Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 28th April 2005, 11:14   #31
BHPian

I love the fact that some of us who are aggressive have pretty strong view points on the subject...but lemme give you an example of what i mean like in shifting gears there are two thread one on bodybuilding-measurements and the other on weightlifting-fitness and stuff dont u think these can be merged if one uses a bit more common sense and a little tad less of over confidence of knowledge...hey i appreciate suggestions!
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 11:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx
I love the fact that some of us who are aggressive have pretty strong view points on the subject...but lemme give you an example of what i mean like in shifting gears there are two thread one on bodybuilding-measurements and the other on weightlifting-fitness and stuff dont u think these can be merged if one uses a bit more common sense and a little tad less of over confidence of knowledge...hey i appreciate suggestions!
even i agree with nitroxx. these threads might be useful for certain sect of people and so can be merged and people can put their vaulable suggestions in the same.

members should always make a search of the new topics they want to start a thread of and then post anything if there is no relevant thread already existing. if hte treads already exists then they can post their opinions on the same thread.

shubbhi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 12:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Done. The first warning will be delivered privately, henceforth
Thats a interesting suggestion and good of mods to take note of!
While I posted my first intro post on tbhp, I wasn't thinking about using too many smilies...they just happened due to habit...because I do believe that in a forum world you cannot always get the "tone" of the guy who is posting hence some smilies (the simple face ones) are important to let others know what exactly you mean and people dont take offense at some statement you make,. But I was immediately reprimanded by Mods about not reading the rules and I accept my mistake as those are rules ! But what I see happening is people do post lots n lots of fancy smilies (not many in a post) bt ones which take a lot of screen space & are bigger than the atual post!

So while advertising/spamming and general nuisance/kiddish behaviour should always be hardly dealt with I don't think simple smilies are too offensive to anybody....hey this is just my opinion and as long as I am a member of this forum I will always try to abide by the rules set....and the mods do a great job I think!

also I agree with the merging thing totally though...also members should try not to post too many rumours/recycled news all the time.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 14:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

instead of taking out all the minor unnecessary( being nicknamed the "bad") points, why dont well all try to appericate the good points of team bhp??...
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 16:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix
instead of taking out all the minor unnecessary( being nicknamed the "bad") points, why dont well all try to appericate the good points of team bhp??...
You cant get any better unless you sit back to introspect, understand what all went wrong and think of ways to counter that. You can as well choose to ignore all minor irritants, but sooner or later they will come back haunting you in much bigger scale. Of course, no need to be cynical or personal in criticism.

Last edited by RX135 : 28th April 2005 at 16:39.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 20:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
So while advertising/spamming and general nuisance/kiddish behaviour should always be hardly dealt with I don't think simple smilies are too offensive to anybody....
Hi Abhay,

We dont think simple smileys are offensive either.
Thats why members are allowed to use upto 2 per post.
They reason we had to enforce a limit of 2 was because if we didnt, some people who are given an inch take a mile. Threads were looking like giant animated GIF images, and it was very irritating for members who were interested in the posted information rather than if the poster was "happy" or "clapping" or "stupid" or "agree" or "confused".
Hence the limit, and i really dont feel like its anywhere near strict.

About the first warning being private, well initially, all warnings were via PM. Then as the forum got bigger and the workload for the mods increased, it just became a lot easier and quicker for us to post a note in the post itself. This served 4 purposes
1. Showing that some action has been taken which prevents us from getting a 15 emails showing that members have reported that post.
2. Prevent disobedient members from complaining that "but when XYZ did the same thing you didnt do anything" when they are warned via PM.
3. Makes members aware of the rules. (lets face it...how many of you guys have actually read through the entire announcements section!?)
4. Prevents all ~10 mods from PMing the same member with a warning when they see that post. (as opposed to if its edited there itself its clear that some action has been taken.)

Anyway, all first warnings will be private from now on once again, i totally agree with that.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th April 2005 at 20:47.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 08:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
You cant get any better unless you sit back to introspect, understand what all went wrong and think of ways to counter that. You can as well choose to ignore all minor irritants, but sooner or later they will come back haunting you in much bigger scale. Of course, no need to be cynical or personal in criticism.

yes,
if the matter get's out of hand, then it should be taken care of,
unnecessary policing demoralises a person,(ex:topic about merging the body building topics/measurment topics)
atleast for me it has,dont feel like opening any other new thread on that subj.

any member, old or new,should be given certain amount of leeway and freedom.
this isnt an army camp.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 08:52   #38
BHPian

Rightly said AADIX. this is nt a boot camp. A person likes to give any useful information as the way he wants not according to the terms of others. Are any one shelling money for our information??? Well if moderators think they can offend any one because they have the power then I m out of here.

