Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2014, 00:37   #106
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
T2 cases in young age is really a lifestyle problem
Cases in young age(not children)are Type 1.5 i.e LADA and not T2 fyi.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 00:24   #107
BHPian
 
OneToughRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: KA-51 & DL-11
Posts: 68
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Recently in a health checkup I got these issues in my report. Blood sugar: Fasting 160 and Random 170, BP 140/90 and cholesterol close to 195. Insulin serum *F test gave 48.85 uIU/mgl which is very much out of range. There were issues in HDL, SGOT and SGPT as numbers were a bit out of range.

It was a setback for me as I have no symptoms of hyperglycemia i.e excessive thirst, hunger, weight loss, rashes on skin etc. But I got upset so went to our family diabetologist who is treating my father since last 20 years. My father is a diabetic having great diet control when he got T2 confirmed 24 years back. But the doc asked me to loose weight, not to skip breakfast, cardio exercises every morning for 30 mins that's all. He said my stress levels are high and that could be the reason for high blood sugar and BP even though I am not convinced and deep down I am assuming that I have crossed pre-diabetic stage towards irreversible diabetic stage. As of now he didn't gave me any medicine and called me next week for some tests which may show whether I am diabetic or no from past 3 months. He said if I am not getting proper sleep, get an alprax 0.5 before going to bed.

From past 3 days, I am going to Gym for cardio, not taking any calorie based food, eating little carbohydrates via 2 toast, boiled eggs without yolk, corn flakes, sprouts and boiled chana. I straight away cut down sugar or excessive salty things. Drinking lots of water and Bitter Gourd + Jamun juice. My weight is approx 104 kgs and it should be between 75-80 kgs.

As all of you are experienced persons what are your views towards my report? Is it a diabetic or prediabetic stage or just stress? Around 8 months back I had a health checkup from Fortis Bangalore where my fasting and random was under 120.

Last edited by OneToughRider : 16th August 2014 at 00:38. Reason: Content and corrections
OneToughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 11:19   #108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,056
Thanked: 5,401 Times
Default

One quick question...
I purchased an accucheck instrument for my father last week. We used one Lancet (needle) per measurement. But my neighbour told that it can be used 4 to 5 times. Is it true?
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 18:16   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
One quick question...
I purchased an accucheck instrument for my father last week. We used one Lancet (needle) per measurement. But my neighbour told that it can be used 4 to 5 times. Is it true?
Plenty of people reuse their lancets. You can find many such cases all over the web. I use mine 10-15 times before I change it as the Bayer teflon-coated one I use never seems to go dull. The J&J ones don't last as long. With J&J, the lancets would start hurting after the third time.

However you should never use the same lancet with any other person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Blood sugar: Fasting 160 and Random 170, BP 140/90 and cholesterol close to 195. Insulin serum *F test gave 48.85 uIU/mgl which is very much out of range. There were issues in HDL, SGOT and SGPT as numbers were a bit out of range.

But the doc asked me to loose weight, not to skip breakfast, cardio exercises every morning for 30 mins that's all. He said my stress levels are high and that could be the reason for high blood sugar and BP even though I am not convinced and deep down I am assuming that I have crossed pre-diabetic stage towards irreversible diabetic stage. As of now he didn't gave me any medicine and called me next week for some tests which may show whether I am diabetic or no from past 3 months. He said if I am not getting proper sleep, get an alprax 0.5 before going to bed.
You seem to be borderline diabetic and you should treat this as a wake up call. Try to get your weight and stress under control. Maybe some yoga can help you as well. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so please do not skip it.

As a diabetic, I am particularly glad that the diabetologist did not start you on medication. Believe me, the medicine is something you want avoid. It is for life and comes with nasty side effects such as headache, gastro-intestinal problems, etc. that I am still trying to cope with after more than 10 years of regular usage.

Last edited by ajmat : 7th September 2014 at 19:18.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 00:23   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mumbai
Posts: 450
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Recently in a health checkup I got these issues in my report. Blood sugar: Fasting 160 and Random 170, BP 140/90 and cholesterol close to 195. Insulin serum *F test gave 48.85 uIU/mgl which is very much out of range. There were issues in HDL, SGOT and SGPT as numbers were a bit out of range.

It was a setback for me as I have no symptoms of hyperglycemia i.e excessive thirst, hunger, weight loss, rashes on skin etc. But I got upset so went to our family diabetologist who is treating my father since last 20 years. My father is a diabetic having great diet control when he got T2 confirmed 24 years back. But the doc asked me to loose weight, not to skip breakfast, cardio exercises every morning for 30 mins that's all. He said my stress levels are high and that could be the reason for high blood sugar and BP even though I am not convinced and deep down I am assuming that I have crossed pre-diabetic stage towards irreversible diabetic stage. As of now he didn't gave me any medicine and called me next week for some tests which may show whether I am diabetic or no from past 3 months. He said if I am not getting proper sleep, get an alprax 0.5 before going to bed.

From past 3 days, I am going to Gym for cardio, not taking any calorie based food, eating little carbohydrates via 2 toast, boiled eggs without yolk, corn flakes, sprouts and boiled chana. I straight away cut down sugar or excessive salty things. Drinking lots of water and Bitter Gourd + Jamun juice. My weight is approx 104 kgs and it should be between 75-80 kgs.

As all of you are experienced persons what are your views towards my report? Is it a diabetic or prediabetic stage or just stress? Around 8 months back I had a health checkup from Fortis Bangalore where my fasting and random was under 120.
Hi.
First of all I am not a doctor.
I am a borderline diabetic and have been for a long time.
March 2014 I had my fasting blood test done and now I am a wee bit better. 112 instead of 115( the top end of the spectrum)
I have been taking fenugreek powder first thing in the morning and in my case it has worked. Cant say the same thing for everybody. Diet is something you have to control.
My advice is avoid bread and I have heard of an yoga exercise which stimulates the pancreas. As I dont do yoga I wouldnt know too much.
You havnt mentioned your age and height but think/twice/thrice before you take sleeping pills. Nowadays every job is stressful and you have to live with it
I had all the problems viz HDL,SGOT, SGPT and on top ofthat very high triglyceride level. Last I checked in March 2013 every thing was within the range and, touch wood, that too nearer the lower one.
Hope this helps
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 15:46   #111
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

My Mother is a diabetic patient

I would be really grateful if some one can suggest a good doctor who practices in and around south Bangalore.

The current doctor is prescribing many unneccessary tests which results in huge money spent. On top of everything, its a pain for a patient to undergo so many tests frequently without any reasons.

Thanks in advance
rki2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 20:18   #112
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 501
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
My Mother is a diabetic patient

I would be really grateful if some one can suggest a good doctor who practices in and around south Bangalore.

The current doctor is prescribing many unneccessary tests which results in huge money spent. On top of everything, its a pain for a patient to undergo so many tests frequently without any reasons.

Thanks in advance
My parents consult a Dr N.Prakash in Sarakki Cirlce , he is a very experienced physician and we know him from past 30 years almost. He runs a small clinic called "parimala clinic" and charges hardly 60-70 Rs for consultation.

Does not recommend any unwanted tests and examinations.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 11:00   #113
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 777
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Cardiac & Diabetes prices may zoom after Govt quietly removes price controls ahead of Modi's US visit. Gift to Big Pharma cos?

http://www.telegraphindia.com/114092...p#.VCOoCZSSx_q
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 11:12   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,292
Thanked: 247 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
One quick question...
I purchased an accucheck instrument for my father last week. We used one Lancet (needle) per measurement. But my neighbour told that it can be used 4 to 5 times. Is it true?
This is a totally unnecessary waste of money. If the same person uses the same lancet, he can use it perhaps for 40/50 strikes. I don't remember when I last changed my lancet. Change it only when it hurts you. Keep the speed high.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 16:33   #115
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

I have made a small website to help parents for Type1 diabetic children as parenting for them is one of the toughest job on earth I tell you.
http://www.insulintreatment.com
This website also covers some basic info for Type2 diabetes as well.
Any suggestions are welcome.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 17:14   #116
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

One of my friend had developed dark pigmentation around cheeks. His Dermatologist advised him to check his "Post Prandial Insulin Levels".

The report shows 260 Mu/l.
Does this indicate that he is a Diabetic ? His Doctor is available only after a couple of days and he is stressed.
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 12:51   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
One of my friend had developed dark pigmentation around cheeks. His Dermatologist advised him to check his "Post Prandial Insulin Levels".

The report shows 260 Mu/l.
Does this indicate that he is a Diabetic ? His Doctor is available only after a couple of days and he is stressed.
The doc asked to check the post prandial insulin levels or the blood glucose levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Recently in a health checkup I got these issues in my report. Blood sugar: Fasting 160 and Random 170, BP 140/90 and cholesterol close to 195. Insulin serum *F test gave 48.85 uIU/mgl which is very much out of range. There were issues in HDL, SGOT and SGPT as numbers were a bit out of range.

Of course this is very late, a few months have already passed.
But:
1. how were the numbers recently
2. bring yourself to BMI<23 and check the readings after you achieve the target weight
3. blood pressure is high usually due to body fat, reduce body fat you will get normal BP reading (this has got nothing to do with dietary fat)
4. if possible do record the basal hear rate readings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_r...ing_heart_rate) the first thing in the morning after waking up

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th December 2014 at 13:00.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 14:19   #118
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The doc asked to check the post prandial insulin levels or the blood glucose levels?
Post Prandial Insulin Level (not Blood Glucose).
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 22:38   #119
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
One of my friend had developed dark pigmentation around cheeks. His Dermatologist advised him to check his "Post Prandial Insulin Levels".

The report shows 260 Mu/l.
Does this indicate that he is a Diabetic ? His Doctor is available only after a couple of days and he is stressed.
Thats called Insulin Resistance,is he over weight?
Sorry for late feedback(really late I know)
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:12   #120
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Are you diabetic?

Being a T-1 motivator in my city I see many new cases of T1D nowadays and it is painful,really painful to see a new child being added in a list of Insulin dependent person aka patient.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you do if a vehicle hits you/you hit a vehicle! rajinibm Street Experiences 30 3rd June 2010 12:53
The car you drive defines you ajmat The International Automotive Scene 11 26th February 2005 01:13
You will puke if you look in!! S350L-E240 The International Automotive Scene 13 5th May 2004 03:02
if you were to buy, which one would you pick _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 4 3rd March 2004 06:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:19.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks