Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th March 2013, 12:19   #76
BHPian

Default Re: SCMM 2013 Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Thanks.

I ran the Auroville FM too on 10th Feb. So that takes the count to 3 within 40 days.

I'm presently on rest but will do one this month too. Have planned a 12 months 12 Marathons for this calendar year. Let's see how it goes
Wow, amazing runs. My wife did half marathon at SCMM 2013 and inspired me into running. I had never run earlier. I started with Thane Marathon where I did a 5 km run and am gunning for half marathon at SCMM 2014. Currently, I'm practicing outdoors and do about 8.5 km in an hour (without water or any other refreshments). I do running and cycling alternately. My plan is to continue with outdoor runs/cycling till rains start. I will get into gym during rains to build stamina/muscles.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 00:11   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SCMM 2013 Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Generally the previous marathon served as the last long run for the next. Planning the events for the next few months. Hopefully will do Istanbul in November.

Half Marathon can be done every week. FM just takes a little more effort.
The whole point of running the Halfs was to replace the long runs with these. But the only problem is that I was unable to simulate the Full Marathon race day situations as I ended up racing in them. The last half had an average pace of 8.37 mins/mile. For the full I don't think I can run anywhere close to this. In fact I'm targeting a 9.45 pace. Lets see how it goes!
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 11:08   #78

Default Re: The Running / Marathon Thread

Good to see so many runners/marathoners here. When does registration of Hyd marathon start. I will be running there this year. I hope i come close to 4 Hrs mark at the marathon. How is the overall route. Any tips for people who shall run Hyd first time.
Prawaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 15:48   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawaal View Post
Good to see so many runners/marathoners here. When does registration of Hyd marathon start. I will be running there this year. I hope i come close to 4 Hrs mark at the marathon. How is the overall route. Any tips for people who shall run Hyd first time.
Registrations should start soon.

And the only tip for running Hyderabad Marathon is training hills!

Do hills, hills and some more hills

And this is the elevation profile http://www.marathonhyderabad.com/wp-...l-marathon.png
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:44   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23507028

so it seems, strike is more important than shoe. but only 12 subjects?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 12:45   #81
BHPian

Default Runner's Knee

So I have been suffering from this annoying pain on my left knee for the past week which has now forced me to cut down my runs and I'm barely able to keep my leg bent for a day or two after the run. A little 'googling' told me that what I'm suffering from is Runner's Knee, which is quite common among runners.

I wanted to know if I should cut down on the distance or simply stop running for some time? I keep on increasing my distance every week and currently I'm running 7 kms every alternate day + 3km walk and the day's I don't run, I walk 10kms. My old running shoes gave away and I've been using training shoes for running which I suspect is the reason for my Runner's Knee. Usually the pain begins about 2-3kms into the run and it's tolerably enough that I can complete my run but since the past two days I've been having a hard time throughout the day after the run. I was thinking of getting a pattelar support band, something like this.

Also, can someone recommend good running shoes? Preferably below 3.5k.

Thanks!
cataclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 14:54   #82

Registrations are open.
http://www.marathonhyderabad.com
www.marathonhyderabad.com

Mod Note: Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word software (MS Word etc.). That results in a formatting error on our Forum.

Click here to know how to remove FONT Tags from your post (Removing [FONT] [SIZE] and [COLOR] tags from your post).

Going forward, do keep in mind that it's best to type directly into Team-BHP.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th May 2013 at 15:54.
Prawaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 22:24   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
So I have been suffering from this annoying pain on my left knee for the past week which has now forced me to cut down my runs

My old running shoes gave away and I've been using training shoes for running which I suspect is the reason for my Runner's Knee.

can someone recommend good running shoes? Preferably below 3.5k.
I think you are right about the shoe being cause of knee pain.
I had similar problems when I changed my road running shoes. I used my Adidas Mana6 (Rs 5500 Sep 11) for over 1300 km when I switched to Adidas F50.2 (Rs 4500 Feb 13). That's when the pain started. So I ordered the trusted Mana6 online for Rs 3400 since it was no longer available in store. The knee pain disappeared almost immediately when I switched back to Mana6.
So its important to choose the right shoe for road. You need to get shoes designed for your pronation.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 23:18   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't go trail running with barefoot shoes :(
(see till the end)
Here's my Fila skeletoes - still doing good (some 50km done since then - half shopping, half walking) after the bruising they got while I barreled downhill in GHNP.

Any trail-specific shoes (except the Merrell Trail Glove 2) that BHPians recommend? Anyone here used the KSO Trek extensively?
Attached Thumbnails
The Running / Marathon Thread-processed_img_7834.jpg  

phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 02:19   #85
Senior - BHPian

One thing that annoys me incredibly much when running is the way my phone and wallet flop around in pocket. Seriously, incredibly disturbing.

I didn't want to get one of those sleeve things some people have on their arms and running without my phone and wallet was out of question.

Googled and the overwhelming majority of results seemed to say that buying an SPI belt was the way to go. Reading the reviews on amazon only further proved that *all* runners swear by it.

So last week I ordered one and upon receiving it today, I took it out for a test 6km run. Verdict? It is a must have. My phone and wallet stayed in place, there was no bouncing or flopping what so ever and the belt didn't move/slide around. Oh and you don't really feel like you're wearing a belt! The fact that it is discreet and compact is a bonus. All round win!

Last edited by anekho : 8th May 2013 at 02:20.
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 02:30   #86
BHPian

Hi Anekho. I face the same problem while running so I leave my wallet at home and keep few hundred bucks in my pocket with the phone in my hand.
And where did you order the SPI belt from? Is it available here in India online or in any store?
midazolam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 16:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Hi Anekho. I face the same problem while running so I leave my wallet at home and keep few hundred bucks in my pocket with the phone in my hand.
And where did you order the SPI belt from? Is it available here in India online or in any store?
Hey midazolam! I ordered mine from the online sports store wiggle.co.uk and I think they ship to India as well! No hassles with them and I received my SPI belt within 4 days of ordering.
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 02:35   #88
BHPian

Thanks Anekho for the info.
Yes they do deliver it to India but after adding the delivery charges and all, it turns out to be close to 2500 bucks! So, it's better to get it delivered to someone in UK itself.
Old 9th May 2013, 09:41   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Thanks Anekho for the info.
Yes they do deliver it to India but after adding the delivery charges and all, it turns out to be close to 2500 bucks! So, it's better to get it delivered to someone in UK itself.
Available here: http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewIt...tness-Pack-NEW for about Rs. 1800

Also check http://www.ebay.com/ (the US site, not the Indian one) for "running belt", there are many knock offs with free / cheap shipping to India.
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 00:50   #90
BHPian

Hey thanks man for all the help. Actually I ordered it to my friend's place in UK from wiggle itself. He will be coming to India next month.
And I ordered the water-proof one, would be of help during those rafting trips to rishikesh