Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 31st March 2009, 11:26   #331
Senior - BHPian

The market is tough and no one is offering any pay rise. I have had a pay cut of about 15%. I have got another job which is also offering me my "current" reduced salary but a higher position (HOD position as against an AM). Its a small company but doing pretty well where as my current company is in the midst of a turnmoil as we cater to American Equity market.

Thinking of taking the new offer, performing there and then coming back to my original salary.

What say guys?

PS: Due to paycut and other tensions, I have been diagnosed yesterday with Pre-Hypertension by my doctor. Additional cost of medicines!
Old 31st March 2009, 11:29   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
PS: Due to paycut and other tensions, I have been diagnosed yesterday with Pre-Hypertension by my doctor. Additional cost of medicines!
Dont go the medication way. Try and do meditation and yoga.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:37   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I second this. This is a lot better than going the medication way.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:43   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I second this. This is a lot better than going the medication way.
I have been exercising for the past 3 months and its just that I got married last month, could not hit the Gym. I have though decided that I would hit it on a regular basis from 1st of April (Not an April fool's joke).
Old 31st March 2009, 11:43   #335
BHPian

amtak, do not resort to medicenes at such an intial stage. Your body will ultimately become the slave. Instead fight this off with yoga as suggested by others. Better to spend on quality cardio regime rather then spending on medicenes. Your body can sustain without medicenes right now. Also stop unnecessary thinking. Everything happens for good
Old 31st March 2009, 11:52   #336
Senior - BHPian

I felt running a good stress buster....tyr either yoga or running am sure the result will be good.

but i prefer running!
Old 31st March 2009, 11:55   #337
Senior - BHPian

We were discussing something like this yesterday during the lunch time. One of our directors, who was having lunch with us, suggested this "so what" stuff to get out of too much of thinking/depression. For example, I lost my job. So what? I will get a new one. What if I do not get one? So what? I will find some other method to survive.. and so on. I know it is very easy to say this, and difficult to implement, but, I am sure it will help us in bad times. If not anything, it will keep us better humoured in this hour of crisis and I bet each one of us needs it more than anytime before.

Things are uncertain for us too. The big blue is eyeing our company and I shudder to think of the ocean we might get into, if they decide to keep us. All this, if the talks of the on-going merger/takeover/whatever are true... Trying times ahead, but, I do not have anything in my control. So, apart from going through and understanding my area of work more and preparing for the interviews that might lie ahead, I am not doing anything now.

I am beginning to ask, "so what if big blue acquires us and we go jobless?". My wife has given me confidence that we will do with whatever we have until I secure a new job in that case. So, it gets going.

Well, too much of a rant, all for the sake of a rumour...
Old 31st March 2009, 11:57   #338
BHPian

@Amtak
The main reason not to change jobs now is that normally companies remove the new guys before touching the older guys.

That said, I expect companies to have removed all the people they wanted to remove by now. So if they are hiring, it is for people they NEED. Hence there should be a less chance for new joinees being removed later.

In your case, you are moving from a larger to a smaller firm. Always a difficult decision. I have always personally felt that if the smaller firm is financially viable and strong in business, there is always greater growth opportunity in smaller firms vis-a-vie larger firms, as your work in smaller firms will always get recognised.

My suggestion - If your present job is causing uncertainity and hence stress and BP issues, then switch jobs. No use losing your health over work matters.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:37   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
@Amtak

My suggestion - If your present job is causing uncertainity and hence stress and BP issues, then switch jobs. No use losing your health over work matters.
True. I have been an HR guy once upon a time and then moved to Administration fraternity. Here the job involves me to set up new offices and manage the existing ones. This is a sure sign that the company is growing. If I contribute well and also keep the costs of the company low, I am bound to reap the benefits at a later stage. Hence, this makes me feel a little relaxed.

With regards to the present job, just wanted to share with you that some of our senior management left the company sighting personal reasons. This makes me more vulnerable to think about the future and get tensed.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:40   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With regards to the present job, just wanted to share with you that some of our senior management left the company sighting personal reasons. This makes me more vulnerable to think about the future and get tensed.
This is how senior management is mostly booted out of the company too.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:57   #341
BHPian

Quote:
The market is tough and no one is offering any pay rise. I have had a pay cut of about 15%. I have got another job which is also offering me my "current" reduced salary but a higher position (HOD position as against an AM). Its a small company but doing pretty well where as my current company is in the midst of a turnmoil as we cater to American Equity market.

Thinking of taking the new offer, performing there and then coming back to my original salary.

What say guys?

Hey Amtak,

Hold on, forget the salary blues, as from what equation you have provided my conclusion is simple.

The american equity market has not reached its bottom as of now. You will have to make a call on how robust the new company is (do your due diligence) and find out how robust the new company you will join is.

If your present co is able to withstand 3 - 4 years at present market conditions (look at the rate of client attrition) then stay on. Or you can move out.

Please do not resort to medication, the correct spelling is meditation

Give me a call sometimes (since you are in Bombay) may be we can come up with some really wild stress busting things.

Hey, its not as bad with you, there are people who are really worse off, say the marginal people who earn daily revenues.

Cheers & have a ball.

Regards

M
Old 31st March 2009, 15:51   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hey Amtak,

If your present co is able to withstand 3 - 4 years at present market conditions (look at the rate of client attrition) then stay on. Or you can move out.

M
Sending you a PM. Lets discuss this over a PM.
Old 1st April 2009, 21:10   #343
Senior - BHPian

How about this for cost cutting : Being given awarded "expired" gift coupons by the company.
Old 1st April 2009, 21:18   #344
BHPian

Default Massive layoffs would fix the economic crisis

Might be slightly OT :

How would you fix the economy?
The St. Petersburg Times asked readers for ideas. David Otterson nailed it: There’s about 40 million people older than 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance with stipulations. Forty million job openings — unemployment fixed. They buy new American cars. Forty million cars ordered — auto industry fixed. They either buy a house or pay off their mortgage — housing crisis fixed.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:05   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
40 million people older than 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance with stipulations.
Thats what lot of people are saying but in different words.

Basically it means "Print Money".

Problem is, it will result in a weaker dollar. And BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) will stop lending to USA.
Closed Thread