Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 16:10   #511
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Unhappy Tennis Elbow??

Hi, I regularly play badminton every evening. Off late, I have been experiencing a lot of pain on my right elbow (my playing hand). One of my uncles(doctor) advised me to wear a 'Tennins elbow band' such as the one shown in the pic below (pic from google)
Name:  tennis_elbow_elstc.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  49.1 KB

I duly purchased one of these and after I started wearing this the pain started to reduce and I could play normally. But, again after around 15 days (after I started wearing the band), the pain started and is recurring whenever I play.

Is there anything else I should have been doing? I have not been taking any medicine for this. Please suggest something.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 16:28   #512
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,584
Thanked: 10,611 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Hi,
I have 12 months old boy, His teeth has not yet come,

...doctor...suggested to use magnet around his neck...injection for teeth to grow....relying on calciun syrup. Can anyone give me some guidance on this.
WHAAAT?!!?

You've been visiting a quack, have you?

Please see a qualified dental surgeon, or preferably a paedodontist, for the teeth not erupting. He would check with an x-ray if the teeth have formed properly inside the jaws, and will also be able to tell you if there are any other factors causing the delay in eruption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster
I am a MAXILLOFACIAL SURGEON
Welcome to the thread, Visaster. Your opinion on udaydesai's post please!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 19:10   #513
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,698
Thanked: 6,873 Times
Default

Visaster, please join the growing number of us here who go on and on and on about wearing seatbelts at any driving speed and for all the passengers in the car.

You probably have the most pertinent experience of any member here to illustrate their importance.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 21:44   #514
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jam-luru
Posts: 257
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

My wife has bee diagnosed with a bulging disc causing her pain in the lower back and leg.
Some nerve soothing and pain killers along with some exercises have been prescribed.

What are her chances of recovering to lead a normal life ? What else she needs to do ?
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 23:15   #515
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,584
Thanked: 10,611 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
...bulging disc causing her pain in the lower back and leg.
Some nerve soothing and pain killers along with some exercises have been prescribed.

What are her chances of recovering to lead a normal life ? What else she needs to do ?
100%. She's got to do the exercises religiously every day, and avoid certain postures and lifting heavy things.

Been through it myself, so this is first-hand advice, not as a doctor!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 10:20   #516
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 285
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
WHAAAT?!!?

You've been visiting a quack, have you?

Please see a qualified dental surgeon, or preferably a paedodontist, for the teeth not erupting. He would check with an x-ray if the teeth have formed properly inside the jaws, and will also be able to tell you if there are any other factors causing the delay in eruption.

Welcome to the thread, Visaster. Your opinion on udaydesai's post please!
@ss traveller
thankyou for your suggestion. What the doctor suggested was not followed be me. anyway I am going to wait for few months and let the teeth grow on its self.
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 21:55   #517
vsh
BHPian
 
vsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sirsi
Posts: 102
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

hi friends,
i am really in need of some serious advice.

unfortunately my dad had a paralytic stroke 15days back while he was visiting his relative's house in a village. he had the stroke at morning and they came to our town at sirsi around evening. i immediately hospitalised him. his left leg was not working at all. doctor said he had a stroke and has high blood pressure. doctor treated him for BP and from 2nd dayfather's left hand was also not active. my friends and relatives suggested me to take my father to some special doctors(other than "english doctors") such as in HALAGA near karwar, kiravatti near yellapur and a doctor in siddapur. i took him to kiravatti and siddapur where they gave injections but it did not help. now i took him to BELAMBAR for the famour "nati oushada". now it seems his brain has been also affected by the stroke and behaves childishly, or to say not normal.
now it has been 15days from the attack and still his coniditon is not improving that much. its somewhat better after this belambar medicie which is currently being done.
so pls suggest me what course of action shall i take. please..
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 16:27   #518
BHPian
 
drdeepudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 229
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
hi friends,
i am really in need of some serious advice.

unfortunately my dad had a paralytic stroke 15days back while he was visiting his relative's house in a village. he had the stroke at morning and they came to our town at sirsi around evening. i immediately hospitalised him. his left leg was not working at all. doctor said he had a stroke and has high blood pressure. doctor treated him for BP and from 2nd dayfather's left hand was also not active. my friends and relatives suggested me to take my father to some special doctors(other than "english doctors") such as in HALAGA near karwar, kiravatti near yellapur and a doctor in siddapur. i took him to kiravatti and siddapur where they gave injections but it did not help. now i took him to BELAMBAR for the famour "nati oushada". now it seems his brain has been also affected by the stroke and behaves childishly, or to say not normal.
now it has been 15days from the attack and still his coniditon is not improving that much. its somewhat better after this belambar medicie which is currently being done.
so pls suggest me what course of action shall i take. please..
Sad to know that vsh. Did you do any MRI or CT scan of the brain for assessing injuries to the brain tissues? Diagnosis is very important. I would suggest you to consult with a competent physician in your area. Usually stroke or CVA (cerebro vascular accident) patients recover, but with proper medication and time. During the recovery period, they need physical rehabilitation (by a physiotherapist) for faster recovery. Time is a big factor in these cases. Never loose your faith.
drdeepudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 17:59   #519
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 370
Thanked: 48 Times
Default hard to treat cavity between 2 molars

I did not have any teeth problems till around 7-8 years back(I was 28 then). Then I went to a dentist along with my mother and casually asked for a dental examination. She discovered 4-5 small cavities. They were duly filled up and, as advised, scaling was done.

Now all other fillings are doing fine but one between 2nd and 3rd right lower molar has failed 3-4 times. This time it has lasted for around 6 month or so.Meanwhile, I went to another dentist(working in an institution) he advised X ray and said root canal treatment would have to be done for both teeth. Event though I could see from the x-ray that there does not seem to be any infection. When I countered him by telling that there is no pain and x-ray seems clear, he said even If I do filling it won't stick.

I decided to chuck him and went to the earlier doctor. He agreed with my assessment and I got filling done again. He says if it comes off he will incise one tooth and then the filling should stick.

What is the best course of action for long term solution for such difficult cavities between two teeth? I absolutely want to avoid root canal unless it is the only resort.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 22:58   #520
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Need some advice on heading aid

Looking for hearing aid for a relative. And thoroughly confused by choices. Visited a doctor and got her audiogram done. It confirmed the need to hearing aid. Prices for BTE Open Fit aid in Mumbai is around 50k per ear.

Is it safe to bring hearing aid from US (from a reputable company) to India. Does it generally get configured / serviced easily? There is a significant cost difference (30%).
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 00:34   #521
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,698
Thanked: 6,873 Times
Default

Quote:
Prices for BTE Open Fit aid in Mumbai is around 50k per ear.
That is shocking! They are very expensive in UK, I never thought they would be this much here.

Looks like I'm going to spend even longer getting around to getting one. Very bad news for people who really need it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 05:08   #522
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

You don't really need a 50k hearing aid.

Digital BTE aids start from 15k. Normal BTE with same quality costs 24k, but it would be visible. These "Open Fit" ones have a very thin glass tube (or something similar) that places speaker in ear canal (actual device is BTE - Behind The Ear and is tiny).

This aid is "almost" invisible. This cost is for cosmetics and comfort.

And these costs are from a big Hospital. I am sure local chemist would know about sources to get the same thing at better prices.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 11:36   #523
BHPian
 
Visaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 575
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
@ss traveller
thankyou for your suggestion. What the doctor suggested was not followed be me. anyway I am going to wait for few months and let the teeth grow on its self.
Udaydesai, I would advice you to take a full mouth xray (OPG xray) and get it assessed by a pedodontist cause its abnormal that no teeth has erupted still. There are no drugs or injections for the teeth to come out fast, you just have to wait, no doubt. But its better to know whats happening inside, and put a rest to your agony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Visaster, please join the growing number of us here who go on and on and on about wearing seatbelts at any driving speed and for all the passengers in the car.
You probably have the most pertinent experience of any member here to illustrate their importance.
There are no second questions about it. You gotta wear a seat belt all the time, considering the road conditions and the crazy way people drive in India. Its not only for the driver, its a must for every single passenger. From day one kids have to be taught to wear seat belts as soon as they get inside the car, it will have a ever lasting effect.

The truth is seat belts will save you only from a small bump but not from a serious accident. So driving smoothly and safely is a prime responsibilty of the driver for the trust people putting into you when they get inside your car.

Drive safely. peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
My wife has bee diagnosed with a bulging disc causing her pain in the lower back and leg.
Some nerve soothing and pain killers along with some exercises have been prescribed.

What are her chances of recovering to lead a normal life ? What else she needs to do ?
It sounds like a minor disc prolapse, otherwise the doctor you visited would have asked you to go in for a surgery. To start with i would tell you don't worry, there are treatment options available to get her fit and fine like before.
Take your MRI to an orthopedic or spine surgeon and get it assessed.
Treatment course as and when required

STEP 1 : Exercise and medicines
STEP 2: Steroid injections
STEP 3: Micro discetomy
STEP 4: With stabilization.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
I did not have any teeth problems till around 7-8 years back(I was 28 then). Then I went to a dentist along with my mother and casually asked for a dental examination. She discovered 4-5 small cavities. They were duly filled up and, as advised, scaling was done.

Now all other fillings are doing fine but one between 2nd and 3rd right lower molar has failed 3-4 times. This time it has lasted for around 6 month or so.Meanwhile, I went to another dentist(working in an institution) he advised X ray and said root canal treatment would have to be done for both teeth. Event though I could see from the x-ray that there does not seem to be any infection. When I countered him by telling that there is no pain and x-ray seems clear, he said even If I do filling it won't stick.

I decided to chuck him and went to the earlier doctor. He agreed with my assessment and I got filling done again. He says if it comes off he will incise one tooth and then the filling should stick.

What is the best course of action for long term solution for such difficult cavities between two teeth? I absolutely want to avoid root canal unless it is the only resort.

I would say the doctor who adviced you for a root canal treatment was right. With multiple failed restoration its obvious that the cavity is big for any regular filling to hold on. Root canal will be the best option to save all the future trouble of running to a dentist every second day. It will be a permanent solution.

Get the wisdom tooth removed
followed by R.C.T. and full ceramic crown for your tooth ( can try inlay also )

If this latest restoration stays, you are lucky. Keep it going till it lasts.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 07:28   #524
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Okay, I have a rather simple problem.

A very scratchy throat coupled with a slightly blocked nasal passage. Wouldn't have time to visit a doc, so that is why I come to thee.

The irritation feels like it is somewhere around the tonsils. The throat is so scratchy it is making me feel pukish.

Anything to soothe it?

Thanks!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 07:57   #525
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,594
Thanked: 6,370 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Okay, I have a rather simple problem.

A very scratchy throat coupled with a slightly blocked nasal passage. Wouldn't have time to visit a doc, so that is why I come to thee.

The irritation feels like it is somewhere around the tonsils. The throat is so scratchy it is making me feel pukish.

Anything to soothe it?

Thanks!
Gargle with warm salt water.

If the region around your nose feels kinda heavy also try getting a hot water in a pan, add either vicks(strong), pepper(mild), tea powder(mildest) and cover yourself with a blanket. Inhale the vapors. You will sweat and that will provide relief.

Did you ride your bike in heavy traffic without a face shield?
Asking because doing that triggers a similar reacting in me. So I actually wear something that covers my nose and mouth.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a doctor.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations arjyamaj Shifting gears 239 16th September 2017 14:08
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 24th October 2015 12:47
Why do doctors make us wait for Hours? Daewood Shifting gears 22 23rd September 2011 21:36
Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice... gbpscars Shifting gears 16 29th July 2009 16:38
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help MillionSwords Shifting gears 13 18th March 2009 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks