Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th February 2009, 10:31   #1
BHPian

Default Supreme Court says bandhs are fine !

I just couldn't believe my eyes when I read it this morning.The Supreme Court of all people has declared that bandhs are allowed,they are a democratic right of people.So effectively this has overruled an earlier HC ruling that proclaimed bandhs to be illegal.
Now what hope is there for this Godforsaken country when the highest justice body of the land can be so irresponsible and stupid?I was already cringing in revulsion when I learnt that the PMO,which had earlier said it would divulge all asset details of all ministers,has now done an about face and refused to give out those details.Now I can see al the VHPs,Shiv Senas,MNSs jumping with joy already!I don't think we can ever learn and adopt the US system of a fair and logical legal system with responsible people in charge.Which leads me to conclude that there really is no hope for this country.The justice dept is supposed to be the last resort and if they are so inept,then there really is no hope.
Even the terrorist attacks recently did not create a bandh-like situation in Mumbai, I was at work all those days without any fuss.But now these idiots like all these senas can again hold us hostage anytime they want.
I know this seems like a cynical rant but trust me,nothing has changed in India and nothing ever will.Apart from whose turn it is to jack us all every 4-5 years.

PS-I'm going to stop reading the papers and watching any news channels.

Last edited by maverick030581 : 4th February 2009 at 10:33.
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 10:48   #2
BHPian

It is a joke that CJI was part of this recent ruling. He was a part of the earlier one too. Another citadel of perfection and sobriety has falled with these whimsical decisions. With the ruling party out to kill the Election Commission, nothing would be left now.. sigh !!

Media could have been the saviour but TV Media anchors have turned out to be rabid dogs on the prowl now !!

God Save the Country !!
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 10:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Great! just what politicans here wanted to hear!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 10:56   #4
BHPian

great! now is mamta banerjee and company going to call a bandh to celebrate this ruling!
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 11:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

i think we should have a bandh in kerala just to celebrate that

for those of you who dont know about it already
harthal, Hartal, Bandh, Work stoppage of Kerala and West Bengal crippling the daily life and economy - www.harthal.com !
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 11:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Protest is good for the public.
But, Bandh is usually politically fuelled.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 11:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Protest is good for the public.
But, Bandh is usually politically fuelled.
Make that always.Normal folks usually go on pointless candlelight marches sometimes.They don't call for bandhs.Its only these half-witted morons that do that
Old 4th February 2009, 12:27   #8
BHPian

Bengal im sure is rejoicing !!!
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 12:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Bengal im sure is rejoicing !!!
Same with Kerala. The Engg grads must be rejoicing there
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 13:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

How can the supreme court be so childish to rule out something like this. Doesn't they know how these Bandhs are crippling the country and bringing it to it's knees? At one hand we talk about joining the big league of developed countries and on the other hand we welcome such idiotic rituals which does nothing but to drag the country backwards.
And about rejoicing, add Assam also to the list. Every week there will be atleast one bandh declared by some XYZ organization for causes unknown.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 13:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Isn't Bandh against one's right to earn for his livelihood. How can some organisation or some person ask someone else to stop his daily activity ?
A protest by a individual or collection of individuals on their own is understandable.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 16:08   #12
BHPian

other than kerala and bengal i dont think any other state would be affected with this kind of a declaration by supreme court.kerala is now known as "harthal's own country".
desigNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 16:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
other than kerala and bengal i dont think any other state would be affected with this kind of a declaration by supreme court.kerala is now known as "harthal's own country".
I respectfully disagree mate.Maharashtra and especially Mumbai politicians are rubbing their hands in glee as to when they can mess our lives at the earliest with a bandh.
PS-It ain't a bandh for these folks as they don't do any work,just for normal folks like you and me.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:51   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
I just couldn't believe my eyes when I read it this morning.The Supreme Court of all people has declared that bandhs are allowed,they are a democratic right of people.
I totally agree. The SC is off its rocker to proclaim that a bandh is a fundamental right and is an expression of the freedom of speech. What hogwash !!

A strike can be an expression of ones freedom of speech. But a bandh is akin to an act of terrorism where innocent people are made to suffer. No one in a democracy can be given the right to restrict my free movement and a right to go to work or earn my daily wages just because someone decides to call a bandh. How could the SC allow this? Its outrageous.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 17:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
It is a joke that CJI was part of this recent ruling. He was a part of the earlier one too.
You're right mate,even in the 1997 HC ruling against bandhs CJI Balakrishnan was on the bench and in this latest one as well.That just proves we have nincompoops everywhere,cutting across all departments.Our "government" is nothing short of an abhorrence