Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 23:33   #811
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 590
Thanked: 648 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Please check Tejas's note here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2362503

There is a separate thread for alternate medicine - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ptions-13.html (Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options)

The current thread is only for conventional medicine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why don't you carry out this discussion here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...options-6.html (Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options)

...and leave this thread for allopathy only.
May be you guys should request the MODS to change the title of this thread accordingly!

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 12:20   #812
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 745
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@slicvic,

But for higher diopters, how will it affect the eye ? Curious.
With higher diopters, the lens becomes thicker and a prismatic effect is introduced away from the center. So as long as the centers are aligned with the pupils the effect will be minimal.

Don't worry bout the PD for your power. I hadn't specified my PD while ordering my spectacles too
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 12:29   #813
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,399
Thanked: 3,790 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

@Slicvic, let me re-state my question:
If PD of glasses does not match PD of one's eyes, What exactly is the effect on the eyes ? Is this effect just only as long as one is wearing the glasses (eg: discomfort), or is it more permanent (like squinting) ? What is the medical/physiological effect on the eye ?

Note:
Pls do not connect this question to my other question earlier about the discomfort with my second pair.

I guess PD today is measured by the machine that is used to check the eyes (when we go for an eye exam) ? Something like an in-built function ?
(But yes, I have not seen the prescription slips showing PD readings)
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 14:01   #814
BHPian
 
noidea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 143
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Hello all,

Have a question regarding medicines. Tell me what happens if I am supposed to take a medicine thrice a day i.e BLD and miss it for lunch? Am I suppose to take a double dose at dinner or just miss that dose and carry on taking the precribed dose for dinner?

The medicine in question here is Augmentin and another one Topdase or something. I am supposed to be taking Augmentin for 14 days for BLD after an operation and I missed a dose.

Regards

In respect to Augmentin you should take double dose at dinner in the given scenario.

In respect to dosing
twice daily is -- BID
Thrice daily is -- TDS

Cheers
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 15:11   #815
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post
Hi,
I have these pain in my stomach for over a month now, it started with the pain in right upper stomach and went on to pain in other parts of my stomach and also it pain in my lower chest area quite a few times. Sometimes because of it, i have light headedness (Like slight drowsiness). I have seen a doctor for it, and he prescribed to me non acidity and vitamin capsule for stomach, had these for almost 15 days now, it had reduced the occurence of pain but didn't completely cure it. I have stopped the medicine since saturday, i think it has not helped much. I have recently read on internet that it maybe gastritis, but i am not sure. Any help will be appreciated, by the way i am 23. Do i need to say i am male(being on car enthusiast site)lolzz.
Hi,
I changed the doctor and went to another one supposedly a better one, he diagnosed it and said it is IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome), he gave me some medicines and told me it had to be taken for 3 months, i had it for almost 15 days, initially it helped me let go off pain, maybe because he has given anti spasm medicine, but after a period of 12 days it made my stomach totally upset, i had severe constipation and gastric problem, i went to him again and he increased my medicine from 3 to 5, and gave me medicine to loosen my stool. From that day onwards i had stopped on the medicine and i am taking some home made medicines and controlling my diet. I would like some guidance from the doctors here??
samy3660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 19:08   #816
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 745
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Slicvic, let me re-state my question:
If PD of glasses does not match PD of one's eyes, What exactly is the effect on the eyes ? Is this effect just only as long as one is wearing the glasses (eg: discomfort), or is it more permanent (like squinting) ? What is the medical/physiological effect on the eye ?
To the best of my knowledge, there won't be any permanent or other effects on the eye
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 22:22   #817
BHPian
 
noidea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 143
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post
Hi,
I changed the doctor and went to another one supposedly a better one, he diagnosed it and said it is IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome), he gave me some medicines and told me it had to be taken for 3 months, i had it for almost 15 days, initially it helped me let go off pain, maybe because he has given anti spasm medicine, but after a period of 12 days it made my stomach totally upset, i had severe constipation and gastric problem, i went to him again and he increased my medicine from 3 to 5, and gave me medicine to loosen my stool. From that day onwards i had stopped on the medicine and i am taking some home made medicines and controlling my diet. I would like some guidance from the doctors here??
I think you should go for some investigations now. Off-hand I would suggest a USG of the abdomen and a upper GI endoscopy.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 07:14   #818
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 208 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Docs,

A friend of mine is planning for a baby. He was wondering if there is any multivitamin he should take (like something high in zinc, as he told).

Mods, please remove this post if not appropriate for this forum.

Thanks in advance.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 12:03   #819
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post


My question is - Could this medicine somehow help my ear? Should I be taking it? Thanks.
Both Xylometazoline and Oxymetazoline causes rebound congestion, so use this medication with caution.However, these medications are contraindicated if one is Hypertensive.Since both these medications are available OTC,they are royally abused by patients.

Azelastine nasal spray is indicated for the local treatment of the symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis and perennial allergic rhinitis, such as rhinorrhea, sneezing and nasal pruritis.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Docs,

A friend of mine is planning for a baby. He was wondering if there is any multivitamin he should take (like something high in zinc, as he told).
If your friend is a female, ask her to start with Folic acid which is also known as pre-pregnancy vitamin.

The doctors recommend that the women consume folic acid 3 months prior to pregnancy and continue until the second trimester.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 18:31   #820
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 208 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post



If your friend is a female, ask her to start with Folic acid which is also known as pre-pregnancy vitamin.

The doctors recommend that the women consume folic acid 3 months prior to pregnancy and continue until the second trimester.
Thanks for the reply, but my friend is a male. He was advised by somebody to have some multivitamin rich in certain elements like zinc etc. So he was wondering if he should take any multivitamin from any brand.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 09:56   #821
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thanks for the reply, but my friend is a male. He was advised by somebody to have some multivitamin rich in certain elements like zinc etc. So he was wondering if he should take any multivitamin from any brand.
Generally males do not require any extra medication (prophylactic and therapeutic) before embracing fatherhood unless someone has low sperm count (Oligozoospermia).

Ask your friend to take any brand which has Zinc, Selenium & vitamin C. (Becozinc cap for example)
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 14:48   #822
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 208 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Thank you. Appreciate your help.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 08:34   #823
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 52 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Guys, a very close family relative is admitted to fortis for heart stent insertion (that's long story short). The hospital has started spinning new stories about the patients condition after the stent. Whatever they are saying, we have to believe and go ahead with next steps
Its like 7 days now after the stent and we want a 2nd opinion from another cardiac hospital - maybe shift him to the new hospital as well.

B]Does anyone has some high-level contacts in any known heart hospital in Bangalore.[/b]

1. When shifting to another hospital - what do i require from fortis?
2. Hospital B, do they take care of shifting from fortis (A) in an ambulance equipped with required equipment?
3. What are the pros and cons of shifting to another hospital?

Looks like fortis has tied our hands (like fasa diya) and..............cant really express the feelings here. Really need some good advice here.

Please PM me or share here as well.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 09:22   #824
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Guys, a very close family relative is admitted to fortis for heart stent insertion (that's long story short). The hospital has started spinning new stories about the patients condition after the stent. Whatever they are saying, we have to believe and go ahead with next steps
Its like 7 days now after the stent and we want a 2nd opinion from another cardiac hospital - maybe shift him to the new hospital as well.

B]Does anyone has some high-level contacts in any known heart hospital in Bangalore.[/b]

1. When shifting to another hospital - what do i require from fortis?
2. Hospital B, do they take care of shifting from fortis (A) in an ambulance equipped with required equipment?
3. What are the pros and cons of shifting to another hospital?

Looks like fortis has tied our hands (like fasa diya) and..............cant really express the feelings here. Really need some good advice here.

Please PM me or share here as well.
Not a doctor, but I had the intention of shifting my dad from one cardiac hospital to another few years back because I wasn't happy with the first one.

This is what I did. I first took all my father's reports to a Heart Specialist who came highly recommended(through my friend's father who was a retired doctor) & then he took over everything. Since he was a very senior doctor, he called up the other hospital (he was the teacher of the doctor in the first hospital) & talked it over. The first hospital agreed to shift my dad & they also said they would provide the cardiac equipped ambulance (but I guess in the absence of this, the 2nd hospital would have done what was required). Unfortunately, my father's condition was too bad to be shifted - he suffered another attack when they were planning to move him, so he continued at the first hospital. However, the trusted doctor took over all his treatment, though the junior doctors in the first hospital did all the day to day stuff under his instructions. But my doctor came once every day to check up on him & made all decisions right up to his discharge & continuing treatment.

The only fall side of this was that I was billed by both doctors for daily consulting charges. But compared to the hospital bill, the additional charges because of 2 doctors was not much - it added only about 10-15% to final bill. And also my insurance covered it, so it wasn't a problem - but I went ahead with this even without being sure whether the insurance would take care of 2 doctor's consulting charges.

So what I want to say is that forget about hospitals - find a heart specialist you trust & take it from there after talking to him.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 21:12   #825
BHPian
 
noidea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 143
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Guys, a very close family relative is admitted to fortis for heart stent insertion (that's long story short). The hospital has started spinning new stories about the patients condition after the stent. Whatever they are saying, we have to believe and go ahead with next steps
Its like 7 days now after the stent and we want a 2nd opinion from another cardiac hospital - maybe shift him to the new hospital as well.

B]Does anyone has some high-level contacts in any known heart hospital in Bangalore.[/b]

1. When shifting to another hospital - what do i require from fortis?
2. Hospital B, do they take care of shifting from fortis (A) in an ambulance equipped with required equipment?
3. What are the pros and cons of shifting to another hospital?

Looks like fortis has tied our hands (like fasa diya) and..............cant really express the feelings here. Really need some good advice here.

Please PM me or share here as well.
Before you shift you have to make sure that you have a place ready and reserved for him.
The best way to do that is to collect all the treatment cards and the reports from the hospital ( you are legally allowed to collect all the patients data) and go to another cardiologist for a 2nd opinion either in the same hospital or elsewhere. If you need you can also go for a 3rd advice.
Depending on their advice you could either transfer your patient under the new doctor's care in the same hospital or shift him to a new one.

Please also inform the present treating doctor that you wish to take a second opinion.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations arjyamaj Shifting gears 239 16th September 2017 14:08
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 24th October 2015 12:47
Why do doctors make us wait for Hours? Daewood Shifting gears 22 23rd September 2011 21:36
Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice... gbpscars Shifting gears 16 29th July 2009 16:38
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help MillionSwords Shifting gears 13 18th March 2009 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks