Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 27th November 2008, 09:47   #181
BHPian

The terrorists have taken Israelis as their hostages it seem, I hope by noon army will be able to do something and even some diamond merchants are held.

If we are not able to prove the world what we can, then there might be possibility of israel defense force to interfere.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:48   #182
BHPian

Now that the terrorists seem to have been looking for people with US and UK visas, I do expect the US to react to protect its own citizens here.
Will they extend technical help to India to try end the seige.
Also with Israelis as hostages their government may come in too.
Will this help or will it interfere.
To be frank, some technical advice and the right amount of help from international experts will help

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 27th November 2008 at 09:51.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:50   #183
BHPian

Angry

All of our great politicians will start giving their comments, only when this is over.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:51   #184
Senior - BHPian

My friend just drove down from Thane to Churchgate (Eros building). Silken-smooth drive, never saw a cop, not a single check, went via VT.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:52   #185
BHPian

So many acts. Many more lies and hardly any lessons learnt.
The way it is going, we are left with no hope. Just have to be fortunate to be alive.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:53   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Why don't we have a SWAT like team for metros?
As someone said, we need an elite fighting unit trained in urban warfare. We don't want to be sitting ducks like this everytime. It is so damn simple to bring explosives/ammos in high density metros.
It is also not possible because of the enormous amount of human traffic. the ratio of money spent on police to the number of people specially in mumbai is very very low.
Poverty gives rise to an economy which has very little resources for governance like public safety, sanitation, traffic, infrastructure.. basically every civic convenience.

There is no magic bullet, really. Hard ways to fix it are there...but they need a lot of will power from everybody.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:54   #187
Senior - BHPian

That is the state of security in Bombay now - and on normal days, we go thro naka-bandhis and police checks. The city looks like a sitting duck
Old 27th November 2008, 09:58   #188
BHPian

US already is ready to offer every level of assistance to India.
However, India should prove they can handle such a volatile situation. What bothers me and probably foreign countries are the little information shared by Indian security agencies.

Pathetic thing was the forces lined up all the people rescued from Taj at the entrance, waiting for some ambulance to arrive to take them. I donno if they are trying to save them from attacks from windows or just being plain stupid to keep them waiting.

Man, this hurts a lot!!!
Old 27th November 2008, 09:59   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Poverty gives rise to an economy which has very little resources for governance like public safety, sanitation, traffic, infrastructure.. basically every civic convenience.

There is no magic bullet, really. Hard ways to fix it are there...but they need a lot of will power from everybody.
That's what the politicians want you to believe. A 10,000 strong well equipped police force, each getting paid at $20k a year would cost 100mn USD or 450 crores a year. Over a period of 10 years, that's about 1-2bn. India has about 300 Bn in dollar reserve. That amount itself can take care of internal security for years. Note that Indian Defence spending is about 60 BN a year.

What could be more important than the life of the citizens of a nation ?

There IS a magic bullet. Money. Indian Govt has plenty of it, trust me. Its just a case of misplaced priorities.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:02   #190
Senior - BHPian

Wonder where is Raj Thackeray and the MNS mobs now?! Send them in to storm the places. Outsiders are storming "HIS" city.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:03   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Wonder where is Raj Thackeray and the MNS mobs now?! Send them in to storm the places.
Exactly. I was wondering about the same thing early morning. I guess not a soul in sight??
Old 27th November 2008, 10:05   #192
Team-BHP Support

Hvkumar: Can you check with your friend if office in and around Churchgate & Fort are operating?

manson.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:05   #193
BHPian

I reckon a lot of T-Bhpians reside in Western Mumbai. I hope everyone's safe. Venture out with caution, guys.
Lets hope this nightmare gets over sooner than later. Three top cops have lost their lives in this operation. Its a very sad day and I am in tears reading all the news, at the same time helpless as well.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:06   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

A few days ago I had 2 friends/colleagues visiting. They were living in the area (not at the Taj, but in Colaba in another hotel) and they walked around the Gateway and took photos of the Taj,
They're back home now but last night both have messaged me in the night with a mixture of worry and fear.

I've received worried messages all night from colleagues, friends and family.

India is a peaceful country full of funny customs and shy people. And this horrifying incident has shaken all of us.

Cowards exist everywhere in life and in every location, this too is sheer cowardice and weakness. Bombay will find a way and things will get better. Let us all have that faith.

My best wishes to everyone in Bombay right now (I'm not) and to your loved ones. I pray that none of you lose anything to terrorism. Not not, not ever.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 27th November 2008 at 10:09.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:07   #195
BHPian

I was following this thread from late night yesterday as the dastardly events were taking place. I hope none of the t-bhp members or their kins are in any sort of trouble. My heart goes out of people who were victims of this carnage.

This opens an eye of how uncoordinated and how primitive our police are. Hijacking a police jeep and then firing from it , that too on a main road!!!. That is shocking!!!.

Its time we change things from top to bottom, go out and vote the next time
Closed Thread