This aint the place I seen a month back, although I didnt get a warning. I strongly suggest to tell members if you change rules in between rather than offending them in any way.

This has to stop! well by the way where is my smiles option?why cant I give a reply on the market place? Strange eh
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 09:11   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
Well if moderators think they can offend any one because they have the power then I m out of here.
Cool! No moderator till date has offended any member unecessarily. If a certain member is screwing up the boards by posting nonsense and crap, he will be definatly taken care of and in the hard way.

Why doesnt everyone think like this, that TeamBHP is their own website, their own forum. The Clean it is...the better. There are proper sections designed with their description which would easily make anyone understand where a certain topic should be posted. Still we see loads of wrong topics posted in wrong forums.

My serious advice would be: Please try to cooperate with the Moderators and other Members so that we all can have a great time.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 09:18   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
well by the way where is my smiles option?why cant I give a reply on the market place? Strange eh
Not strange.

Another perfect example of a member who has obviously not read the FAQs and Announcements section.

cya
R
Old 29th April 2005, 09:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Not strange.

Another perfect example of a member who has obviously not read the FAQs and Announcements section.

cya
R
show a post where I did use smiles improperly?? I dont even know what my fault was? this is what I was talking abt. Any way you a super - M now ban me sir, and give me a reason that I am bad with my posts. Stratos your smile meant a lot to me hehe yes thats the kind of moderators we are looking for..but no I have no way to give you the same hence "smile"
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 09:44   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
show a post where I did use smiles improperly?? I dont even know what my fault was? this is what I was talking abt. Any way you a super - M now ban me sir, and give me a reason that I am bad with my posts. Stratos your smile meant a lot to me hehe yes thats the kind of moderators we are looking for..but no I have no way to give you the same hence "smile"
Hey dude,

You didnt get my point.

In the announcements section -
Why you cant post in the marketplace section.

In the FAQ
How to post using smiles

All the mods are busy with their own lives, im sitting at my workplace @ 1215am right now, so you have to understand that deviations from the rules just make it more difficult for us.
I've seen your posts and i have absolutely nothing against them. Infact i was just telling stratos that you post good stuff.

As for your current attitude in this thread, maybe thats what needs to be changed on TBHP.

As for banning you, no, i dont see the need, but you are free to leave at your own wish, its not like we are forcing people to stay here.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th April 2005 at 09:49.
Old 29th April 2005, 09:49   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

West,

1. Theres no need to get commercials into the picture, but since you have...does anyone shell out money for memberships? This board is financed by us only out of our sheer enthusiasm. Butttttttttttttttttt the real investment is TIME : The entire moderator team is occupied full time (either professionally or yet studying) and the only reason behind our commitment toward the quality and upkeep of this site is the petrol in our veins.

2. Your smilies option is very much there. Click "Go Advanced" on the reply window and you will see a bunch come up.

3. Newbies cannot post in the marketplace or the reviews section. We cannot allow certain members to just come, post their wares and go away.

Have you seen what happened to previous Indian car boards that were poorly moderated? An overwhelming majority of this board commends our efforts in maintaining such a standard of postings, through planning and implementation of the most appropriate rules structure.

Remember one thing...if the moderators enforce rules, they are the first to follow them too.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 09:58   #44
BHPian

Rehaan...fair enough *insert thumbs up smile*
GTO, I can definitely understand why you won't want a new member posting in marketplace but why not on the review or What car segments ?
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2005, 10:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx
Nitroxx,

Use a little common sense, read through the two bodybuilding posts and tell me whether the two topics are the same. The moderators have already discussed about the bodybuilding issue and have concluded that it is best to keep them seperate because the topics are not the same and are completely different.

Like you said, if one uses a bit more common sense and a little tad less of over confidence of knowledge, one should go through the complete thread and then post something with complete knowledge. If one has no knowledge or doesn't know anything about a thread, please do not post useless comments on it. I hope you understood what I meant.

Quote:
members should always make a search of the new topics they want to start a thread of and then post anything if there is no relevant thread already existing. if hte treads already exists then they can post their opinions on the same thread.
Manaa, I already know of the first thread. I intentionally started another thread especially for "Bodybuilding - Your Measurements"[Success]. If you notice, I've been posting in the first "Bodybuilding/weightlifting/fitness" thread. I have spoken to the mods who also think likewise.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote