Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th July 2009, 08:11   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMASURG View Post
It is just a car, use it, enjoy it and replace it when it is time unless it is some exotic? I dont like garage queens.
I agree entirely, down to the part about exotics - and even there, as I discovered before finally giving up smoking, who is smoking who?
That said, and having lived the experiences from my first bicycle onwards, this has to be the funniest set of comments on the subject. Fully worthy of a full issue coverage by MAD magazine.

And how about this one - it drives you to enrol on sites such as this one, where you compulsively hit the refresh button to see who has replied to your posts.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th July 2009 at 02:01. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 10:57   #152
BHPian

^^ i agree on this one :-)
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 23:55   #153
BHPian

During the weekends, i spend more time cleaning my cars, and my wife says you spend more time with these cars than me, who is more important? i leave it to you guys (married).
andre1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 01:55   #154
Senior - BHPian

Talking

today in car me and my cousin discussing about new altis and Civic and my mom asks.. "how you know all about these cars... you guys always talk some thing or other about car. anyways you wont buy a new car why waste time on this. also every day you say you are busy in office, when you get time for this? "

PS : she doesn't know that,from office multiple times i check team bhp to keep my auto knowledge not only upto date but upto hour
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 01:19   #155
BHPian

Thumbs up

I never ever thought I could tell anyone I mean anyone (Not even T-BHPians, feared being ridiculed) But now after going through the entire thread I can proudly say that I am not alone and I am not mad.

My salute to Mr. Rtech, Sir I am grateful to you & all are Mods + fellow BHPian's.

My old car is a Hyundai Accent 1.5 GLS bought way back in December 2000, This December i.e. in 2009 like the previous years I would celebrate her Birthday!!

And just how do I plan to do that ?? Well thats quite simple, irrespective of the scheduled checkups at the Docter's (Read Hyundai A.S.S.).

I get her a nice OIL + Filter change & a wash & wax session.

The Oil + Filter change + Wash is done at a reputable garage and I buy an extra OE oil filter during the scheduled service before her Birthday.

The Waxing is done by ME in collaboration with Ram-Deen (Our trusted handy-man who is well aware of my love for cars, he willingly removes his belt & rings to avoid accidentally scratching the car).

A additional point from my side:

I have set the sensitivity of the shock sensor of my security system at the Maximum Level.

Which basically means that even if a dog barks near my car she simply calls for help as she's cynophobic, well she's afraid of the dogs paws!!

People fiddling with rear view mirrors, the parking ticket chap, a few jolly smokers who have a tendency to keep one leg bent which ends up touching the bumper, sheet-metal, tires, etc

They all flee from the spot / get away from my lovely lady.

As she is not at all patient and does not like anyone other than ME caressing her. The Moment they even touch her with even the slightest of pressure / roughness / dis-regard she calls out for help which makes these inconsiderate ********* move away !!!!!

To MODS: Sorry for using extra smilies.

Last edited by maglev : 8th October 2009 at 01:24.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 14:35   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
U end up reading ABS in a gym advert as Anti Lock Braking System
That was great

For me it sucks being an enthusiast because - the moment I spot a new car on the road, I have to chase it and take its picture!!! God forbid the day I spot a new car and don't have a camera handy!!
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 17:29   #157
BHPian

i asked one of my friends her birth year "kaunse year ka model ho?"

i cant tell you how pissed off she was...
nitrogary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 15:54   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre1774 View Post
During the weekends, i spend more time cleaning my cars, and my wife says you spend more time with these cars than me, who is more important? i leave it to you guys (married).
This is a tough question to answer, Best way is to confuse your wife. there is a saying " confuse when you can't convince"

If i come across that situation i would loudly say " My car is important to me"
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 16:56   #159
Senior - BHPian

Very true . I thought i was alone with this feeling. I always feel other people take less care of my car and don't view it as an extended persona of me.
Anyways good to know I'm not alone.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 19:01   #160
BHPian

I was riding my bike with a friend as a pillion as it was kind of late in the night there was hardly any traffic and we were talking about general issues regarding work. Suddenly i hit a rough patch on some interlocking tiles at a junction which were unevenly laid. i could not slow down in time and my friend felt the bump. he said that "this bike has become quite uncomfortable and you need to get something new." 10secs after he said that the bike sputterd , jerked and came to a halt. I turned to him and said " See what u did, the bike did not like what u said". He laughed and thought i was joking. I tried kicking it back to life but no result. Then i asked him in a real serious tone to apologise to the bike, he looked at me in amazement . Initally he refused and told me i have lost it. all this while i was trying to start the bike. After some nagging he finally budged and reluctantly said " I am sorry and i will never say this again" to the bike.
little did he know i had flicked the EK switch to off. A minute later
flicked on the EK switch kick started the bike and the engine roared to life. he was quite amazed
Next day in office we narrated the entire incident to our colleagues and then i told him that i had switched off the EK switch. Our colleages burst out into uncontrollable laughter especially the guys who ride to work.

Last edited by Dippy : 8th July 2010 at 23:50. Reason: Deleting extra smiley
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 19:19   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Spot on. Its worse if you drive a cheap hatch because people stare and think you don't know what valet parking is .
Very embarrassing. Very correct.

Especially if it is a Maruti 800/ Alto/Fiat Padmini/ Fiat Uno in a big city such as Bombay. People wrongly equate the size of the car with money and hence with prestige. Very wrong. Very insensitive.

I am adamant about parking the car myself, even though the other passengers might feel I am overdoing it or taking up precious time driving it to the parking slot and then walking back. The problem is in the five star hotels where the parking slots are either in the basements or quite a distance away.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 20:18   #162
BHPian

I don't mind parking my car half km away from my destination and walking back. I hate giving my car at the valet parking cause most of the valet parking drivers hardly care about the car if its a cheaper hatch or a sedan. They are reckless
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 22:50   #163

You don't let anyone eat/drink while in the car. They'll have to wait till you stop. And if your girlfriend gets all senti and starts eating you start screaming at the first crumbs which touch the car.

You can't stand the slightest noise from the car, and HAVE to stop and check what its all about.
BoppanaVarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 23:27   #164
Team-BHP Support

I have a a big calender/poster kind of thing in my room and I've circled the birthdays of the cars that we have. I celebrate it by giving them a shower, driving them around a bit, taking a few photographs and end the day by cutting a cake.

My parents have even tried contacting a counselor.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 23:42   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
Rtech buddy

U r the 1st person i have come across who seconds me in this point

Else ppl think i am hallucinating

same here mate. and the worst part is when i', in someone else's car and do it. they give me such a stare like.. you know. i bet you've got that before.
cant help it. crazy car guy, autoengineer been in service line for 2years as an apprentice its just stuck in your head like breathing
BenedictPentony is offline   Reply With Quote