Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th December 2008, 11:41   #1
BHPian

Default Mid-range hotel in Trivandrum

Two female colleagues of mine will be attending a seminar in Trivandrum next month and asked me about accommodation options. Unfortunately I last lived there in the early 90s, and any info I may have about the city will be hopelessly outdated.

The three-day conference is to be held at Hotel Mascot and we checked out accommodation there itself, but the room rent works out to around 5K per day... 15K for three days will be unaffordable for them. I was wondering if there are any safe options in the range of Rs 1500-2000 per day in the Palayam/Museum area. If it's more than 1-2 km from Mascot commuting might be a problem. I know of some options in East Fort, but that's too far away.

I did think of Hotel South Park opposite University College, which was brand new and relatively affordable when I first stayed in the city, but I realise room rates would have gone up proportionately and it may now be on par with the Mascot!
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 11:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

there are a bunch of low budget working women's hostels near plamoodu. but some walking may be involved.
on the other end there are some hotels at statue. Pankaj is right by the statue bus stand
Hotel Pankaj - Accommodation
MAURYA RAJADHANI

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th December 2008 at 11:57.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 12:58   #3
BHPian

Thanks greenhorn, I've passed on the info. I guess walking shouldn't be a problem since the distance involved is only around 1 km.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:05   #4
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't Trivandrum & Thiruvananthapuram the same? If it is, then your colleagues have an option with Ginger Hotels.

Ginger hotels | Ginger Trivandrum | Hotel profile

If they are different cities, please don't curse me. I am dumb.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

if you are thinking about the hostels, they are a bit to the interior from plamoodu - charachira etc. You may need some local help for booking rooms ( dont look at me ) If the ladies in question are not malayalis or familiar with kerala, statue would be the better option.
SumitB, they are the same, but the ginger hotel is right near my office ( technopark) , and far , FAR away from mascot, farther than east fort !

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th December 2008 at 13:08.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:32   #6
BHPian

They aren't mallus (I think one is a Bombay-born fraud mallu but I don't suppose she speaks the language) so Statue Jn looks a better option. I considered Ginger, but Technopark is far out of the way as greenhorn said.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:10   #7
BHPian

Edsel, I'd suggest you go for Hotel South Park.
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 16:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't Trivandrum & Thiruvananthapuram the same? If it is, then your colleagues have an option with Ginger Hotels.

Ginger hotels | Ginger Trivandrum | Hotel profile

If they are different cities, please don't curse me. I am dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Edsel, I'd suggest you go for Hotel South Park.
Its cheap?

How about Horizon @ Thampanoor. Theaters are nearby this one and ease of transport options. If veg, then Ariya Nivas (right? ) near Horizon (Aristo Junction).

Ginger is 15kms away from Mascot.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 17:05   #9
BHPian

Hotel Horizon @ Thampanoor near railway station
Arya Nivas@Thampanoor
Hotel Safa International@ thampanoor
Hotel Keerthi @thampanoor
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 17:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

um guys, he needs options in and around the PMG area !
Old 11th December 2008, 18:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
um guys, he needs options in and around the PMG area !
I dont think so he will get nice hotel near PMG.Hotel Prashant is there but that is not good.
Hotel Residency tower @ press road
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 19:15   #12
BHPian

Indrapuri Rajadhani is also an option . But I'm not sure whether it is that good . Usually when we have official guests , this is where they are lodged .
Mistakenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 02:18   #13
BHPian

Thanks, guys. Those were helpful. I've passed on the suggestions; even the ones near Thampanoor. I remember Hotel Horizon; it was decent for the price. South Park would have been ideal, but I think it charges almost as much as Mascot. Let's see.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys , I am driving to Kanyakumari from Bangalore tonight over the long weekend and would like to add Thiruananthpuram as it is just 90 KM , I was there last in 1997.

So need a quick help ,

Q 1. can some one please post phone numbers of the hotels suggested on this thread. Hotel Horizon @ Thampanoor near railway station
Arya Nivas@Thampanoor
Hotel Keerthi @thampanoo
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.2. Also I have fond memories of Varkela , I remember it was around 53 KM but dont remember in which direction ? Is it somewhere mid way between Kanyakumari - Trivendrum , Would it be safe option to take night halt somehwere in Varkela with wife and 3 yr old kid or is it still Phirangi only place ?

Q3 : I will take NH7 from Bangalore to Kanyakumari ?
How and where to join NH7 from Trivendrum or What is the fastest and easist way from Trivendrum to Bangalore ?

Sorry for short notice but this is a last minute plan
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 13:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Guys , I am driving to Kanyakumari from Bangalore tonight over the long weekend and would like to add Thiruananthpuram as it is just 90 KM , I was there last in 1997.

So need a quick help ,

Q 1. can some one please post phone numbers of the hotels suggested on this thread. Hotel Horizon @ Thampanoor near railway station
Arya Nivas@Thampanoor
Hotel Keerthi @thampanoo

There are 4 new hotels in that road. SP Grand Days, Keys, etc. Expect 2.5-3k for double rooms at SP Grand Days, Keys...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.2. Also I have fond memories of Varkela , I remember it was around 53 KM but dont remember in which direction ? Is it somewhere mid way between Kanyakumari - Trivendrum , Would it be safe option to take night halt somehwere in Varkela with wife and 3 yr old kid or is it still Phirangi only place ?

Nope, it enroute to Kollam/Cochin. Is not a phirangi only place. Hotels are in abandon. Taj too is there.

Q3 : I will take NH7 from Bangalore to Kanyakumari ?
How and where to join NH7 from Trivendrum or What is the fastest and easist way from Trivendrum to Bangalore ?

// You need to search. Just know that loads of TBHPians cruise Trv- Bangy these days.

Sorry for short notice but this is a last minute plan
Enjoy your trip. PM if you want my number for quick queries when you reach here.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote