Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 13:01   #316
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 572
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

guys wanted to share something...
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
ashish22 is offline  
Old 27th March 2009, 13:26   #317
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Just ask your friends in other product MNCs in India. The number of companies which give such freebies is very close to 0 now. CISCO is one of the best managed companies and they got there by executing really well. All these freebies are unaffordable luxuries in today's times.

... and no, I don't work for CISCO. I am just being realistic in today's times.
Not exactly, the MNCs into FMCG & durables like Lever, P&G etc have some pretty decent canteens & perks. Tata for one has some really wild perks, i've audited them, and it used to be like a hill station, bearers on hand, coffee, tea, snacks, juices etc. Not to all and sundry but yes, these perks do exist.

At the factories such as a prominent tyre manufacturer, the exec canteen was like eating at Il Pallazo (old Parsi hotel) of Panchgani, very proper, very British. Food style was the same as well.

These companies do not generally reduce these perks as most of them are after negotiations with Unions (employee unions) at least with the FMCG and old economy companies.

Yes, the slowdown has affected and CISCO in this case makes most of its profits from institutional high value sales of its equipment, now with lesser and lesser companies being set up/upgrading its obvious that they will be the first to be hit in terms of revenue.

Haven't come across any type of cross cutting with the PSUs such as BPCL, HP, SBI, Union Bank etc. Infact BPCL has one of the best facilities around with the works.
mmmjgm is offline  
Old 28th March 2009, 19:50   #318
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Not exactly, the MNCs into FMCG & durables like Lever, P&G etc have some pretty decent canteens & perks. Tata for one has some really wild perks, i've audited them, and it used to be like a hill station, bearers on hand, coffee, tea, snacks, juices etc. Not to all and sundry but yes, these perks do exist.
I am sorry I wasn't clear. I meant MNC product companies in IT industry. Freebies are getting-reduced or going-away depending on the health of the company. Most of them are facing severe pressure on Revenues and Margins and hence these decisions.
hondadude is offline  
Old 29th March 2009, 08:59   #319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Yup, each post gives a hint what it is, but not naming it!

Finally, when Amtak said about the TV ad, I realized it was Cisco....
Reminds me of a Russell Peters joke,

"You know it's YOU, but he won't say it.
Somebody's get hurt real bad, SOMEBODY!"

"He will never say, YOU!"
given2fly is offline  
Old 29th March 2009, 16:07   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

One of my close relatives is likely to be fired tomorrow. During our conversation we discussed something, which, I would like to ask here as well.

He is getting fired coz he has been on bench since one month now, yes just one month. He is a star employee and got accolades and gift vouchers and, well various things.

Come last Thursday his teammates all of a sudden started getting calls to the HR cabin and were asked to pack up.

My question is, can he ask for a prolonged vacation, w/o pay,say, 3 months and then come back when there are client openings, which are currently on hold?
What are the changes of that? Are there any overheads for the company in this case as well?

Amazingly companies will not call up thier laid off employees, if at all there is an opening, rather they will search for fresh people. Why ? Is there any logic here which i'm not getting? Of course if the laid off employee has got a position elsewhere then the HR need not bother. But I feel the first call should go to the sacked ones, then the other alternatives whould be approached. What says guys?
prince_pervez is offline  
Old 29th March 2009, 17:12   #321
BHPian
 
siddvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
....Amazingly companies will not call up thier laid off employees, if at all there is an opening, rather they will search for fresh people. Why ? Is there any logic here which i'm not getting? .... But I feel the first call should go to the sacked ones, then the other alternatives whould be approached. What says guys?

They hire fresh ones 'coz they can start them off on lower wages.
siddvi is offline  
Old 29th March 2009, 18:40   #322
BHPian
 
mmmjgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: BOM, PNQ, DXB
Posts: 398
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
One of my close relatives is likely to be fired tomorrow. During our conversation we discussed something, which, I would like to ask here as well.

He is getting fired coz he has been on bench since one month now, yes just one month. He is a star employee and got accolades and gift vouchers and, well various things.

Come last Thursday his teammates all of a sudden started getting calls to the HR cabin and were asked to pack up.

My question is, can he ask for a prolonged vacation, w/o pay,say, 3 months and then come back when there are client openings, which are currently on hold?
What are the changes of that? Are there any overheads for the company in this case as well?

Amazingly companies will not call up thier laid off employees, if at all there is an opening, rather they will search for fresh people. Why ? Is there any logic here which i'm not getting? Of course if the laid off employee has got a position elsewhere then the HR need not bother. But I feel the first call should go to the sacked ones, then the other alternatives whould be approached. What says guys?
Hi Parvez,

Your relative's request shall depend upon his status, his duration in the company, his appointment/contract etc.

Prima facie as it is is very difficult to say if his request will be honoured. Any which ways if a company wants to cut staff costs, theres little you can do, apart from litigation, and be rest assured, he will get another job before the outcome of the case, thereby jeopardizing his chances in the present co. (you cannot hold two employments, if you are fighting a case against one co and if you join another - without consent terms of the court)

Once this is ascertained then only can your relative be advised.

Better leave on a good note rather than a bitter one.
mmmjgm is offline  
Old 29th March 2009, 18:58   #323
BHPian
 
sameer_dg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 129
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

When is revival going to start. I feel Telco's are least effected is it true.
sameer_dg is offline  
Old 29th March 2009, 19:20   #324
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,711
Thanked: 1,084 Times
Default

Reporting in from one of the top 3 indian IT cos. We're on a hiring freeze, and the middle management is going to be trimmed off, and some moved off to actually working( dev work etc ) instead of "managing" . Its a funny feeling when your manager and his manager are worried about their jobs, but not you. Suddenly I feel sorry for them.
greenhorn is offline  
Old 30th March 2009, 09:21   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 331 Times
Default

Apparently even the Retail industry has started laying off people. A very good friend of mine working for one of the biggest retail chains (Yes, the ones on which normally stone pelting took place in UP/North India by vegetable vendors) is firing about 1,000 odd employees. Middle management and not the senior or Juniors. Also, there's a paycut (I guess 10%). The only good part is that the people who have been shown the doors are getting 3 months full salary. Sad part - The future is bleak.
amtak is offline  
Old 30th March 2009, 10:43   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi Parvez,

Your relative's request shall depend upon his status, his duration in the company, his appointment/contract etc.
@mmmjgm thanks for your reply. Hiring fresher for a job of a senior software engineer seems a bit wierd to me.

The situation is, the client for which he was working for has stopped some phase of development as of now but another phase will commence sometime in July. I thought it would be better to ask for a long unpaid vacation till July, instead of a pink slip.
This makes sense to me considering the cost of searching for an alternative later, then getting the person onboard.
Calling back an employee who has gone on vacation, and, who is willing to join in 2 days time w/o onboarding process, which is resource consuming (time, money, energy) is good enough.
Unless the HR wants to work and save its own job or something which i'm totally missing.
prince_pervez is offline  
Old 30th March 2009, 14:39   #327
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 572
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
When is revival going to start. I feel Telco's are least effected is it true.
As a matter of fact...yes, telco's are least affected
ashish22 is offline  
Old 30th March 2009, 14:50   #328
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
When is revival going to start. I feel Telco's are least effected is it true.
Yes, that's right. My bro who works for one of the top telcom companies was telling me that their revenue has actually gone up as companies and businessmen have cut down on travel and are relying more on phone calls for their work and business.

Even the pharma/healthcare companies are doing fine.
Astleviz is offline  
Old 30th March 2009, 19:38   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

But then there are articles which talk about British Telecom downsizing their employee counts

ChronicleLive - News - Today's Chronicle - BT to hold talks over plans to lose North East jobs
Surprise is offline  
Old 30th March 2009, 22:44   #330
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 572
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

well to be precise Alcatel and cable & wireless are also not doing too well. Alcatel has lost chunk of their business to GTL's and Huawei's of the world. Also had a detailed chat with one of the senior most personnel of C&W and he said that the company is going to suffer because of lack of quality management. Also it does not have much to offer to the market now. So downsizing might be a possibility in C&W in near future.
ashish22 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NANO effect and EURO effect in Small Car market allwheeldrive The Indian Car Scene 8 15th June 2009 22:29
Recession in Dubai leading to migrants abandoning cars @ airport & fleeing country!!! supremeBaleno Shifting gears 31 27th April 2009 13:43
Will Recession hit so hard? Surprise Shifting gears 18 16th March 2009 13:52
Hesitation, Confusion, Recession and then the Decision – ‘Budget’ ICE for a Swift Vxi d_himan In-Car Entertainment 16 19th February 2009 22:06
ANHC- Full Interiors, Rims & HIDs? Or should i let the recession get the best of me? Speeding@160mph Modifications & Accessories 16 22nd December 2008 10:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:16.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks