Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2008, 16:13   #31
BHPian

Ym-enjn, Appreciate your concern in ensuring that the passport reaches the correct hands. Guys like you make all the difference in this otherwise selfish world. Pl. take a copy of the letter you would put along with it / details of the passport / courier details as a reference. It shouldnt be that you are later charged for stealing the passport just because you wanted to be a good samaritian.

Since you have decided to courier, there is nothing much left to advise I guess. But since you are in Jaipur(big city), and want to be of help, I felt that it would've been wise to deposit the passport with the Police HQ and get an acknowledgement & post that details to the embassy.

Slightly off topic: You are "paying it forward" buddy. Have you seen this movie?
Old 8th December 2008, 16:30   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you post on Indiamike?
Old 8th December 2008, 17:35   #33
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Thanks.. this is 'the' problem in India.. Do good to others and jump into the well... I have called the embassy, gone to two police stations only for passport of a person who I don't know and will never know. Thats my mistake. I should go and through it back there where it was found.
Nah if one really wants to do good things it should never be counted,sadly you or myself have permenants habits to show what we have done for society,this is sad but true.

(I PM'ed GTO and one more mod before your post. No thanks.)
Does that mean you realised your mistake after posting someone's personal data in open?Perhaps you were not aware of possible hazards of posting some foreigner's personal data in open and that too in a situation when his passport lost and you found it.

(This guy will never go to police station in hope that they will find his passport for him. In every case he will get in touch with the embassy first and from there he will only go the poilce to lodge a formal FIR and will never find his passport. But, now I'll go and give it at the headquaters)
Thats your belief,normally a foreigner always check with police in India in lost passport situation.Do you have a written assurance of ambassy for your safety,can they give you in written?I afraid!

My motto was to save you against any future troubles,perhaps you took my advises in a wrong spirit.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

@Ym-enjn: Great . Well done.

Though , let me share one of my experiences that happened some 15-16 years ago when I was in college:

My friends while coming from Mumbai to Delhi by train had 1 foreigner as a co-passenger. Incidentally, he was coming to India for the first time and was coming to study in the same college as I was and during the journey my friends came to know that he was going to the same city as my college.

Now, at some station, the foreigner got down to get water and lo behold, he missed his train and was not able to get on board -- just like in 'jab-we-met' style.

Now fellow passengers did not pay much attention and only later realized that he had not turned up and there was now unclaimed baggage there. No one was ready to take ownership and even GRP folks washed their hands by pointing out to lots of processes etc.

My friends then took the baggage with them and deposited it at the destination railway station and then informed me about it. I then got in touch with students from my college who were from that country and told that if someone had lost their baggage and to my surprise, in the next couple of days I see a group of 2-3 foreigners in my room.

The person who lost the luggage told me the whole story and mentioned that all his documents (passport, mark sheets etc details) were in that luggage.

I told them that they can collect the baggage from that city and they need to travel to that place. Now the issue was that they had never been to that city so were uncomfortable doing so and asked if I could accompany them there. I readily agreed (it being my home town) and I took them there and with my friends went to the railway station and got their baggage recovered.

The smile and the happiness on that persons face was just worth the effort that my friends had put in for his baggage. Needless to say that the foreigner was very very happy and the 'thank you' he said was one of the most precious 'thank you' I have ever got.

PS: I also took them to my home also and treated them to sumptuous home cooked Indian food.

Cheers,
Old 8th December 2008, 17:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: I also took them to my home also and treated them to sumptuous home cooked Indian food.
Completely OT, Khan bhai,but would a person have to lose his baggage and be helped by Khan Sultan in order to get sumptous home cooked indian food?

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 8th December 2008 at 17:46.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:57   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Completely OT, Khan bhai,but would a person have to lose his baggage and be helped by Khan Sultan in order to get sumptous home cooked indian food?
He he he.. Nice one Hari.

Most welcome any time for a simple home cooked vegetarian meal. When do you want to come over. Consider this an open invitation.

PS: I was recollecting this incident from my college days and anything home cooked tasted delicious those days .
Old 8th December 2008, 17:59   #37
BANNED

I lost 2 hub caps - will you please help me find them Shahnawaz?

Good deed Ym-enjn. I think ECM was just saving you from 'trouble'.

Last edited by hrag : 8th December 2008 at 18:01.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:02   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I lost 2 hub caps - will you please help me find them Shahnawaz?
He he he.. Only if 'the OTR friends' find those and deposit them at some place and inform me. Then I can inform you and we both can go there in your safari
Old 8th December 2008, 18:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The smile and the happiness on that persons face was just worth the effort that my friends had put in for his baggage. Needless to say that the foreigner was very very happy and the 'thank you' he said was one of the most precious 'thank you' I have ever got.

Cheers,
Right way Sir , by helping a unseen stranger, specially for some one from outside the country.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Great Deed Ym-enjn,

Good deeds go un-noticed, for good. Fellow get's his passport and visas will bless you.

Keep it up !

Dwarak
Old 9th December 2008, 20:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thanks friends.

Good news guys.. The embassy called today afternoon to inform that the person who lost his passport has contacted them.. My first question was, is he in Jaipur or in Delhi, as I already couriered the passport yesterday. They informed that he is in Delhi. I gave them EMS number and all. They will get the passport tomorrow as today was holiday.

@ECM: Alls well that ends well. One question though: What if police had asked him to show his ID proof.. What ID proof a person can give to get his biggest ID proof (passport) back, by law? Now don't say photocopy of that passport. I don't know much about what the law says, but isn't the passport property of that nation.

And other than law my personal experience is that when we go abroad, their officials as well as common public help us a lot, at least in countries I have visited. That gives such a nice experience.
I remember when my credit card didn’t worked automatically at a petrol filling station on a highway between LA and Vegas, then a gentlemen who just finished filing in his own car, seeing us being new there took me along with him to the cashier and explained and did once all procedure to do it manually. And there was a queue which he patiently waited in before our turn came. And several other small incidences like that.
Old 9th December 2008, 20:48   #42
BHPian

Done a great job my friend he will thank you for the help you done.
Old 9th December 2008, 21:53   #43
ECM
BHPian

His latest photograph with some identity proofs not the passport photocopy(if he has it works mind you) incase of a lost passport case are inuf and that is why by law you must attach your most current photograph on passport.
Quote:
One question though: What if police had asked him to show his ID proof.. What ID proof a person can give to get his biggest ID proof (passport) back, by law?
Old 9th December 2008, 22:03   #44
BHPian

Hand it over to police and take a receipt letter from them. Better still, get a photo copy of passport and get the receipt signed and stamped on the photo copy. If possible contact Dutch embassy and tell them the details of police station.
but do retain a photo copy of all the paper work done.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:37   #45
ECM
BHPian

Same I advised more than one time but
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
Hand it over to police and take a receipt letter from them. Better still, get a photo copy of passport and get the receipt signed and stamped on the photo copy. If possible contact Dutch embassy and tell them the details of police station.
but do retain a photo copy of all the paper work done.
Closed Thread