Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 17:18   #616
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 721
Thanked: 170 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Docs - I've a question on using contact lens
All the contact lens have monthly, quarterly, half yearly & annual expiry. Though I cannot find out any difference in their appearance, shape, size or quality, why there's an expiry?

Also, what happens when we tend to use beyond the expiry date? Say an annually expiring lens extended the usage for a month or so? Will that be harmful in anyway? If so how? BTW, there're no spots in the lens or disturbances in vision on extended usage.
Yes. Extended wear contacts are made of special materials that allow more oxygen to reach your eye, which makes them safer for wear during sleep. The FDA determines the maximum amount of time that extended wear lenses can be worn before removal. Some brands are approved for up to seven days of continuous wear; others can be worn for up to 30 days.

You may not be able to see the difference with your naked eye, but the difference is there.Many individuals may also have issues with calcium buildup on the contact lens when you use after the expiry date.This can cause issues such as Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis. This is when bacteria is trapped and an infection occurs.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th October 2010, 19:19   #617
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,239
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
U don't need an ENT specialist to explain this. Let me try .
.
.

BTW, I work as a Corporate Medical Advisor with IT companies and have about 20 yrs of experience.
perfect, but you did not even touch nasal/sinuses issue which started (and has been discussed so far) the discussion .

I have been able to successfully condition my ears with blowing and swallowing motions (on flight, and the wort of all, the scuba diving trip). No ear issues yet.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 21:33   #618
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 218
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Here I want to share my Dad's experience with heart attack/blockage and want to give some important information which many of us are not aware.

My dad had a minor attack and he was admitted to hospital for emergency treatment. After one week of treatment doctor gave the discharge and asked to do the angiography. And further treatment was advised after the angiography report. Dad had done the angiography and the blockage shown was 95%.

The angiography was done in one of the reputed hospital and doctor suggested to perform the bypaas or angioplasty as soon as possbile. We were very tensed. I gave a call to my close friends to have advice. We decided to show the report to another reputed hospital but they also adviced to do the bypaas or angioplasty immidiatly.

Then one of my friend gave us the reference to Dr. Tulfule and told us that he is very honest. When we met Tulfule he turned the whole thing other way. He said there is no need to perform any bypaas or angioplasty and told us that only medicine can cure the blockage. We came back to home with the medicine and some releife.

But still we were not convnsed, how 95% blockage can be treated with the medicine, then why people do the bypaas or angioplasty. I did a lot of search on google but did not found anything which can be informative for such situation.

Next day we called Dr. Tulfule for the next appointment and we said that we want clear understanding about why surgery is not neccessary, when other doctor suggested to perform immidiate surgery. Tulfule is very helpful and calm person, he gave us the last appointment for the day so that he will have enough time to explain us.

Now this is very important for every body to know. What he says that there are three type of veins which goes to the heart. The first type of the vein is less important for the heart, even 99% blockage does not harm the heart and can be treated with the medicine. 2nd type is the important vein and 3rd type is the most important vein. And according to report, my dad had a blockage in less important vein.

3rd day I get a call from my friend and he gave a reference of Doctor Sanjay Patil from Nasik. His close relative had done the treatment from Sanjay and recovered from sever attack. The hospital name is Heart's Sanjivani Center, located in Satana near Nasik.

We gave call to doctor Sanjay Patil and he convenced us to come to his treatment. After a lot of discussion we finally decided to have treatment in Sanjivani Center. Doctor said the patiant has to be admitted for 45 days in the hospital.


This hospital is totally different then usually we see. The first thing you will observe is the lifestyle change in the petiant's life in hospital. No TV, no news paper, food is provided by the hospital, no outside food is allowed, the campus is in very calm location. Activiy start from the early morning 5 AM with light Yoga and education program and many more, All the employees in hospital speaks very softly and calmly with the petiant. The recovery is totally depends on severty and health of the petiant.

The treatment is done by the intravenous drip lasting about 3 hours. The number of drips depends on the severity of the disease. There were 50 petiant admitted when my dad had done the treatment.

My dad recovers within 15 days of treatment.

More on the treatment : Welcome to Sanjivani Heart Centre :
this is wrong information.there is nothing like more or less important artery(its not vein).if the blockage is 95% you will have to undergo bypass.have you done stress test before?
procircuit_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 22:45   #619
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
My area of specialisation is psychiatry guys!!anyone interested for a free consult??confidentiality will be strictly maintained
Dont go to that so called DR MATCHSTICKWALLA OR MATCHWLLA OR MATCHMAKERWALLA I dont know his real name pls stay away from him or you will get Electric Shocks even if you go to meet him for talkover regarding your patient, this man is famouse for giving electricshock to his each and every patient who comes to him for treatment as according to him this method of shocks is fast recovery as he says so in his own web site and patient goes home faster then other treatments in the world over although whole world is thinking of banning electric shock treatment this doctor is in favour of it.be careful even hand shakewith him will end up brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 29th October 2010 at 22:46.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 00:04   #620
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,329
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Yes. Extended wear contacts are made of special materials that allow more oxygen to reach your eye, which makes them safer for wear during sleep. The FDA determines the maximum amount of time that extended wear lenses can be worn before removal. Some brands are approved for up to seven days of continuous wear; others can be worn for up to 30 days.
Maybe I am wrong, but he is asking for the difference between daily disposable, monthly disposable & yearly disposable. And you are explaining the diff between daily wear & extended wear contact lens.


Back to OPs question, early avatars of daily disposable contact lens were identical to the yearly (what used to be called as nondisposable) contact lens. Current disposables aren't same though.

Contact lens are very cheap to manufacture once you have the research, setup & technology - and you have your marketing in place. Whether you manufacture one pair or 30 pairs, the manufacturing cost differs but not that much. The main cost is in the research, setup, technology & marketing which doesn't incrementally increase if you manufacture one or 30 pairs.

The company prices the stuff per customer rather than per pair.

i.e. if the cost of 6 months worth of daily disposables may be a little more than the cost of one pair of yearly disposables.

End result is - they make a similiar profit on a years worth of daily disposables as 1 pair of yearly disposables.

The advantage of disposables is that you don't have to soak it in solution every night nor do you have de-protein occasionally and any problems related to any build up on contacts lens.
But yearly disposables are also safe enough if you take care of them.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 18:50   #621
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Patiala
Posts: 211
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Docs -

My mother was recently diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease. Angiography showed a 75% blockage in LAD artery.

The doctor my mom is consulting prescribed the test, which we got done from a local hospital. The hospital guys, after the test, pressurised us a lot to undergo stenting. Mom's doctor told her that medicines will do and stenting isn't really required.

So, after mom was discharged, she visited the doctor again. He came to know that we have insurance provided by dad's employer, and that the money for stenting had been sanctioned. He then said that in that case, my mom could have undergone the procedure. He said that he had recommended medicines as he didn't want to impose a burden of 2 lacs unless really necessary.

So we're gonna consult some leading hospital like Apollo or Fortis now, but I'd be glad if somebody could give me preliminary advice.

Medicines or surgical procedure ? If surgical procedure, what are our options, and what are the pros and cons of each ?

I ask this because I found many procedures on Wikipedia, and the doctor talked only about stenting. I read on Wikipedia that stents, being foreign objects, trigger immune response, and you have to have some kind of anti-platelet medicine to prevent clotting.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by anku94 : 31st October 2010 at 19:01.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 22:30   #622
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 218
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Docs -

My mother was recently diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease. Angiography showed a 75% blockage in LAD artery.

The doctor my mom is consulting prescribed the test, which we got done from a local hospital. The hospital guys, after the test, pressurised us a lot to undergo stenting. Mom's doctor told her that medicines will do and stenting isn't really required.

So, after mom was discharged, she visited the doctor again. He came to know that we have insurance provided by dad's employer, and that the money for stenting had been sanctioned. He then said that in that case, my mom could have undergone the procedure. He said that he had recommended medicines as he didn't want to impose a burden of 2 lacs unless really necessary.

So we're gonna consult some leading hospital like Apollo or Fortis now, but I'd be glad if somebody could give me preliminary advice.

Medicines or surgical procedure ? If surgical procedure, what are our options, and what are the pros and cons of each ?

I ask this because I found many procedures on Wikipedia, and the doctor talked only about stenting. I read on Wikipedia that stents, being foreign objects, trigger immune response, and you have to have some kind of anti-platelet medicine to prevent clotting.

Thanks a lot.
its allways better to go for medicated stents.
procircuit_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 09:44   #623
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 887 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Yes. Extended wear contacts...bacteria is trapped and an infection occurs.
Well, this was quite an info. Tks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The advantage of disposables is that you don't have to soak it in solution every night nor do you have de-protein occasionally and any problems related to any build up on contacts lens.
Sorry we've to do this no matter its a daily use, quarterly or annual one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
But yearly disposables are also safe enough if you take care of them.
True.

But my basic question still remains unanswered - How to identify a daily/monthly/yearly disposables from each other other than reading from the carton?

From the conversations, I'm beginning to think, if there's one that lasts for lifetime compared to yearly disposables?
aargee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 10:03   #624
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,329
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry we've to do this no matter its a daily use, quarterly or annual one.
Huh! Why would you have to put a daily disposable in a solution every day. You wear it in the morning & throw it out in the evening & wear a new one the next day?

And a quarterly disposable? Why would you need to de-protien it at all? For non-disposable lens, the deproteinising schedule would be once in a quarter - so for a quarterly disposable, you just need to de-protein it at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
But my basic question still remains unanswered - How to identify a daily/monthly/yearly disposables from each other other than reading from the carton?
As far as I know, there isn't an easy way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
From the conversations, I'm beginning to think, if there's one that lasts for lifetime compared to yearly disposables?
Nope - there is none. But the yearly ones last for a couple of years atleast with good care.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st November 2010 at 10:55. Reason: corrected typo
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 16:54   #625
BHPian
 
bikefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 270
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
perfect, but you did not even touch nasal/sinuses issue which started (and has been discussed so far) the discussion .
Using a little common sense, u'd realise that the same logic is applicable to the sinuses.

The skull has 2 pairs of sinuses -
The frontal pair that are located in the forehead above the eyebrows &
The maxillary pair that are situated below the eyes on either side of the nose.

These are cavities that also open into the nose and are filled with air.
If u have a cold or had one a few days back, dried crusted secretions block these openings, sealing the air within.
During take off when the cabin pressure falls, the air inside the blocked sinus wants to expand, giving u the symptoms.

SOLUTION -
- Best option is to steam well before ur flight (as mentioned). This should hopefully dislodge the block and prevent the discomfort during the flight.
- If that does not work, a couple of drops of a nasal decongestant would do the trick.
- Jal Neti is another option if steaming is not effective.
bikefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 22:07   #626
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Patiala
Posts: 211
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
its allways better to go for medicated stents.
Thanks.

And I read somewhere that the stents get blocked in a short time. Is that true ?

Are there any cons of stenting ?

And how much can stenting can cost ? THe doc at the local hospital told us that the stent that was being placed costs one lac [Total cost of surgery being Rs. 1.75 lacs], and that it's one of the best there is.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 00:11   #627
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ghaziabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Here I want to share my Dad's experience with heart attack/blockage and want to give some important information which many of us are not aware.

My dad had a minor attack and he was admitted to hospital for emergency treatment. After one week of treatment doctor gave the discharge and asked to do the angiography. And further treatment was advised after the angiography report. Dad had done the angiography and the blockage shown was 95%.

The angiography was done in one of the reputed hospital and doctor suggested to perform the bypaas or angioplasty as soon as possbile. We were very tensed. I gave a call to my close friends to have advice. We decided to show the report to another reputed hospital but they also adviced to do the bypaas or angioplasty immidiatly.

Then one of my friend gave us the reference to Dr. Tulfule and told us that he is very honest. When we met Tulfule he turned the whole thing other way. He said there is no need to perform any bypaas or angioplasty and told us that only medicine can cure the blockage. We came back to home with the medicine and some releife.

But still we were not convnsed, how 95% blockage can be treated with the medicine, then why people do the bypaas or angioplasty. I did a lot of search on google but did not found anything which can be informative for such situation.

Next day we called Dr. Tulfule for the next appointment and we said that we want clear understanding about why surgery is not neccessary, when other doctor suggested to perform immidiate surgery. Tulfule is very helpful and calm person, he gave us the last appointment for the day so that he will have enough time to explain us.

Now this is very important for every body to know. What he says that there are three type of veins which goes to the heart. The first type of the vein is less important for the heart, even 99% blockage does not harm the heart and can be treated with the medicine. 2nd type is the important vein and 3rd type is the most important vein. And according to report, my dad had a blockage in less important vein.

3rd day I get a call from my friend and he gave a reference of Doctor Sanjay Patil from Nasik. His close relative had done the treatment from Sanjay and recovered from sever attack. The hospital name is Heart's Sanjivani Center, located in Satana near Nasik.

We gave call to doctor Sanjay Patil and he convenced us to come to his treatment. After a lot of discussion we finally decided to have treatment in Sanjivani Center. Doctor said the patiant has to be admitted for 45 days in the hospital.


This hospital is totally different then usually we see. The first thing you will observe is the lifestyle change in the petiant's life in hospital. No TV, no news paper, food is provided by the hospital, no outside food is allowed, the campus is in very calm location. Activiy start from the early morning 5 AM with light Yoga and education program and many more, All the employees in hospital speaks very softly and calmly with the petiant. The recovery is totally depends on severty and health of the petiant.

The treatment is done by the intravenous drip lasting about 3 hours. The number of drips depends on the severity of the disease. There were 50 petiant admitted when my dad had done the treatment.

My dad recovers within 15 days of treatment.

More on the treatment : Welcome to Sanjivani Heart Centre :
Dear Pawan
i am a practicing interventional cardiologist and i will correct some facts that you got wrong.
1. There are 3 ARTERIES in the heart( not veins). Blockage in arteries can be lethal , not Veins. All arteries of the heart are VERY VERY important . Depending on their size they may be less important than the other two, But ALL ARE VITAL for the normal function of the heart.
2. 95 % blockage in any of these three arteries (in Allopathy) MUST and CAN only be cleared by angioplasty (or bypass). No (Allopathic ) medicine will clear this blockage. Allopathic medicine treatment is based on finely controlled and supervised trials and tons and tons of data collected over years. What is adviced to you by experts is the result of this data. Angioplasty or byass trials clearly show marked superiority over medical treatment(i.e. by tablets/infusions as in your case) .
3. You should take the advice of 3-4 other cardiologists also. All doctors will have some difference of opinion at this superspeciality level.
4. There are numerous "ALTERNATIVE" medical practices available. Some good some totally bogus. From what you say it appears that your father underwent "Chelation Therapy". It is a good therapy to relieve patients of chest pain, but it DOES NOT REDUCE THE BLOCKAGE. Read it on the net ( google it -- see results of Chelation therapy/whatever). Chelation treatment , in present day allopathy is reserved for Pateints who are not amenable to treatment by angioplasty or bypass (i.e last resort). Best treatment is to restore flow in that blocked artery by opening it up.
5. Concrete proof of this will be if you go in for a repeat angiography after completion of this treatment. You will see the blockage where it was previously , as it is or only mildly reduced.
6. Yoga/meditation/good healthy diet/abstinence from smoking-tobacco/calmness are cornerstones af any treatment of the body, and part and parcel of angioplasty/bypass treatment(if only you would have gone for it... dieticians come to your room/explain everything etc) You dont need alternative medicine for this. Whatever path you choose as treatment, these things are there for life now for your father( Had these things been there from the start , he might not have had the heart attack in the first place.... but one never knows...)
7. "then one of our friends gave us...... Dr Tulfule .... and told that he is very honest"-- Don't mind but does that imply that the others were not ???
8. Can you post me the angio report/summary (and the degrees/qualifications of Dr Tulfule/Dr Sanjay Patil and what was the approx Bill amount for those 45 DAYS treatment... no offence please) ???
9. What medicines is he on now..? he MUST CONTINUE all the medicines that he was taking prior to this treatment . DO NOT STOP THEM.

(mods , sorry for the double post, please merge if so desired)

@ anku,
75 % LAD BLOCKAGE is a borderline case.What were the circumstances for which she underwent angiography??. If you have not had it done already, i would suggest you go in for a "stress test", i.e. we stress the heart by means of a medicine or by making her exercise(TMT) and see if she develops any problem in the area supplied by the LAD artery . Say if her stress test is NEGATIVE i.e even on stressing her heart, it keeps working normally, that means that the 75 % blockage is NOT SIGNIFICANT and does not need stenting.( forget about surgery... that is not needed in any case). But if it is POSITIVE go in for stenting with a drug eluting stent(preferably --- XIENCE -V).
Cheers

Last edited by noopster : 13th August 2012 at 14:35. Reason: Posts merged
drasitkhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 15:36   #628
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Orthodontists near Bannerghatta rd blr

Hi,

I need to have a Root canal done for my tooth and appreciate recommendations on endodondist near bannerghatta area. I guess I need to look for endodontists

Last edited by ramkris : 17th November 2010 at 15:37.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 16:20   #629
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,329
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

This question is for eye doctors or opticians.

Abroad Saline Solution for contact lens is easily available - it's very cheap also.
Something like this -> http://c3.soap.com/images/products/p/abl/abl-041_1.jpg

I am not able to find this in any optical shop anywhere I tried. When I asked a contact lens shop, he even told me that putting saline will burn your eyes ;-)

We can probably make saline at home - but it's difficult to get it sterile & also this comes in a very convinient squeeze plastic bottle or sterile spray cans. Any idea where one can buy this?

Last edited by carboy : 17th November 2010 at 16:21.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 22:10   #630
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Patiala
Posts: 211
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
@ anku,
75 % LAD BLOCKAGE is a borderline case.What were the circumstances for which she underwent angiography??. If you have not had it done already, i would suggest you go in for a "stress test", i.e. we stress the heart by means of a medicine or by making her exercise(TMT) and see if she develops any problem in the area supplied by the LAD artery . Say if her stress test is NEGATIVE i.e even on stressing her heart, it keeps working normally, that means that the 75 % blockage is NOT SIGNIFICANT and does not need stenting.( forget about surgery... that is not needed in any case). But if it is POSITIVE go in for stenting with a drug eluting stent(preferably --- XIENCE -V).
Cheers
Oh, I am so sorry. I never saw your post.

Well, the problem started when my mom started feeling out of breath on doing even short walks [she's 43, so this was a big concern].

So the doc tried ECGs but found them alright. He put her on some medication after that.

When there was no improvement to her situation, the doctor recommended TMT, and 5.3 MET was the maximum stress she could handle. The doctor found something due to which he recommended angioplasty.

So we got that done, and the people there said that she had a blockage of 75%. They also pressurized him a lot to undergo stenting.

But the doctor mom was consulting [Dr. Singla]visited her later [In the hospital itself], and said that medicines will do in her case.

So we got mom discharged and the next day, my parents visited Dr. Singla and he came to know we had medical insurance from dad's employer, and the amount for stenting surgery had already been sanctioned [The hospital falls under Alankit's(the insurer) cashless scheme]. He then said that if that was the case, she could have undergone the procedure. He said that one reason he was advising medicines was he didn't want to but the burden of the surgery finances on us unless it was really necessary.

So it's been 18 days and mom is now under medicine.

Again, I'm sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for your advice.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations arjyamaj Shifting gears 101 6th November 2014 10:39
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 26 13th June 2013 16:52
Why do doctors make us wait for Hours? Daewood Shifting gears 22 23rd September 2011 21:36
Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice... gbpscars Shifting gears 16 29th July 2009 16:38
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help MillionSwords Shifting gears 13 18th March 2009 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks