Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th December 2008, 22:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default ALERT!!! Kerala Road Safety Cess - Have you paid it?

I am dumb. Really. Every month, I attest the photocopies of at least 2 registration certificates and for some days now, several RCs have been having this sticker about the road safety cess. But of course, nothing in your vehicles' papers will tell me if I am liable to pay this cess on my vehicle. And poor silly me believed that I need not pay this because my vehicle is already registered and one time tax paid.

But then, this banner headline in today's leading Malayalam daily had me concerned.

Apparently, the time to pay is over. Now, you have to pay a 10% penalty.

The rates are as shown below:-
Quote:
1 Heavy Motor Vehicle 250/-
2 Medium Motor Vehicle 150/-
3 Light Motor Vehicle 100/-
4 Two Wheeler 50/-
Taken from:- The Official Website of Law Department,Government Secretariat,Kerala

Some news items:-

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/t...12/27/&prd=th&

Malayalam - Mathrubhumi

I cannot figure out what the penalty is for failure to pay the cess, though. Probably, you will be flagged down and fined for some trivial offence??
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 23:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do we pay Cess only on vehicles registered in Kerala? I'm curious because I now have 2 out-of-state vehicles running in the state.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 14:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I was told about the need to pay the one-time cess yesterday. I called up the RTO office in Kakkanad (04842422246) to find out about it. It seems the one time cess is to be paid at the time of registration of the vehicle, and in the case of vehicles registered over the last 9 months, the payment of the cess is marked right in the RC. I checked my RC and found that it has indeed been paid, and marked in the RC, along with road tax.

The fine for delay in payment is Rs.10.00. Payment can be made in any FRIENDS counter (Rs.100.00 + 10.00). They are reportedly asking to see the RC book before taking payment (even photocopy will do).

@backseatdriver, I heard that the cops who flag you down are collecting 1500/- as penalty for non-payment of the cess. This is not first-hand info, but I do see more and more roadside checking points coming up over the last 2-3 days.

@steer, I will check with the RTO and let you know tomorrow (Monday) about this.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 03:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

heard different stories about this one ,some saying cops are collecting 200~400, to some saying 2k, and others saying govt has instructed that the punitive fines and checking not be enforced for another 3 months or so. either way, havent run into any checking for the same so far
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 06:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
checking not be enforced for another 3 months or so
this is the version I read in newspaper.and yes ,paid already.now ,that they enforced cess ,cant kerala gov removes the 1 rupee addition for whatever they claim on petrol/diesel per litre price? :x
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 11:11   #6

The "FRIENDS" counter person told me police wont even be checking the cess records for a 6-month period.

There are no stickers available for the laminated RC books to date, so i will have to store the FRIENDS counter receipt as the record. The old RC books will have a seal and signature added saying the cess has been paid.

@steeroid, Only Kerala government is imposing the cess, so i don't think out-of-state vehicles will/should be levied the cess.
archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:49   #7
BHPian

But this report quoted by Backseatdriver says vehicles from other states also need to pay the cess.

"The department has clarified that the cess was applicable for government vehicles and vehicles from other States also."

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/t.../12/27/&prd=th&

Anyway it is a very small amount, so paying up won't be an issue.

I will pay it for my KL-01 car through somebody or next time I visit Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
@steeroid, Only Kerala government is imposing the cess, so i don't think out-of-state vehicles will/should be levied the cess.
sudheeshnairs is offline   Reply With Quote