

Dear Valued Customers,

IDBI Bank Ltd dictected through the new online digital security that some one other than you have beening trying to perform an illegal transaction on your IDBI Online banking account.
We deeply regret the inconvenience caused to you. We seek your kind co-operation in our efforts to restore the services at the earliest. .

Click on the link below for the quick and easy process for activating Online Security alert on your IDBI Online banking account.

URL

Thanks for taking the time to learn about our upcoming plan for Online Security alert - it's one more way that IDBI Bank Ltd can make your online banking experience better..Remember always fill in your Personal informations correctly

(c) 2008 copyright IDBI Bank Ltd internet digital security
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 22:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dont think this deserves a separate thread.

I have received a couple of calls from a number, 1244?????? (no zeroes, no stdcode, will post the real number if required) claiming to be from google. The caller wants my address.

Both times they called, i was not home.

Is this a scam?

The reason I ask is - the phone is in dad's name, not mine; so no way he identified me through the phone directory. If he knows my real name (or even my real / normal mail ID, he can easily find my address, which is there on the net (2nd hit on google for me), and my phone number is below the address. I my address used to be a part of my email signature, and it is there on several mails on publicly archived mailing lists. ;-)
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 23:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Did they tell you why they need your address? Best thing to do while dealing with such calls when the caller does not know your full name or basic details is to politely disconnect the call.

I have received calls from a delhi number who claims to be doing some market review for Airtel. Call is usually like "Sir, your number has been shortlisted for a market review blah blah blah... the number have been provided by Airtel.. blah blah blah.. sir, can you give us your name?" I never tell my name, and will disconnect the call. Well.. if Airtel is doing a market review they better know my name. I think this is a kind of phishing scam where they somehow get phone numbers randomly and try to put a name and address to it and make a useful (for them) database which they can use or sell. Who knows!
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:44   #28
BHPian

This was in my Spam mails today. I'm not Axis Banks customer.
ICICI Bank phishing site received today in mail-axis-spam.jpg

Last edited by five46 : 22nd April 2009 at 14:46.
five46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 22:10   #29
BHPian

Default Netbanking error

Tried to login to my account. After successful authentication this is what got thrown on the screen.

They are using Infy BankAway and IBM WebSphere- supposedly best combination in banking world this part of globe.

404 on index.jsp- even housewives writing web-pages would do better.

-BJ
Attached Thumbnails
ICICI Bank phishing site received today in mail-icici2bbank2berror.jpg  

Last edited by bj96 : 5th October 2009 at 22:20.
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote