Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 2nd April 2009, 00:35   #346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
There’s about 40 million people older than 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance with stipulations.
You realize that is 40 TRILLION dollars you are talking of. No government anywhere has that kind of money. It is nearly four times the GDP of the USA. Even if you print the money, it will lead to hyperinflation.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:10   #347
BHPian

@amtak - I've been in a similar situation like you. I did not face any salary cuts but there was just no work for me (software development - product company). And we had quite a bit of client attrition. Instead of stagnating in the job, I decided to move to a much smaller 'growing' company. It makes much more sense right now to join somewhere where you are an important cog in the scheme of things. This is the chance to grow.

And I truly understand when you say that you were facing stress - I went through the same even though I claim myself to be immune to mental exhaustion.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:23   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Basically it means "Print Money".

Problem is, it will result in a weaker dollar. And BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) will stop lending to USA.
Weaker dollar is an understatement. If you are a Zimbabwean, you would know. In Zimbabwe, those over 50 year olds can paid a sum of $1 million with a single bank note. Currently 1 US$ = Z$ 37 million. You will need some million dollars to buy a loaf of bread at the local bakery!!

So, if the US prints dollar notes to pay off its over 50 year olds, maybe we will finally have some parity between the US and Zimbabwean dollar
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:25   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Weaker dollar is an understatement. If you are a Zimbabwean, you would know. In Zimbabwe, those over 50 year olds can paid a sum of $1 million with a single bank note. Currently 1 US$ = Z$ 37 million. You will need some million dollars to buy a loaf of bread at the local bakery!!

So, if the US prints dollar notes to pay off its over 50 year olds, maybe we will finally have some parity between the US and Zimbabwean dollar
Thats not true. See this:
U.S. Dollar to Zimbabwe Dollar Exchange Rate - Yahoo! Finance India=
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:33   #350
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but why are we discussing Zimbabwe here? Let's stick to topic please and we can have a separate thread for Forex rates!
Old 4th April 2009, 16:19   #351
BHPian

The place I am working in has done away with paper cups and tissue papers in the pantries.
A month or so back, all of us were provided with new tags for our id card (reasoning behind this - None provided).
A few weeks back, the locks for all the cabinets were changed (reasoning - NA).
A couple of months back, the locks for all these same cabinets were changed (reasoning - NA).

I sometimes wonder what our administration/facilities department is trying to achieve here.
Old 4th April 2009, 20:06   #352
BHPian

Default The crisis if credit visualized

See the video in the link below to understand the current credit crisis visually.

Old 6th April 2009, 15:59   #353
BHPian

They have drastically reduced meetings and training. Less meetings, the better !!
No outbound local calls now.
Old 7th April 2009, 04:53   #354
BHPian

Buddy trust me, the new age Admin guys can be absolutely jacka**es. They don't mostly know anything and will take anything that may sound wow to them but are nothing but excruciating pain to the employees. And the best thing is no matter where you report it, they never listen to the employees. No wonder, people stop communicating with them sooner than later.

PS : I don't mean any disrespect to anyone in that field. But this is the general way of working for many of them. I am not comparing the peaches with the rotten eggs at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3 View Post
The place I am working in has done away with paper cups and tissue papers in the pantries.
A month or so back, all of us were provided with new tags for our id card (reasoning behind this - None provided).
A few weeks back, the locks for all the cabinets were changed (reasoning - NA).
A couple of months back, the locks for all these same cabinets were changed (reasoning - NA).

I sometimes wonder what our administration/facilities department is trying to achieve here.
Old 12th April 2009, 19:50   #355
Senior - BHPian

Infy sacks 2100 employees in the disguise of non-performance!

More here: Infosys fires 2,100 - Software & Services-News-Indiatimes - Infotech
Old 13th April 2009, 09:14   #356
BHPian

As this quarter end is approaching(April end), one of our boss has hinted that number of people will be reduced in our team of 7 people! As i'm the latest joinee to the team, my position is shaking :( God help me!
Old 13th April 2009, 12:51   #357
BHPian

What is your profile, Ramki. Anything we could help you out with, will be our pleasure to help out a fellow t-bhpian.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:58   #358
BHPian

As this is same all over, we have no diff working for Big BPO-IT company for more than 4 yrs now, I have no project after I get released out of my current one. may be bad period will come in month or two. Working for Oracle Apps DBA for 9 yrs now, haven't see such situation. Buttering and favouratism always overshadow Hard work. that's what i have seen in this s*** company.
Old 13th April 2009, 13:04   #359
gpa
Senior - BHPian

My company has cut pay by 10% for junior staff and 20% for senior staff, but they have thrown in an extra holiday in the month. I know this is not much, but they have not fired any employees thus far.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 13th April 2009, 13:11   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
What is your profile, Ramki. Anything we could help you out with, will be our pleasure to help out a fellow t-bhpian.
Thanks given2fly for your concern. I'm into embedded testing basically into settop box testing.
Closed Thread