Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2005, 18:44   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Stratos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, IN
Posts: 2,593
Thanked: 1,210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetik
VW also owns Cosworth
Didnt any American company buy Cosworth lately??
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2005, 14:21   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 179
Thanked: Once
Default

thats great man,very informative indeed
vandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2005, 20:21   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
islero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,574
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Nice post, man, thanks.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2005, 23:49   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 179
Thanked: Once
Default

doesnt ford own lincoln and mercury too?
vandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 01:07   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 324
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Didnt any American company buy Cosworth lately??

dunno abt that pls lemme know if it has, as for Volkswagen- Audi owning Cosworth http://www.cosworth-technology.co.uk...1_history4.htm

Last edited by Kinetik : 25th April 2005 at 01:09.
Kinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 01:51   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan
doesnt ford own lincoln and mercury too?
Lincoln and Mercury are divisions within the Ford motor company, not different companies.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 08:21   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,874
Thanked: 9,644 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetik
dunno abt that pls lemme know if it has, as for Volkswagen- Audi owning Cosworth http://www.cosworth-technology.co.uk...1_history4.htm

The americans bought the racing team. In fact Cosworth under audi did a lot of work in pulling out the BMW engines out of the bentleys, modifying the old 6.7 V8 for emission and performance till the VW W12 took over
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 15:31   #23
BHPian
 
bikefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 277
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

A very useful post indeed.

Was not aware that GM & Suzuki are linked !!
bikefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 17:19   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 324
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
The americans bought the racing team. In fact Cosworth under audi did a lot of work in pulling out the BMW engines out of the bentleys, modifying the old 6.7 V8 for emission and performance till the VW W12 took over

thanks for the info.. do u have a link or something regarding this
Kinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 17:53   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetik
thanks for the info.. do u have a link or something regarding this
Always thought Cosworth was linked to Ford than any other manufacturer. Cosworth did all the WRC jobs for Ford since the 70s/80s, have been involved in Fords sad story in F1 (Jag) and have brought out many special edition Fords (Escort Cosworth, Sierra Cosworth, Granada Cosworth, blab blah)
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 22:15   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,258
Thanked: 23,384 Times
Default

Don't forget, it was Cosworth who built the engine for the ultimate Mercedes Benz 190, the MB190E 2.5-16. Back in the 80s, this car had a 4cyl, 2.5L, 205bhp Cosworth powerplant and did 0-62mph in 7.5secs. Its top speed was 146mph. The EVO II had 235bhp and a top speed of 155mph. It was one of my absolute favourite Mercs. Needless to mention, Cosworth is my favourite performance tuning firm.




Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2005 at 22:18.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 15:12   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Stuttgart, Germany.
Posts: 815
Thanked: 96 Times
Exclamation Who owns who??

Who owns who?



So, you're buying an English car huh? That fancy Jaguar with its birds eye maple... so much nicer than any American car. In fact, no American company can compete with its elegance you say. Well, hold on to your bowler because, as nice as the Jaguar is, it's now a Ford.
The automotive world is a complicated place now and with consolidation hitting everyone it's no surprise that car companies are gobbling up each other faster than ever before.
Now, just because Volvo sold their car division to Ford it doesn't mean you can get a Mustang engine in a S60 sedan. Nor does it mean you can get Ford Focus with an Aston Martin engine. But it does mean these companies with bigger parents have a better chance of surviving long-term because of better financial stability. In fact there's a good chance SAAB wouldn't be making new designs if it weren't for GM and I don't think Volvo would have had the money for their latest 'R' line of cars if Ford hadn't stepped in.
But in soap opera fashion sometimes these companies sell their divisions so quickly that the new parent doesn't even have time to make their own changes. What do we mean? The latest Range Rover (from Land Rover which is owned by Ford) comes with a wonderful BMW engine under the hood. Why? Because BMW bought the Rover group some years ago and sold the Land Rover lineup to Ford. To put it plainly, you'd be buying an English SUV with a German engine from an American company.
Use our chart below to see who owns who.

BMW owns:
-BMW
-Mini
-Rolls Royce

Daimler/Chrysler owns:
-AMC (brand discontinued -- Chrysler bought AMC primarily for the Jeep brand which was owned by AMC)
-Chrysler
-Dodge
-Eagle (brand discontinued)
-Hyundai (Daimler/Chrysler only owns 10%)
-Jeep
-Maybach
-Mercedes-Benz
-Plymouth (brand discontinued)
-Smart

Fiat owns:
-Alfa Romeo
-Ferrari
-Fiat
-Lancia
-Maserati

Ford owns:
-Aston Martin
-Ford
-Jaguar
-Land Rover (bought from BMW)
-Lincoln
-Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
-Mercury
-Volvo cars

Fuji Heavy Industries owns:
-Subaru

General Motors owns:
-Buick
-Cadillac
-Chevrolet
-Daewoo (GM owns 44%)
-Fiat (GM has decided to divorce itself from Fiat as of Feb '05, but will retain 10% ownership.)
-GMC
-Holden
-Hummer
-Isuzu (GM only owns a percentage)
-Oldsmobile (brand discontinued)
-Opel
-Pontiac
-Saab
-Saturn
-Suzuki (2.5%, from 20%)
-Vauxhall

Honda owns:
-Acura
-Honda

Hyundai owns:
-Hyundai
-Kia

Nissan owns:
-Infiniti
-Nissan
-Renault (Nissan owns 15%)

PSA Peugeot Citroen owns:
-Citroen
-Peugeot

Porsche owns:
-Porsche
-VW (20%)

Renault owns:
-Nissan (Renault owns 44%)

Toyota owns:
-Daihatsu (~51%)
-Fuji Heavy Industries -- Subaru (Toyota owns ~20%. Toyota bought this from GM in late 2005. )
-Lexus
-Scion
-Toyota

Volkswagen owns:
-Audi
-Bentley
-Bugatti
-Lamborghini
-SEAT
-Skoda
-Volkswagen


The automotive world is constantly changing so this article is will updated as needed.
Last update: 7 March 2006
Latest changes were: Updated the GM/Fiat details. GM sold most of its Suzuki holding and now retains just 2.5%.

Courtesy : http://carscarscars.blogs.com/index/..._owns_who.html
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 15:40   #28
BHPian
 
satyamenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 110
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Isn't Oldsmobile still being manufactured? I remember driving a fairly new Oldsmobile Alero in the US 2 years ago.
satyamenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 15:41   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
karthik247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR, HYD
Posts: 2,708
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

What abt Ambassador?!
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 15:52   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

BTW Olds has been killed by GM. Too many brands spoil the corporate finances...

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2006 at 23:34.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People whom Enzo insulted. v12 Shifting gears 22 27th May 2009 16:10
For whom the bell tolls Rudra Sen In-Car Entertainment 54 5th June 2006 14:47
For whom the Bridge Tolls??? Steeroid Shifting gears 20 28th March 2006 12:51
Whom do you consider greatest automobile manufacturer? sbasak The International Automotive Scene 34 27th February 2006 13:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks