Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th December 2008, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Beware next time you are on road trip with GPS/lappy!!!

Have you heard the news about two suspects caught in Jamnagar with GPS and lappy travelling in a Indica.
Now indians law enforcement are becomming paranoid like post 9/11 US.
Please share your thoughts on this as half the members here uses GPS in their cars as Useability and hobby.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 17:56   #2
BHPian

I have GPS on my phone does that automatically make me a suspect ? i use it pretty often too.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 17:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a map in my car. Will they arrest me??
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

exactly my point. Now people can survey any area without even leaving their home through, Google Earth, Digital Globe. etc.

These people could not analyze a stray off-course fishing boat for nearly a week. and now they are try to be wannabe alert. Its ridiculous.
Old 12th December 2008, 18:07   #5
ECM
BHPian

Not ridiculous,such safety measures which is now ON after paying a hefty price.We have to support police in such cases.Don't forget after 911 authorities banned shaving cream,toothpaste in flights,here matter is only with GPS.
Quote:
Its ridiculous.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Not ridiculous,such safety measures which is now ON after paying a hefty price.We have to support police in such cases.Don't forget after 911 authorities banned shaving cream,toothpaste in flights,here matter is only with GPS.
So if GPS was banned you are saying attacks would not have happened?
AK-47s are banned. That did not prevent the attack, did it?
I am surprised how easily people give up their freedoms.

And I am sure in 911, the terrorists hijacked planes with shaving cream

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th December 2008 at 18:15.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am surprised how easily people give up their freedoms
Exactly my point, can't be said better than this.

actually its pure common sense.
These police and defense personal are given one course on psychological analysis. But who cares and who uses them.
Most of them are drunked in stakeouts and night duties.

With their training they can very well differentiate between suspects and common man, but who uses them in real world.

Last edited by SirAlec : 12th December 2008 at 18:18.
Old 12th December 2008, 18:18   #8
BHPian

These are panic buttons being pressed by the enforcement authorities. However its only the innocent who tend to suffer in these testing times. This is also a classic case of thinking by our cops that the terrorists will use the same method all over again. Its really important that they preempt and be proactive rather than reactive.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 18:20   #9
ECM
BHPian

Tanveer we are known as Late Latifs,a general constable may not be aware of GPS's functions,he has been told by his top officials to treat those who use GPS as suspects.I never said that if GPS was banned attacks would not happened,you say that.
And I have no idea how they hijacked flights during 911 as I was not on board!
Quote:
I am surprised how easily people give up their freedoms.

And I am sure in 911, the terrorists hijacked planes with shaving cream
Old 12th December 2008, 18:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yet another example of Security theater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 19:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Tanveer we are known as Late Latifs,a general constable may not be aware of GPS's functions,he has been told by his top officials to treat those who use GPS as suspects.I never said that if GPS was banned attacks would not happened,you say that.
And I have no idea how they hijacked flights during 911 as I was not on board!
Question here is will the rural SP or any one of his rank know the difference between an A-GPS phone and a GPS phone ?

The number of Indian GPS users to terrorists I say is a five lakh to one.

The users of GPS will include boats, ships, aircraft, naval & military establishments and people with enabled handsets.

Does that mean that 1 person or ten mis use technology the state will ban that technology ? at this rate even the cellphones should be banned !

It's time they REALLY did their own job rather than banning technology or questioning use of high tech electronic goods.
Old 13th December 2008, 01:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

the main aim is to divert attention from real issues.
For example every time a terror email comes, the media and all make a whole hue and cry about unsecured wireless.
The question is, is the email a bomb. Will that email blast? No? Why concentrate on email. Even if we banned internet in India, there are probably a million mailboxes scattered around the country, a terrorist can drop a letter in the mailbox and nobody will know who did it.
But rather than tackle the actual problem of bombs and guns entering country, you create 5 day headlines about unsecure wireless.
Tomorrow some terrorist will hide bomb in underwear, and I shudder to think what the Slimes of India will publish
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 01:45   #13
BHPian

Reality is that they are soo clueed into the ghooos is that they don't know what their real job is.

I wish to encompass all Cops around the country, the Mumbai ones are far more clued into their own job than the rest around this great nation.

FYI - UP cops do have automatic SLRs. *unlike thier rich state brethren the Mumbai cops
Old 13th December 2008, 06:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

LONGISH...

Lucky that one of our team doing recce for Desert Storm around the same time in that region did not get in to this imbroglio.

Ban GPS because it MAY be used for negative purpose. Ban MAPS because...Ban CAMERA's because...Ban KNIVES because....Ban GUNS because...Ban WIRELESS because...

We are giving up our freedoms too easily and BAN is applied to us law abiders while terrorists did not seek a license(and I do not see a future where they will or can be made to). So what is effectivity of bans and licenses?

Do they really know what shapes GPS and loggers come in? A small USB key sized logger with position mark button - touted as photo locale marker - is sold off internet for measily pricing. Even a dim bulb terrorist need not become visible if he chooses to use such a device. And then he can go to an internet shoppe and use this data with net-maps and picture assists to do what ever nefarious planning. So next BAN computer at home because....

Internet cafe was used by a terrorist to send email so BAN internet cafe's.....
Networking gets you Google maps (or likes) so BAN google maps...
Computers are used for sending email and kidnappers used email to send ransom BAN computers because....

Today there are so many legitimate use of GPS. Architects use high end ones to map contours and plots. Road users, trackers, photo-taggging, cell phones, follow-me helpers. Then consider where these guys were caught? Is India becoming closed to Indians? I may agree to need for border control zones - although I doubt that this is proving to be any detterent- but what next a permit to travel out of your home town? BAN travel...

This may seem too far fetched and a rant but if you give up your freedoms without the aim of giving up being achieved you are just assenting to another source of harrasment, graft or both.

How to address this issue? What authorities to petition? Yes PETITION now we will have to do that for our basic rights?
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 09:14   #15
ECM
BHPian

Detailed report is there in today's newspapers why police held them.Read it please.
Quote:
It's time they REALLY did their own job rather than banning technology or questioning use of high tech electronic goods.