Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th December 2008, 19:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
1. Sorry I dont know any remote for car that works on IR. [Telephone transmit sound waves!!! how about data & Media in the same line ]
2. Just because someone tries something and it does not work, it will never become fiction. Its also possible that it was not tired as how it was suppose to be.
Awesome. MJ you are the only person I know it has worked for Thats team -bhp, nothing is impossible
Tried it in all possible ways when my boss locked his key inside , 3 brands of mobile phones and the landline too. It didnt work

Last edited by sammyboy : 10th December 2008 at 19:53.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 20:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
... the landline too. It didnt work
Possibly this is the reason
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 22:35   #18
BHPian

I stand corrected about IR being used for car remotes. No harm in accepting a mistake, learn from it and move on. Talk about learning, mistake or no mistake, I would definitely want to learn this 'magic' of mobile phones..

Quote:
I am no way here to prove that it works.
Interesting..

Quote:
1.[Telephone transmit sound waves!!! how about data & Media in the same line]
This might help you understand functioning of a cell phone (given the context, I thought 'telephone' would imply a cellphone). However..
Quote:
Oxford City Council: How does a mobile phone work
When you talk into a mobile telephone it converts the sound of your voice to radiofrequency energy (radio waves). The radio waves are transmitted through the air to a nearby base station. The base station then sends the call through the telephone network until it reaches the person you are calling. When you receive a call on your mobile phone the message travels through the telephone network until it reaches a base station near to you. The base station sends out radio waves, which are detected by your telephone and converted back to speech.
Quote:
2. Just because someone tries something and it does not work, it will never become fiction. Its also possible that it was not tired as how it was suppose to be.
Of all the folks around, there is only one person who was able to achieve this feat! It is our sheer misfortune we can not learn this 'magic'

Quote:
Unlock Your Car With Your Cell Phone? - BreakTheChain.org
The letter's basic premise - that you can 'beam' your car's remote lock signal through your cell phone - is the primary point of contention. The technology behind both cell phones and door likes provide the strongest argument that this should not work. While both your cell phone and your key chain remote are based on radio transmissions, they operate on very different frequencies.
Your remote door lock keychain remote works by emitting a low-power radio signal to a receiver in your car. The signal is encrypted specifically to work with your vehicle and is very hard to duplicate. Cell phones use a higher-powered and higher-frequency radio signal (800 MHz and up, whereas your remote locks operate between 300 and 500 MHz). Cell phones transmit voice and data they cannot "carry" other radio signals, which is what this letter is suggesting (unless the author was foolish enough - or thinks you are - to believe that your car lock remote works on audible signals that could be 'broadcast' through the phone's speaker).
Nonetheless, I've had many readers write me to insist that it is possible to unlock your car doors from a great distance using cell phones - most with first- or second-hand accounts of trying it successfully. Few provide details about their "experiments," and among those that do, it quickly became obvious that they were making the critical mistake of failing to ensure that they were out of the normal operating range of the remote transmitter. There are many more accounts on numerous message boards of people who claimed to have tried it and failed.
Nonetheless, people still insist that it is possible and have proffered explanations for why some people have claimed to get it to work from great distances. Complicating the issue is the fact that there are some remote entry systems now available that use a slightly different technology than traditional remote entry and may actually work through this technique. In most cases, however, the technique does not work - which is the largest hole in this chain letter, since it implies that the technique is universal.
Many have offered explanations of why it works in some cases, most of which miss the mark.
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 07:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
I stand corrected about IR being used for car remotes. No harm in accepting a mistake, learn from it and move on. Talk about learning, mistake or no mistake, I would definitely want to learn this 'magic' of mobile phones..
Of all the folks around, there is only one person who was able to achieve this feat! It is our sheer misfortune we can not learn this 'magic'
Alok,

There is no need to be so sarcastic! MJothi is a respected member and if he says that he was able to get it to work, now unless we can prove otherwise, I would like to believe him, and I am sure I can get few more of the Bangalore crowd to vouch fo this. Now, unless he was typing under the influence (which I strongly doubt! ) , he is not the kind of person to go around advocating myth's.

So, would request that you back off. If you find it hard, by all mean, do ignore his posts, but making such slings is not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
...Went out and got 2 more spare keys...
Key 1: for car, daily use.
Key 2: in house, back up.
Key 3: in purse (I hope you do not have the habit of throwing the purse to the side pocket when you get into the car!)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 11th December 2008 at 07:24.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 07:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Alok,

... unless he was typing under the influence (which I strongly doubt! ) , he is not the kind of person to go around advocating myth's...
Certainly no

@aloksiva
the answer is in the very same quote you posted.

Quote:
Complicating the issue is the fact that there are some remote entry systems now available that use a slightly different technology than traditional remote entry and may actually work through this technique. In most cases, however, the technique does not work - which is the largest hole in this chain letter, since it implies that the technique is universal.
Old 11th December 2008, 08:26   #21
BHPian

Thumbs up

Some crazy things happen sometimes which are against all known logic. I for one am sure it must have worked for mjothi .
And either ways, I always believe "Truth is independent of acceptance".
Vivek.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 10:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
the answer is in the very same quote you posted.
Well, in that case I would tend to believe that the central locking in your system is based on this new technique (not sure if that is indeed the case). But for agreement's sake and HappyWheels' request

Quote:
MJothi is a respected member
never once doubted his respectability.. I was doubting the credibility of an incident which happened for just one person but disappointed everyone else.
Quote:
and if he says that he was able to get it to work, now unless we can prove otherwise, I would like to believe him
to each his own mate..

Quote:
So, would request that you back off.
If you insist..
Old 11th December 2008, 11:39   #23
BHPian

i may sound OT, but since there are quite a few messages, i thought that i would pen mine too.

Yes, mjothi is right and i am surprised that opening with a cell phone does not work for others.

It has worked for me atleast in 4 different instances.
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 11:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Quote:
never once doubted his respectability.. I was doubting the credibility of an incident which happened for just one person but disappointed everyone else.
Add one to that.

So, so far the known number of people for whom this worked is just two
Old 11th December 2008, 12:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
i may sound OT, but since there are quite a few messages, i thought that i would pen mine too.

Yes, mjothi is right and i am surprised that opening with a cell phone does not work for others.

Hey Murali, not too sure if this remains OT anymore. In fact, it has become pretty relevant to the discussion now and almost all of us would be all ears to get a better understanding of this phenomenon.

mjothi had mentioned he uses a security/central locking system called 'prerna' which he was able to unlock successfully using a mobile phone. Could you confirm what is the system you are using? This would help us figure out if the systems you guys are using are based on a mechanism other than the ones being commonly used (such as AutoCop which has a sizable market share in this product in India and I am sure AutoCop does not support this).
Old 11th December 2008, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Could you confirm what is the system you are using?
i have Hyundai's genuine alarm system. This was fitted by the dealer himself.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How far away from the phone was the car when it did open? Just curiosity. Because it defies all known theories of physics and telecommunications. Also if this works with car keys, it should work with TV remote as well. No?

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 11th December 2008 at 12:30.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 12:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have tried the phone thing on a number of occasions. It has never worked for me.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 12:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Alok, So, would request that you back off.
Well.. I thought backing off meant agreeing (so what if it is only for the sake of disagreeing), but just realised you had only asked me to back off

Quote:
do ignore his posts
Just ignored another one which otherwise would have elicited a response had I not promised to backoff

Anyway.. let me take this opportunity to act as a more responsible member on this forum and come back to the original discussion and wait to hear from Murali on what kindda system he is using rather than getting distracted by OT comments
Old 11th December 2008, 12:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
How far away from the phone was the car when it did open? Just curiosity. Because it defies all known theories of physics and telecommunications. Also if this works with car keys, it should work with TV remote as well. No?
It works fine at a distance of about 6 inches (approx).