Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2016, 18:36   #2416
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
That was quick, I just hope it lives up to your expectations. I have been using mine for only a week now.

If the toothbrush works for 6 months, I will think of it as money well spent. I doubt the battery will last that long as it seems to be a generic Chinese one. That said, I am already impressed by the quality of the brushing. My mouth feels a lot cleaner than an ordinary toothbrush and I used to brush thrice a day. I am not entirely sure, but it seems to work at 30,000 vibrations per minute which is the same as Philips Sonicare and more than the Panasonic.

Didn't know the CEO was of Indian origin. Interesting.
how is your brush doing? my brush stopped working within a week, since had bought from the amazon India site, I requested for return, and they happily arranged a pickup and refunded the full amount without a blink

now, with some usage and experience of Sonic Brush, I certainly felt more confident and decided to go for the real peice

I ordered 2 units of Philips Sonicare 2 costing me USD 90/ for a set of 2 with case and an additional head each

I haven't used it as yet, will share my review soon

Last edited by Anupam : 10th May 2016 at 18:39. Reason: punctuation
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 23:29   #2417
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
how is your brush doing? my brush stopped working within a week, since had bought from the amazon India site, I requested for return, and they happily arranged a pickup and refunded the full amount without a blink
Mine are still going strong, though one may need a battery replacement. I bought 3 for my family.

Am not completely surprised that yours stopped working within a week. The quality of this toothbrush is not the greatest, but it costs less than most replacement brush-heads, so not much to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
now, with some usage and experience of Sonic Brush, I certainly felt more confident and decided to go for the real peice
Me too. I am comfortable with the technique and the hygiene of the sonic brush and can't imagine going any other way now. I too am planning to upgrade but since I have the luxury of time, I am taking it a bit easy.

Somehow I am not convinced of the rotary action toothbrushes from Oral-B (Braun) since I already have some abfraction. Studies on the web including comparisons on the NIH website don't give much confidence as these studies are sponsored by Oral-B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
I ordered 2 units of Philips Sonicare 2 costing me USD 90/ for a set of 2 with case and an additional head each
I would be very interested to know how Sonicare compares to Brushbuddies just so I know if I am missing out on anything. Are your getting it directly from Amazon US or via an intermediary? If the shipping costs are reasonable, I too wouldn't mind buying.

One thing I may invest in is a UV brush holder. I read somewhere that the brush-heads last for much longer, but manufacturers recommend they be replaced every month as they are a cesspool for germs. UV sanitizers claim to remove 99.9% of germs.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 07:08   #2418
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Somehow I am not convinced of the rotary action toothbrushes from Oral-B (Braun) since I already have some abfraction. Studies on the web including comparisons on the NIH website don't give much confidence as these studies are sponsored by Oral-B.



I would be very interested to know how Sonicare compares to Brushbuddies just so I know if I am missing out on anything. Are your getting it directly from Amazon US or via an intermediary? If the shipping costs are reasonable, I too wouldn't mind buying.



One thing I may invest in is a UV brush holder. I read somewhere that the brush-heads last for much longer, but manufacturers recommend they be replaced every month as they are a cesspool for germs. UV sanitizers claim to remove 99.9% of germs.

As I understand, Philips is the best but Oralb is not bad either, I just met a friend yesterday, it seems his father had bought a OralB power brush 16 years back and is still going strong

Sonicare cannot be compared with Brushbuddies, the difference is of riding a Luna moped and a Hayabusa

I used it yesterday evening for the first time and I was finding myself a little clumsy, I guess it will take a week or so to harness Sonicare

As for ordering it, I was in a bit of luck that I found a colleague who was due to travel on Saturday and I asked Amazon to deliver to his hotel through express shipment

If all goes well then I will order more for family and for that I will have to check for more options, you can order directly also with shipment to India but may have to pay around 15$ extra for shipment, which is not very bad compared to Prices in India

As for UV, I agree with you, but I haven't focussed there as yet, will wait for you to do your research and update 😀


Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 08:18   #2419
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

My wife and I have been using brushbuddies ever since I saw these posts. We like it a lot compared to the Oral-B that is available in the 'health and glow' outlets.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 11:25   #2420
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
As I understand, Philips is the best but Oralb is not bad either, I just met a friend yesterday, it seems his father had bought a OralB power brush 16 years back and is still going strong
16 years is not bad at all, but my concern is what the rotary brushing action would do to teeth that are already abraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Sonicare cannot be compared with Brushbuddies, the difference is of riding a Luna moped and a Hayabusa
Quality of the two cannot be compared. But do I understand correctly that Sonicare works at a higher speed and hence cleans more thoroughly? Also do you feel the vibrations in your hand as you are brushing?

Any idea how long the brush-heads last and what you would do after that (I mean, are the replacement brush-heads for this model available in India)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
My wife and I have been using brushbuddies ever since I saw these posts. We like it a lot compared to the Oral-B that is available in the 'health and glow' outlets.
Welcome to the club of two on Team-BHP, I guess!
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 12:15   #2421
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
My wife and I have been using brushbuddies ever since I saw these posts. We like it a lot compared to the Oral-B that is available in the 'health and glow' outlets.
welcome to the jorney, share your review..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
16 years is not bad at all, but my concern is what the rotary brushing action would do to teeth that are already abraded
seems, he receives compliments from his dentist as well on his dental health, and 16 years in no less a time, so I guess OralB is doing the job well too


Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Quality of the two cannot be compared. But do I understand correctly that Sonicare works at a higher speed and hence cleans more thoroughly? Also do you feel the vibrations in your hand as you are brushing?
yes, Sonicare works at a much higher speed, I can feel the vibration in hand and in mouth as well, but its pretty much within acceptable limit, I suppose I will get used to it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Any idea how long the brush-heads last and what you would do after that (I mean, are the replacement brush-heads for this model available in India)?
Philips says 1 brush head life is 3 months, and then change the head, as of now I have an additional head in this kit that ordered, so for the next 6 months I am covered, by then I will get more from the US, I have seen a non-OE but a well-to-do brand selling on Amazon US, a pack of 24 for 25 USD, which is quite neat
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 21:06   #2422
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,728
Thanked: 6,934 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Philips says 1 brush head life is 3 months, and then change the head ...
That's probably the minimum recommendation they reckon they can get away with! They want you throwing away heads and buying new ones.

How long a head lasts depends a lot on how you use it. People will press far too hard when they first use an electric toothbrush. It only needs a light touch. Like a saw: let the tool do the work.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 22:20   #2423
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Here goes a quick review:

I like how the brush does a gentle but clean job on the teeth. My teeth feels "brand new" after a brush when felt with the tongue. I had never got such a feeling with any of the brushes before - maybe my technique was or wrong or the brushes were inadequate. But this one made it simple.

It's a very simple, bare-bones brush. Has much fewer creases and nooks where things could hide and build up compared to my Oral-B. The branding print on the brush went away on day 1 itself and nobody will be able to read off the brand if they aren't familiar with it.

All in all, for its price, I'm very happy.

Offtopic question to the dentists in the forum: are toothpastes really necessary? There're some discussions in another forum about this where the person is quite happy without a toothpaste.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 13:25   #2424
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 841 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

What is the best substitute to Aleve (OTC drug in US). I googled and it mainly contains Naproxen 200mg and Sodium 20mg. Should I simply ask for Naproxen based drugs from my local chemist or is there a replica of Aleve available in India under another name?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 20:58   #2425
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 678
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What is the best substitute to Aleve (OTC drug in US). I googled and it mainly contains Naproxen 200mg and Sodium 20mg. Should I simply ask for Naproxen based drugs from my local chemist or is there a replica of Aleve available in India under another name?
Naprosyn is a widely available alternative. However Aleve contains 200mg Naproxen whereas Naprosyn contains 250mg which is a bit higher. From what I can see is Naproxen 200 mg is not available in India.
archat68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 21:04   #2426
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 841 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Naprosyn is a widely available alternative. However Aleve contains 200mg Naproxen whereas Naprosyn contains 250mg which is a bit higher. From what I can see is Naproxen 200 mg is not available in India.
I bought Naprosyn about an hour back, visited a lot of chemists but none had any other alternative except Naprosyn, that too 250mg only.

I have persistent low back ache due to squatting heavy weights so I'll give this a try, hopefully 30 more mg of naproxen doesn't do much damage.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 20:14   #2427
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,594
Thanked: 10,643 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
...I am not convinced of the rotary action toothbrushes from Oral-B (Braun) since I already have some abfraction.
Toothbrushes and abfraction have no connection. Who told you that you have abfraction because of a battery-powered toothbrush?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 21:07   #2428
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Toothbrushes and abfraction have no connection. Who told you that you have abfraction because of a battery-powered toothbrush?
Not sure what I have, abfraction, abrasion, etc., but it is abraded and some quack dentist made it cavernous and filled it with cement as another dentist said he should have left it alone.

Where did I say that abfraction was caused by a battery powered toothbrush?
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 22:27   #2429
BHPian
 
drhoneycake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 263
Thanked: 479 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Not sure what I have, abfraction, abrasion, etc., but it is abraded and some quack dentist made it cavernous and filled it with cement as another dentist said he should have left it alone.



Where did I say that abfraction was caused by a battery powered toothbrush?

Basically, Abfraction is loss of tooth substance caused by loading forces that result in flexure and failure of enamel and dentin. This usually happens with clenching or grinding of teeth. This is due to heavy stress concentration at the cervical areas of the teeth. These are usually wedge shaped and can go below the gum line as well.

Abrasion is loss of tooth substance that is caused by aggressive brushing/by using a hard bristle brush, not necessarily by an electronic toothbrush. These are saucer shaped and usually don't go below the gum line since your brush doesn't go there.

Both are non-carious lesions.

In both cases, these can be filled with shade matched composite resins (flowable type) since leaving them exposed for a significant time can cause serious sensitivity.

But when it comes to Abfraction, the primary cause needs to be ascertained before closing the lesions with fillings. This could be in the form of Occlusal adjustment, a night guard or by use of something called a BruxCare.






Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 23:08   #2430
BHPian
 
Geo_Ipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vellore
Posts: 390
Thanked: 348 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I bought Naprosyn about an hour back, visited a lot of chemists but none had any other alternative except Naprosyn, that too 250mg only.

I have persistent low back ache due to squatting heavy weights so I'll give this a try, hopefully 30 more mg of naproxen doesn't do much damage.
One can take Naproxen 250 mg safely.

Although I don't quite agree with your logic of taking pain killers and continuing with your 'squatting heavy weights'. Rest alone should be adequate. If you still feel discomfort, you should reduce the weights or frequency of your work outs. If your pain persists, you might wanna meet your doctor once.
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations arjyamaj Shifting gears 241 17th October 2017 18:24
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 24th October 2015 12:47
Why do doctors make us wait for Hours? Daewood Shifting gears 22 23rd September 2011 21:36
Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice... gbpscars Shifting gears 16 29th July 2009 16:38
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help MillionSwords Shifting gears 13 18th March 2009 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks