Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 18:54   #1711
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetSoni View Post
Hi

Is it all ceramic crown or metal plus ceramic crown.
I just checked my earlier record - mine was PFM (porcelain fused to metal) - this probably is the same. Didn't ask the dentist - the crown measurement will be taken next time - will ask then. This isn't an externally visible teeth, so PFM is probably good enough.

Last edited by carboy : 26th October 2013 at 18:56.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 20:28   #1712
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Hi carboy

I think this table will provide the required information on types of crown.

Name:  Screenshot_201310262024521.png
Views: 385
Size:  181.1 KB
VineetSoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 23:13   #1713
BHPian
 
callvvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 143 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

For the past few days, my 5-month old son's head (esp. the back-portion of the head) is warmer compared to the front-portion or the rest of his body. If we touch the head, it feels like he is having some temperature. However, the body temperature seems to be normal.

We checked with the pediatrician too and he says that this is quite normal. My wife also says that since that portion of the head is always in constant touch with the ground, it might be so.

Your advice on this please!
callvvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 08:14   #1714
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 526
Thanked: 101 Times
Question Re: Anaemic with HB level of around 7?

Could anyone here suggest a good hemotalogist in Bangalore?

This is for an elderly whose HB(Haemoglobin) levels keep dropping and he gets chest pain/upper back pain. The doctors at Jayadeva are clueless on, how he is losing the haemoglobin content in the blood. The HB levels are around 7 and he has been diagnosed as CKD stage IV. They have suggested to contact hemotalogist first and then if needed a nephrologist.

Please advise!
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 08:17   #1715
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetSoni View Post
Hi carboy

I think this table will provide the required information on types of crown.
She was fitted with a PFM crown because the dentist said that the metal free wouldn't have enough strength to take the loads on that teeth. Thank you everyone for all your help.

Last edited by carboy : 9th November 2013 at 08:18.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 09:35   #1716
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
She was fitted with a PFM crown because the dentist said that the metal free wouldn't have enough strength to take the loads on that teeth. Thank you everyone for all your help.
That is perfect.
Even I advice my patients the same.
Metal free crowns for anterior teeth and PFM for posterior.
As front teeth do not take more pressure and they require better aesthetics.
But as doctors its our duty to let you know about everything, then the choice is yours.

take care
and remember to rinse after every meal.
VineetSoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 11:07   #1717
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

My sister (45 years old) did some tests (not told by any doctor) - everything came OK, except for the thyroid profile. The TSH levels which came high (T3 & T4 were OK). So now she has to go to a doctor to get the medicine prescribed. Is a regular doctor good enough for this - or is there a reason to go to an endocrinologist?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 11:12   #1718
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,497
Thanked: 1,657 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
For the past few days, my 5-month old son's head (esp. the back-portion of the head) is warmer compared to the front-portion or the rest of his body. If we touch the head, it feels like he is having some temperature. However, the body temperature seems to be normal.

We checked with the pediatrician too and he says that this is quite normal. My wife also says that since that portion of the head is always in constant touch with the ground, it might be so.

Your advice on this please!
Same situation here for my 5 month old too. But its not substantially warm to be alarmed. My parents said that it was normal.
Even I think it makes sense that the kid is lying flat for longer periods of time.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 11:17   #1719
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 303
Thanked: 360 Times
Post re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My sister (45 years old) did some tests (not told by any doctor) - everything came OK, except for the thyroid profile. The TSH levels which came high (T3 & T4 were OK). So now she has to go to a doctor to get the medicine prescribed. Is a regular doctor good enough for this - or is there a reason to go to an endocrinologist?
I keep telling people if you undergo tests which are unnecessary, you might have to deal with really complex and confusing scenarios. It's subclinical hypothyroidism (Assuming she doesn't have symptoms of Hypothyroidism). A good physician would be enough. He/She might prescribe .25ug of Levothyroxin.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 19:53   #1720
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
I keep telling people if you undergo tests which are unnecessary, you might have to deal with really complex and confusing scenarios. It's subclinical hypothyroidism (Assuming she doesn't have symptoms of Hypothyroidism).
She(age 44) has had symptoms like hair loss and she feels cold all the time and she gained weight (all this is for 6-7 years) but the tests have always come normal before.

These were the results this time.

TSH - 10.56 (.35 - 5.5 ulU/mL)
Total T3 - 1.48 (0.60 - 1.81 ng/mL)
Total T4 - 9.00 (5.01 - 12.45 ug/dL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
A good physician would be enough. He/She might prescribe .25ug of Levothyroxin.
A little problem happened when she went to a doctor today. Since we don't know any doctor in this area she went to one of those multispeciality clinics. She asked the receptionist for a general physician - receptionist asked whether she wants a homeopath & she said no. Receptionist sent her to one of the rooms. As soon as she went in, she noticed that the prescription pad of the doctor said M.D. (Hom), so she told him that she wanted a regular doctor & was going to walk out but he said he practices both Homeopathy & western medicine. Since she was already in, she let him look at the report. He prescribed Eltroxin 25mcg (Thyroxine Sodium) once everyday for 1 month on empty stomach in the morning & then test again after a month & come back to adjust dosage.

Is Thyroxine is the same thing you said i.e. levothyroxine? She is now planning to take this for 1 month & then test & then search for a general physician to go to - I hope sounds OK. Also next time she tests, should she take the medicine and test or test without the medicine (forgot to ask the doctor this).

Last edited by carboy : 9th November 2013 at 19:55.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 20:08   #1721
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 303
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

She(age 44) has had symptoms like hair loss and she feels cold all the time and she gained weight (all this is for 6-7 years) but the tests have always come normal before.

These were the results this time.

TSH - 10.56 (.35 - 5.5 ulU/mL)
Total T3 - 1.48 (0.60 - 1.81 ng/mL)
Total T4 - 9.00 (5.01 - 12.45 ug/dL)

A little problem happened when she went to a doctor today. Since we don't know any doctor in this area she went to one of those multispeciality clinics. She asked the receptionist for a general physician - receptionist asked whether she wants a homeopath & she said no. Receptionist sent her to one of the rooms. As soon as she went in, she noticed that the prescription pad of the doctor said M.D. (Hom), so she told him that she wanted a regular doctor & was going to walk out but he said he practices both Homeopathy & western medicine. Since she was already in, she let him look at the report. He prescribed Eltroxin 25mcg (Thyroxine Sodium) once everyday for 1 month on empty stomach in the morning & then test again after a month & come back to adjust dosage.

Is Thyroxine is the same thing you said i.e. levothyroxine? She is now planning to take this for 1 month & then test & then search for a general physician to go to - I hope sounds OK. Also next time she tests, should she take the medicine and test or test without the medicine (forgot to ask the doctor this).
Yes Eltroxin is Levothyroxin. For symptomatic hypothyroidism the dose looks less. Nevertheless please go to a regular physician or endocrinologist not a quack. She does require a thorough check up.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 20:29   #1722
Newbie
 
Cedia2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
She(age 44) has had symptoms like hair loss and she feels cold all the time and she gained weight (all this is for 6-7 years) but the tests have always come normal before.

These were the results this time.

TSH - 10.56 (.35 - 5.5 ulU/mL)
Total T3 - 1.48 (0.60 - 1.81 ng/mL)
Total T4 - 9.00 (5.01 - 12.45 ug/dL)
Is Thyroxine is the same thing you said i.e. levothyroxine? She is now planning to take this for 1 month & then test & then search for a general physician to go to - I hope sounds OK. Also next time she tests, should she take the medicine and test or test without the medicine (forgot to ask the doctor this).
yes, its the same. Its only an isomer of throxine. But as a practising general physician in Coimbatore, I recommend 100micrograms of thyroxine in the morning before food for one month and check after that. Need not skip the dose before doing the test. After a month's report, the doc can reduce the dose to 50micrograms. Even though your T3 and t4 is normal, what you have done is total t3 t4 levels. Appropriate would be free t3 t4 levels. TSH is very important and in your case, it should be treated.
Cedia2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 20:30   #1723
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Yes Eltroxin is Levothyroxin. For symptomatic hypothyroidism the dose looks less. Nevertheless please go to a regular physician or endocrinologist not a quack. She does require a thorough check up.
Ok. Thank you

So I am looking for a good General Physician and also a good Dermatologist in the Mulund area.

I have tried 3 general physicians here (I am rather new to this area - couple of years) - one was good (Dr. Allan Castelino) but you always have to wait for 60-90 minutes because of the long line so it becomes very difficult.
Another was good but he keeps his consulting room door open and also the next in line patient sitting on a chair at the door & it becomes very uncomfortable.
A third one was also good but he refuses to prescribe medicine - he always gives the medicines himself and asks to come after 3 days - he point blank refuses to even tell what medicine it is (I have written earlier in this thread about this).

So if anyone has a recommendation for a good GP and a good dermatologist in Mulund (West), please let me know.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 05:21   #1724
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 526
Thanked: 101 Times
Question Re: Treatment for Elderly Anaemic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could anyone here suggest a good hemotalogist in Bangalore?

This is for an elderly whose HB(Haemoglobin) levels keep dropping and he gets chest pain/upper back pain. The doctors at Jayadeva are clueless on, how he is losing the haemoglobin content in the blood. The HB levels are around 7 and he has been diagnosed as CKD stage IV. They have suggested to contact hemotalogist first and then if needed a nephrologist.
What might be the treatment options for elderly anaemic patients? Are there any cure/treatment available in alternative medicines?

Please advise!
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 17:43   #1725
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Need some advise regarding muscle pain on my left arm.

I was bitten by a puppy and as a result had to get rabies injections. The last of these injections was about 13 days back.

However the last injection did hurt a bit. I am not at all afraid of needles nor do I cringe at the sight of one but the last one did pinch bad.

Since then there's been a slight pain on my left arm. Specially at the gym while doing shoulder exercises this seems to pinch a little with movement but fades away post exercise.

A little background, I'm 27, and I have been smoking since 2006 and hence kind of freaked out. However, I am physically active and have been since 2008. I'm slightly worried. Is this by any chance related to pending heart disease?
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations arjyamaj Shifting gears 241 17th October 2017 18:24
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 24th October 2015 12:47
Why do doctors make us wait for Hours? Daewood Shifting gears 22 23rd September 2011 21:36
Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice... gbpscars Shifting gears 16 29th July 2009 16:38
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help MillionSwords Shifting gears 13 18th March 2009 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks