Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th April 2005, 17:39   #16
BHPian

Default nh-17

had driven down to goa from mumbai

v had started late in afternoon from mumbai so halted for the night at a place en-route Hathkhambe

Morning left form there around 6'ish (cold nov morn)

Just after h'khambe was this heavenly stretch..

it wud not have been that gr8 during the day .. but early morn it was paradise

It had a small ghat like road.. the valley was full of clouds with just one peak comin out of the clouds at a distance

Also, along the road wa a small river.. n all through... there was a small patch of fog.. only on the river

It was appearing as a river of clouds.. man... outa this world!!!!

P.S. : would luv to try the ladakh road once.. with its mountain plains + shallow flat rivers (like the one in "But it rained"-parikrama)
Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 18:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well there's a whole list of them, so I'll put them down one by one:

1. Munnar - Kodaikanal via the old goat track. It doesnt get more scenic or wilder than this. Only 4WD Jeeps and two wheelers can take this route, and there was no road back in the late 80s. The wildlife can get pretty wild out here, NO DRIVING AFTER TWILIGHT. Get ready to push rocks out of your path, but the ride is worth all this and more. TO DIE FOR.

2. Cochin - Munnar > for the waterfalls by the roadside and the heavenly drives through never-ending tea estates.

3. Chalakkudy - Valparai via the waterfalls and rapids of Athirampilly/Vazhchal & Sholayar

4. Ooty - Masinagudi (the multiple hairpin-bend route straight down the mountainside). You may choose to drive or watch - cant do the two together, though.

5. Tellicherry - Kushalnagar via Virajpet, the best of Coorg.

6. Wynad - Mysore (dont remember the NH).

7. Kundapur - Karwar on NH 17, good to drive AND watch !

8. Alleppy - Changanassery, where the road goes parallel to the backwaters of Kuttanad (the one where tourists throng to the houseboats)

9. Nagarhole Wildlife Sanctuary during the rains.

10. The ghat section going down to Chiplun (starting at the Parasuram temple) on NH 17.

Finally, the drive from Coimbatore to Palghat via NH47 - where else will you get to see such a phenomenal change in the landscape as soon as you cross from one state to another? The blast of greenary that hits you as soon as you cross the culvert marking the border tells you that you've arrived in God's Own Country !
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 18:27   #18
BHPian

@Steeroid: except for the 4th, 7th 9th and 10th roads.. been to all others. And love them too..
Only recently i did the
3. Pollachi- Valparai - Chalakkudy via the waterfalls and rapids of Athirampilly/Vazhchal & Sholayar........ Simplt awesome.... Read in the post 8 in this thread....
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 18:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does valpari come in the pollachi-solayar dam route???
Well from what i know. You have to go to Coimbatore, from there you take the Polachi route to the Annamalai hills. I think that takes you to a place called Iyyerpadi and from there Valparai is less than an hours drive.

Unlce used to work for Hindustan Lever and had a Bungalow in Valparia. Used to go there during my summer vacations. They're in Calcutta right now and i don't fancy going there at the moment (no offence Rudra but it's the journey that i hate, not the place).

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 18:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity
@Steeroid: except for the 4th, 7th 9th and 10th roads.. been to all others. And love them too..
Have you done the Goat track too, RIcky (#1 on the list)? 4WD or Bike? I did mine with 5 other bikes and the guy with the Roadking was the luckiest since he could carry a spare tyre!
Old 11th April 2005, 18:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does valpari come in the pollachi-solayar dam route???
Yes, your friends took you down that route from what I read, Ricky. Unless you took another (?) route.
Old 11th April 2005, 18:39   #22
BHPian

Woah man, not been there either.... Havent done that road.. May be on my trip to munnar next month, make that trip too.....
Bikes too would be thrilling.. But guess cant do it with a zen?!! oh man....
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 18:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Woah man, not been there either.... Havent done that road.. May be on my trip to munnar next month, make that trip too.....
Bikes too would be thrilling.. But guess cant do it with a zen?!! oh man....
With a ZEN? You wont last more than a couple of kilometers if the 'road' is in the same condition.

I didnt think you'd been there - not many have taken that route because of the condition of the road, wild elephants, wild bison and the occassional big cat.

SOmebody at BS Motoring went down in search of this road after hearing all the stuff about it, but couldnt find it. Guess its still not a road. Its only about 80kms-odd from Munnar to Kodai on this track, but you'll take a few hours to cover it.
Old 11th April 2005, 22:40   #24

Hehe...nice...I see I share some common views with people here. I was gonna mention my superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr FAVE drive here...but think somebody already did...atleast in parts. Its from Bangalore to Ankola to Gokarna (or Goa, either way) ,...NOT the Jog Falls route...the other one where u come to an area (forgetting the name again) where u got sea on one side and backwaters on other). Still takes my breath away each time i go. Not too many northies here by the way is it? Coz of some of the best drives are up in the mountains...
wildnwacky is offline   Reply With Quote