Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 15:27   #2446
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
it seemed he knew exactly what he was doing. ... .... ...
That's the problem: a lot of people seem to know what they are doing.

Disclosure: Herbs, homeopathy, healing... been there done that: I am not at all closed to such ideas...

But one's BS-detectors need to be very acute. There is a lot of it about. And the price is going up. My wife has been been exploring various alternative health options, and the costs can be as much as consulting a senior consultant in a posh private hospital. I don't object to people making a living, but I do wonder at this. And the cost of medicines/supplements/remedies? Homeopathy for hundreds of Rs? really? Cost price... sugar?

Anyway, all that is only vaguely connected with chiropractic (but why let that spoil a good rant ). It's been around a long time, but then, so have a lot of things (including me) and that doesn't necessarily make them good and effective. Consensus of what I have heard over the years is can provide temporary relief. My purely personal point of view is that I would (and do, when necessary) stick with osteo docs and physiotherapy.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 23:22   #2447
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
If all goes well then I will order more for family
With positive outcome of electric brush, I bought an Oralb battery operated electric brush for my daughter from a local medical store which also gIves good result, also seems Oralb in india had been restocked and while it is available i went ahead and ordered 3 more on amazon with some additional brush heads

Now my entire family has switched to electric brush

Long ownership review will follow in few months but for now things are good 👍
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 01:46   #2448
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 69
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm suffering from pain which started in the lower back (due to heavy squatting as well as bad form when I was putting the loaded barbell back on the squat rack) and has now shifted to glutes.
I'm in the same boat as you. Damn the bad form. It was severe at first. I have stopped working out since a month. Things are better now. I'm not doing stuff which directly impacts lower back. Still some way to go until it completely recovers. Still an irritant. Please let me know if you find out anything about the practitioners in Delhi.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 03:17   #2449
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
... Long ownership review will follow in few months but for now things are good 👍
Small but Significant thing...

It turns itself off if it is still running when put back on the charger.

--- but true!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 06:17   #2450
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Small but Significant thing...

It turns itself off if it is still running when put back on the charger.

--- but true!
Which make / model are you using
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 22:20   #2451
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Which make / model are you using
It just says "Professional Care" on it. I bought it as a compatible handset replacement for a Braun device which had a aerated-water-spray thingy too, but that got taken out by a power surge and now I use it stand-alone with its supplied charger. Or them: it came as buy-a-pair offer. I swap them into use every 6 months or so, and the rechargeable batteries seem to survive I can't remember how many years it's been.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 23:10   #2452
BANNED
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 429
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Need help from fellow bhpians !
My mother has got a repetitive allergy in her eyes might be due to dust & sunlight, doctor says this allergy can occurs in any person & it can come again after a few months & she actually gets it again & again, now her vision has become blurred, moreover when one looks into her eyes there's cloudiness, but it's not cataract. she also feels slight irritation in her eyes like there's dust but actually there's not, like to know what's the problem & any eye specialist we can visit in ncr ?

Any help would be really appreciated.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:40   #2453
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 639
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Need help from fellow bhpians !
My mother has got a repetitive allergy in her eyes might be due to dust & sunlight, doctor says this allergy can occurs in any person & it can come again after a few months & she actually gets it again & again, now her vision has become blurred, moreover when one looks into her eyes there's cloudiness, but it's not cataract. she also feels slight irritation in her eyes like there's dust but actually there's not, like to know what's the problem & any eye specialist we can visit in ncr ?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Could it be that she is suffering from dry eyes ? I have been experiencing similar problems since last year. Eyes feel itchy as though there is dust and strained vision, no cloudynees though. Eye doc recommended Omega 3 twice daily for 3 months and regular usage of lubricating eye drops. It has certainly helped. Why not take a second opinion
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 23:06   #2454
BHPian
 
biggrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Haryana
Posts: 152
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Need help from fellow bhpians !

.... irritation in her eyes like there's dust but actually there's not, like to know what's the problem & any eye specialist we can visit in ncr ?

Any help would be really appreciated.
In Faridabad, there is one famous eye specialist Dr. Bharti Gupta in Sector 14 (1368B, Sec 14, Fbd.). The clinic is located on the Sector 14-15 dividing road. My neighbour got a surgery done from there recently. Ping me if you want any other details, I will ask from my neighbour and will let you know tommorow.
biggrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:56   #2455
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,885
Thanked: 2,045 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Guys, Is this early signs of baldness often known as Male Pattern Baldness? Or my forehead is broad and is it normal. Please see the pics.

​Is this much normal or I am just getting too conscious?

If it is early signs then please let me know how to prevent, how to treat/recover this condition.

For past one month i was using hard hair gel brylcream. Now stopped it.

I am 25!

Name:  DSC_0684.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  mainqimg47dc44ba605e53da9dd00aeab77ed20a.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  mainqimg220df7e188416562f83ab044314d1fbd.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  mainqimg968b00f8fff9bed0515c82aeb6b6429bc.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  mainqimgd7a6901fc77c21b51c6b639618ab8947.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  41.3 KB
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 21:58   #2456
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Hi docs

I'm being suggested a RCT for a lower molar which already has a crown but no RCT. The dentist is quoting 3500 rupees for the RCT, 2000 rupees for filling and 7000 for a new zirconium crown.

I feel these prices are on the higher side, even for Mumbai where I am located. Upon googling for the standard rates, I can't see anybody mentioning extra filling charges, plus other rates are also lower. Any tips? (BTW dentist is highly rated on Practo in my area)
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 22:54   #2457
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys, Is this early signs of baldness often known as Male Pattern Baldness?......
Difficult to say due to your front-to-back combing style. Your best bet is to compare your current hairline with older pictures, if you have any.

Male Pattern Baldness (MPB) is most prominent at two spots, one's temples and the crown of one's skull. Check both.

MPB is usually genetic (though external factors also exist) and even though you'll find medical advice saying it's curable, it usually isn't, mostly because the effects stop within a few weeks/months of stopping treatment.

I'm genetically inclined to MPB myself (crown area), and tried topical treatment with Minoxidil and oral Finasteride for a while until I realized I'm unwilling to continue treatment lifelong with medicines that may have substantial long-term side effects, for what's ultimately a matter of aesthetics.

You may or may not have MPB, best to see a specialist for that, but do go for any treatments with your eyes open. You can only put off genetic factors, not eliminate them.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th June 2016 at 22:57.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 23:10   #2458
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 518
Thanked: 97 Times
Question Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Hi docs

I'm being suggested a RCT for a lower molar which already has a crown but no RCT. The dentist is quoting 3500 rupees for the RCT, 2000 rupees for filling and 7000 for a new zirconium crown.

I feel these prices are on the higher side, even for Mumbai where I am located. Upon googling for the standard rates, I can't see anybody mentioning extra filling charges, plus other rates are also lower. Any tips? (BTW dentist is highly rated on Practo in my area)
The rates are on the higher side. Where are you located in Mumbai? If around western suburbs i can suggest a dentist.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 23:31   #2459
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,885
Thanked: 2,045 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Difficult to say due to your front-to-back combing style. Your best bet is to compare your current hairline with older pictures, if you have any.

Male Pattern Baldness (MPB) is most prominent at two spots, one's temples and the crown of one's skull. Check both.

MPB is usually genetic (though external factors also exist) and even though you'll find medical advice saying it's curable, it usually isn't, mostly because the effects stop within a few weeks/months of stopping treatment.

I'm genetically inclined to MPB myself (crown area), and tried topical treatment with Minoxidil and oral Finasteride for a while until I realized I'm unwilling to continue treatment lifelong with medicines that may have substantial long-term side effects, for what's ultimately a matter of aesthetics.

You may or may not have MPB, best to see a specialist for that, but do go for any treatments with your eyes open. You can only put off genetic factors, not eliminate them.
I actually got conscious about it because I started combing front to back hair only very recently. Till few months back I used to comb from typical left to right. In my family no one has baldness problem (not even in my long distant relatives). Though with entering into corporate IT world since past 1.5 years have resulted in bit of stress. Moving out of comfort zone actually

I checked crown area and it seems to be okay.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 23:56   #2460
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I actually got conscious about it because I started combing front to back hair only very recently. Till few months back I used to comb from typical left to right. In my family no one has baldness problem (not even in my long distant relatives). Though with entering into corporate IT world since past 1.5 years have resulted in bit of stress. Moving out of comfort zone actually

I checked crown area and it seems to be okay.


Keep an eye on your hairline, and consult a specialist if you notice it visibly receding in the next few years.

Like I said before, it's usually only a manageable condition, not reversible, so no point losing sleep over it even IF you get it, which you probably may not. Difficult to tell until it really happens, if at all. Chill. Stress is actually a trigger for MPB.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th June 2016 at 23:59.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations arjyamaj Shifting gears 231 18th August 2017 14:27
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 24th October 2015 12:47
Why do doctors make us wait for Hours? Daewood Shifting gears 22 23rd September 2011 21:36
Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice... gbpscars Shifting gears 16 29th July 2009 16:38
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help MillionSwords Shifting gears 13 18th March 2009 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks