Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 16:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Arrow Calling doctors/dentists/specialists on Team-BHP to provide free consultations

Are there any medical professionals on this forum? If so please post. Atleast our members can get a free consultation here!

Strictly no soliciting clients though!!!

My scope of specialization:
General Dentistry
Gum Disease (periodontology/ periodontist): involves treating loose teeth, bleeding gums, bone grafting, gum grafting, etc.
Implantology: replace missing teeth
Sports Dentistry



@MODS: if you consider this a waste of server space or inappropriate please delete. I'm just trying to provide free community service and patient education here.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 16:15   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Ok tejas, here comes your fist opportunity at social service

How do smokers get rid of the 'tan' on their teeth and get them to be 'pearl white' again?

And yes, please don't say that the best way is to stop smoking

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 16:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ok tejas, here comes your fist opportunity at social service

How do smokers get rid of the 'tan' on their teeth and get them to be 'pearl white' again?

And yes, please don't say that the best way is to stop smoking

Cheers,
Ha ha ha... I'm a smoker as well so won't give you that advice!

You need to just go in for a scaling to your dentist every 3 months.

The fancy smokers toothpastes and the ones with granules cause more harm to teeth by wearing off the enamel and causing sensitivity of teeth in the future due to prolonged usage. So they are a strict no no.

Same goes for bleaching of teeth. unless your teeth are highly discoloured and you are in a PR business, avoid bleaching cause this causes severe dehydration of teeth, leads to sensitivity and will come back to near original shade in a year anyways.

So best in your case is to just get three monthly scalings. Should cost between Rs. 500-1500 depending on your dentist and will be done in a single 30 minute appointment.

EDIT: the hardness of your toothbrush will not increase the cleaning efficiency. Always use a soft brush. hard bristles cause a lot of problems of sensitivity, eroding the enamel and recession of gum line.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 11th December 2008 at 16:27.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 16:31   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
... You need to just go in for a scaling to your dentist every 3 months.

...and will be done in a single 30 minute appointment.
Good man. Haven't been to a dentist almost ever. (I don't know if other t-bhpians are like me or they visit the dentist regularly)

So this scaling is done on both the outside and inside of the teeth. right?
And this will make the teeth 'milky white' like those of Bollywood heroins

So this means that all those HLL/Colgate toothpaste which advertise about teeth whitening crystals/granules & shade cards and what not etc etc are all loads of bull --- ?

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 16:31   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

About 5-6 years ago, I had root canals on two of my molars and subsequently crowns were fitted. On the inner side, i.e. towards the tongue, the crowns seem to be a bit larger than the underlying shaved tooth. Either that, or the open side of the crown is frayed. This causes particles to lodge in the gap, so inspite of rinsing adequately after meals, I have to resort to brushing also. Advice in this regard has ranged from "get the crowns removed and get better fitting ones", to "crowns are hard to remove, dont try it", to "get some filling material shoved into the existing crown's gap". What would be the easiest course of action?
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 16:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Good man. Haven't been to a dentist almost ever. (I don't know if other t-bhpians are like me or they visit the dentist regularly)

So this scaling is done on both the outside and inside of the teeth. right?
And this will make the teeth 'milky white' like those of Bollywood heroins

So this means that all those HLL/Colgate toothpaste which advertise about teeth whitening crystals/granules & shade cards and what not etc etc are all loads of bull --- ?

Cheers,
Yes. Both inside(tongue side) and outside(cheek side).

It'll just get back to your original shade or 10% darker than before. it's done with a ultrasonic scaler which is basically a machine that has a tip that vibrates/oscillates at a very high frequency and physically removes the tar/stains.

Yes, those ads of granules, salts and people opening soft drinks with their teeth after using a particular brand of paste are total bull! Either use colgate total or pepsodent G. both are competing companies and i am not being paid by either to promote them.

Quote:
Originally Posted byBass&Trouble
About 5-6 years ago, I had root canals on two of my molars and subsequently crowns were fitted. On the inner side, i.e. towards the tongue, the crowns seem to be a bit larger than the underlying shaved tooth. Either that, or the open side of the crown is frayed. This causes particles to lodge in the gap, so inspite of rinsing adequately after meals, I have to resort to brushing also. Advice in this regard has ranged from "get the crowns removed and get better fitting ones", to "crowns are hard to remove, dont try it", to "get some filling material shoved into the existing crown's gap". What would be the easiest course of action?

Don't look for easiest course of action. Look for best and long lasting course of action.

Best is to get the crown removed and a new one put.
Crowns can be removed easily with care by an experienced professional without any damage to the underlying tooth. Crowns need to be cut through to be removed rather than pulled out of the teeth which would cause damage or fracture of the said tooth.
"shoving" material into a crown gap is a stop gap arrangement, it's like sticking duct-tape to a torn silencer.

faulty crowns will lead to gum loss and soon bone loss and result in loosening of your tooth within 5-8years leading to extractions. So my advice, change it within the next 6-8months.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 11th December 2008 at 16:50.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 17:18   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Good initiative! I am a smoker too and have to go for the bi-annual scaling and polishing regime.

I had a root canal once and was to fly back to Dubai so could not get the crown fitted. Miraculosuly, the tooth has survived and its been functioning normally. This was about an year ago. However, going by my Dentist's advice, I think I should go for the crown now.

Could you suggest me which would be the best material for crown? Metal/Porcelain/Semi porcelain? Also, what are the expected costs for the same?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 17:38   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Best is to get the crown removed and a new one put.
Can this be expected to be painful?
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:01   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,711
Thanked: 1,084 Times
Default

I guess its about time the non kerala bhpians get the same benefits as we do
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:03   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 80
Thanked: Once
Default

Oh My God....I was scared even to meet a dentist... lemme go and do a scaling and let you know the exp.... Any suggestion for good dentist in Bangalore?
fatherlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:04   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Are there any medical professionals on this forum? If so please post. Atleast our members can get a free consultation here!

Strictly no soliciting clients though!!!

My scope of specialization:
General Dentistry
Gum Disease (periodontology/ periodontist): involves treating loose teeth, bleeding gums, bone grafting, gum grafting, etc.
Implantology: replace missing teeth
Sports Dentistry



@MODS: if you consider this a waste of server space or inappropriate please delete. I'm just trying to provide free community service and patient education here.
Excellent initiative tejas. Certainly not a waste of space. This could be really handy thread.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 18:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I think I should go for the crown now.

Could you suggest me which would be the best material for crown? Metal/Porcelain/Semi porcelain? Also, what are the expected costs for the same?

Yes, you better go in for a crown before the tooth cracks. Root canal treated teeth tend to become brittle and must be crowned soon. A fractured tooth is very difficult to treat and may need to be removed. So better safe than sorry.

Which crown depends on your priorities and budget:

options from best to last:

Zirconium crowns - best aesthetics, not recommended for people who grind/clench their teeth. Cost per unit: 10K to 24k

All ceramic crowns - very good aesthetics and again not for grinders. Cost per unit: 8K-15k

Metal with full ceramic cover: most popular. good aesthetics, not recommended for front teeth since not translucent. Grinders may have to replace 5-8yearly. Cost per unit:4k-8k

Metal with ceramic facing: average aesthetics for back teeth use. Used in patients with budget restrictions and severe grinders. Cost per unit:3k-6k

full metal: hardly used since zero aesthetics. for budget conscious patients. Cost per unit:1k-2k

Acrylic crowns: though white in colour, poor aesthetics and brittle. Used as temporary crowns and in budget conscious patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Can this be expected to be painful?
Since the root canal was done, and if properly done, there will be no pain whatsoever. Be sure to ask your dentist for an immediate temporary crown to be fixed before your final one comes from the lab. Temporary crowns are made chairside and you should never leave with a cut unexposed tooth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherlover View Post
Any suggestion for good dentist in Bangalore?
I don't want to recommend anyone, least i get into trouble for advertising for colleagues on the forum. Ask your friends for recommendations in bangy. I'll be glad to give a second opinion here on what your dentist advices though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Excellent initiative tejas. Certainly not a waste of space. This could be really handy thread.
Thanks. Other docs please register. This is turning into a dental thread!!!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 20:27   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherlover View Post
Oh My God....I was scared even to meet a dentist... lemme go and do a scaling and let you know the exp.... Any suggestion for good dentist in Bangalore?
from my experience: after scaling, at least for a day or two, taking hot or cold food send shivers up the tooth. don't do it when you are expected to go for a feast.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 23:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
from my experience: after scaling, at least for a day or two, taking hot or cold food send shivers up the tooth. don't do it when you are expected to go for a feast.
That's because your dentist hasn't given you a fluoride rinse after scaling. As a norm, after scaling we tell patients to gargle a few times with a fluoride mouthwash to eliminate this possibility. In cases where the person is extremely sensitive while scaling itself, we apply a fluoride gel for 5 minutes after scaling. This takes care of all grievances.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 00:25   #15
BHPian
 
carfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Udupi
Posts: 543
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

My area of specialisation is psychiatry guys!!anyone interested for a free consult??confidentiality will be strictly maintained
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations arjyamaj Shifting gears 231 18th August 2017 14:27
Calling Networking and Server specialists! Red Liner Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 24th October 2015 12:47
Why do doctors make us wait for Hours? Daewood Shifting gears 22 23rd September 2011 21:36
Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice... gbpscars Shifting gears 16 29th July 2009 16:38
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help MillionSwords Shifting gears 13 18th March 2009 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks