Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 17:34   #1531
BHPian
 
Deep Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Udupi
Posts: 590
Thanked: 225 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
appendicitis.

Suppose the results confirm it, should we explore the option of anti-biotics? Given its the first occurrence? I've heard a lot of cases where operation had to be done.
The preferred treatment for acute appendicitis is surgery if the patient is diagnosed within about 48hrs after the onset of pain. After this period, the surgeon will assess and decide on whether to proceed for surgery or manage with antibiotics. Generally it is managed with antibiotics if there is a "mass" formation wherein the appendix gets adhered to adjacent intestines and forms a mass making surgery a little difficult. So the surgery is done about 6 weeks after the acute attack subsides with antibiotics.

Once the patient has one episode of acute appendicitis, he or she has higher chances of repeat attacks, hence appendicectomy is always advised whether emergency or interval.
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 19:31   #1532
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,419
Thanked: 14,202 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

I am not a surgeon but off late the trend has shifted to conservative management with antibiotics and once the inflammation settles down then you can get it operated electively at a later date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post

The preferred treatment for acute appendicitis is surgery if the patient is diagnosed within about 48hrs after the onset of pain. After this period, Tyre surgeon will assess and decide on whether to proceed for surgery or manage with antibiotics. Generally it is managed with antibiotics if there is a "mass" formation wherein the appendix gets adhered to adjacent intestines and forms a mass making surgery a little difficult. So the surgery is done about 6 weeks after the acute attack subsides with antibiotics.

Once the patient has one episode of acute appendicitis, he or she has higher chances of repeat attacks, hence appendicectomy is always advised whether emergency or interval.
Thank you.

We've got her admitted. Surgery scheduled for tomorrow itself. Nice to get second opinion, since initially- I felt we were being pushed into choosing this option
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 11:57   #1533
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,526
Thanked: 1,517 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Hi docs.

My dad was suffering from chest congestion since last one week.
Coughing starts around evening time and it increases while lying down so he was unable to sleep well due to the cough.

Consulted a doctor, he suggested blood test and chest x ray.

Blood test : All Ok except High ESR = 60

X ray : All Ok except " Costophrenic angles are blunt"

After seeing the X ray, our doctor has asked us to consult a specialist with the X ray.

Meanwhile, the medicines are working well, Cough has reduced considerably but he's feeling drowsy and weak, may be due to the antibiotics.

What are the effects of high ESR and how to control it ?
Also, can someone shed some light on the above two observations.
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 12:30   #1534
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,068
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hi docs.

My dad was suffering from chest congestion since last one week.
Coughing starts around evening time and it increases while lying down so he was unable to sleep well due to the cough.


Blood test : All Ok except High ESR = 60

X ray : All Ok except " Costophrenic angles are blunt"

What are the effects of high ESR and how to control it ?
Also, can someone shed some light on the above two observations.

High ESR in this case signifies infection.

Costophrenic angles are blunt because of pleural effusion (Collection of excess fluid in the pleural cavity)

I am sure your father also has shortness of breath and chest pain along with cough.

Waseem
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 14:00   #1535
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,526
Thanked: 1,517 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Costophrenic angles are blunt because of pleural effusion (Collection of excess fluid in the pleural cavity)

I am sure your father also has shortness of breath and chest pain along with cough.

Waseem
Thanks Waseem.

How do we proceed to nail the infection ?

And, your advise on further course of action regarding the observations found in blunt costophrenic angles ?
Sometimes, he does have chest pain and shortness of breath.

I would be taking him to the specialist today with X ray reports.
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 14:18   #1536
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,068
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

I would be taking him to the specialist today with X ray reports.
Yes, i think your should see a Pulmonologist for proper diagnosis.I will not be able to comment further without seeing the X-Ray report.(blunting of the costophrenic angle in one or both lungs etc).

Let us know what the Pulmonologist has to say.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 14:31   #1537
BHPian
 
pyrodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: guwahati
Posts: 127
Thanked: 186 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hi docs.

Blood test : All Ok except High ESR = 60

X ray : All Ok except " Costophrenic angles are blunt"

What are the effects of high ESR and how to control it ?
Also, can someone shed some light on the above two observations.
A couple of questions, does he have any heart problem? swelling around the ankles and/or breathing difficulty?
If no, then he is likely having a chest infection.ESR of 60 is expected in that case. Nothing to worry about if he is improving with antibiotics. ESR will come down as the infection gets controlled. You can put up a pic of the x ray here if possible.
pyrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:40   #1538
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,526
Thanked: 1,517 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Yes, i think your should see a Pulmonologist for proper diagnosis.I will not be able to comment further without seeing the X-Ray report.(blunting of the costophrenic angle in one or both lungs etc).

Let us know what the Pulmonologist has to say.

Waseem.
Thanks. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
A couple of questions, does he have any heart problem? swelling around the ankles and/or breathing difficulty?
If no, then he is likely having a chest infection.ESR of 60 is expected in that case. Nothing to worry about if he is improving with antibiotics. ESR will come down as the infection gets controlled. You can put up a pic of the x ray here if possible.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

1. Heart Problem - NO
(ECG/ BP/ Cholesterol/ Sugar) - All OK

2. Swelling around the ankles - YES
Few months back, he developed a shoe bite around the ankle, it got swollen like a boil and ruptured finally.
It left a hole like a scar, after 2 weeks of KMnO4 solution treatment, the hole finally got patched up.
Swelling is still there and recently it has increased and started paining for him.

We though age factor (65) has increased the the curing time and never thought it would be connected with ESR/ Chest X ray. So didn't mention earlier.

3. Breathing Difficulty - NO

Could you please elaborate on the above and guide us on further treatment.

Will post the X ray soon.

Thanks
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:53   #1539
BHPian
 
pyrodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: guwahati
Posts: 127
Thanked: 186 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thanks. Will keep you posted.


2. Swelling around the ankles - YES
Few months back, he developed a shoe bite around the ankle, it got swollen like a boil and ruptured finally.
It left a hole like a scar, after 2 weeks of KMnO4 solution treatment, the hole finally got patched up.
Swelling is still there and recently it has increased and started paining for him.

We though age factor (65) has increased the the curing time and never thought it would be connected with ESR/ Chest X ray.
Thanks
Its probably not related then. I was asking about swelling without any apparent cause of BOTH ankles (to exclude cardiac causes). Apparently he doesnt have that and is quite healthy otherwise. The antibiotics he is recieving for his chest condition should help clear up any residual infection in his injured foot.
keep us posted.
pyrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 16:43   #1540
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,526
Thanked: 1,517 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I will not be able to comment further without seeing the X-Ray report.(blunting of the costophrenic angle in one or both lungs etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
You can put up a pic of the x ray here if possible.

X Ray report attached.

With antibiotics for cough, he feels out of energy and needs support while walking.
Giving him energycal drink on regular basis.


Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations-kps_8299.jpg

Last edited by kpzen : 19th April 2013 at 16:45.
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 11:01   #1541
BHPian
 
pyrodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: guwahati
Posts: 127
Thanked: 186 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Sorry for the late reply.I did see your post yesterday, but on the small cellphone screen could not make out the X ray.
Only the right costophrenic angle seems hazy. Probably a minimal effusion due to an infection. How is he now? A little weakness is expected. How is the cough? dry/expectoration? Feverishness?
pyrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 22:13   #1542
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,604
Thanked: 1,206 Times
Default

My mother is experiencing pain in the heels. This pain is present when she gets up after a sleep or when she gets up after sitting for more than half hour. Also the pain goes off after she starts walking for some time.The pain is pretty severe and she cant put pressure on her heels. Any pointers to what could be the problem?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 22:17   #1543
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
My mother is experiencing pain in the heels. This pain is present when she gets up after a sleep or when she gets up after sitting for more than half hour. Also the pain goes off after she starts walking for some time.The pain is pretty severe and she cant put pressure on her heels. Any pointers to what could be the problem?
Not a doctor - but this sounds like plantar fascitis or one of the related problems. I used to feel as if I am walking barefeet on sharp rocks even when I was wearing shoes and walking on good roads. I had it - my wife has something which is related. Best solution is to do stretching of underfeet before getting up from bed in the morning in such a way that even the calves get stretched - i am unable to describe it. Google for plantar fascitis - you will the description of how stretch before getting up in the morning. Also, wear shoes all the time while walking (even inside home) & use this inside the shoes - http://www.shopping.com/schering-dr-...ring/info?sb=1

The Dr. Scholls thing was like magic for me. My problem went off permanently after wearing those for 2-3 years.

Last edited by carboy : 21st April 2013 at 22:21.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:23   #1544
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,604
Thanked: 1,206 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not a doctor - but this sounds like plantar fascitis or one of the related problems. I used to feel as if I am walking barefeet on sharp rocks even when I was wearing shoes and walking on good roads. I had it - my wife has something which is related. Best solution is to do stretching of underfeet before getting up from bed in the morning in such a way that even the calves get stretched - i am unable to describe it. Google for plantar fascitis - you will the description of how stretch before getting up in the morning. Also, wear shoes all the time while walking (even inside home) & use this inside the shoes - http://www.shopping.com/schering-dr-...ring/info?sb=1

The Dr. Scholls thing was like magic for me. My problem went off permanently after wearing those for 2-3 years.
Thanks for the suggestion. So these heels should be worn inside another footwear is it?

Where can i purchase these from?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:35   #1545
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. So these heels should be worn inside another footwear is it?

Where can i purchase these from?
Since I am not a doctor - please first confirm the diagnosis with a doctor. Don't assume it's plantar fascitis (or something related) just because I said so.

The heels need to be worn inside shoes. I was living abroad when I got this. But, I have seen Dr.Scholls inserts at Bata shops & some other footwear shops also.

When I was diagnosed, I was given stretching exercises (easily found on google) and was asked to wear shoes all the time even at home - I used to wear a velcro kind of slip on shoes at home which was easy to take off & put on - but it was a shoe and not a sandal or chappal. And these inserts go well only inside shoes - it will fall off inside chappals or sandals.

The exercises and shoes helped somewhat but for me the real relief came after I inserted the Dr.Scholls into the shoe - I accidentally saw this at a footwear shop and picked it up. However, the stretching exercises prevent the problem from worsening.

Last edited by carboy : 22nd April 2013 at 10:37.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations arjyamaj Shifting gears 231 18th August 2017 14:27
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 24th October 2015 12:47
Why do doctors make us wait for Hours? Daewood Shifting gears 22 23rd September 2011 21:36
Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice... gbpscars Shifting gears 16 29th July 2009 16:38
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help MillionSwords Shifting gears 13 18th March 2009 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks