Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th March 2010, 12:09   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I agree with quite a lot of what you have put here.

I have to scout the area several times before i think of parking the car to ensure no one even gets the emotest chance of touchin it/ scratching it etc

On weekends, I get to waxing my car and all the other beauty treatment thant the guards etc think I am mad. And my wife doesnt understand at times why it takes me around 2 - 3 hours. She always tells me to get the car cleaner to do it.

But then again would a car cleaner understand the level of detail we require. FOr that I would have to hire a guy just for my car alone

Same situation here - from my mom and gf. Problem is my dad set the standard of 10 min washing. Pour couple of buckets of water on the car, and wipe away!
And being steel grey - his M800 just doesn't show the scratches/dents etc. For him, a car is just to get from point A to B.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 12:32   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I got two small dents( around 5cm & 2cm)on my car back-to-back on Monday and Tuesday, one on the rear right door and the other on the dikky door.

I've not been sleeping properly for the past 4days. When I checked with the garage guys, they said both the doors has to be repainted which I wouldn't want do on a 7month old car, also the cost seems to be touching 8k which I couldn't afford at this moment.

I'm in a state of sorrow, whenever I look my baby with these wounds, my heart just pains, and as I type this post it still keeps hurting. Any suggestion guys?
I saw a tele shopping advertisement a few days back. Is was a combo pack of a dent remover (can't remember the name) and scratch remover (again can't remember the name).

They were denting cars using hammers and then removing the dent with this gadget. Similarly, they were scratching cars using sharp object and then removing the scratches using the scratch remover.

I have personally not used the product, just giving a random suggestion. Buy and use at your own risk.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 10:28   #183
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
For instance, my cousin sister asked me to babysit my niece for a few hours.
My niece is around 3 years old, she was pestering me all the time to teach her alphabets which she is just beginning to learn.
To tell the truth, I am sick and tired of A for Apple and B for Ball, so I made up a new chart like this.

A for Awesome Car
B for Beautiful Car
C for Care for your Car
D for Dude wheres my Car?
E for Easy to drive Car
F for Fast Car
G for Great Car
H for Hyper Car
I for Intelligent Car
J for Joyful Car
K for Kit Car
L for Love your Car
M for Modified Car
N for New Car
O for Old Car
P for Performance Car
Q for Quiet Car
R for Race Car
S for Super Car
T for Turbocharged Car
U for Use your Car
V for Vintage Car
W for Wonderful Car
X for Xciting Car (I was unable to find an adjective)
Y for Yellow Car
Z for Zero Emissions Car

When my sis came back and saw this, she was furious with what I was teaching my niece. She also promised me she will never ask me babysit again (well atleast something good came of this).
That the reason why it sucks being an Car Enthusiast, nobody understands us.
Bow down to the Master Teacher! This story is hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
A single strach on say door gives u a night mare if is not removed by Rubbing as complete door needs to be painted.
I'm a die-hard enthusiast, but have also become realistic. If you live in a big city, nicks & scratches are inevitable. They just don't bother me anymore (not as much as before atleast).

Rather, I focus on maintaining my car in pristine mechanical health. How a car drives makes a petrolhead feel better, than how she looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I saw a tele shopping advertisement a few days back. Is was a combo pack of a dent remover (can't remember the name) and scratch remover (again can't remember the name).
Dent King? I caught the cheesy ad on television too.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 22:17   #184
BHPian

you are right RTO. Particularly in Mumbai where you have bumper to bumper traffic and innumerable autos driven by people from all nook and corner of the country, making all sorts of turns at all unexpected places maintaining a car scratchless has become more difficult. I have had three wheelers carrying goods scratch the sides when I am standing still in a signal. I also concentrate in keeping the mechanical part intact than keeping the car scratchless!
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 23:30   #185
Senior - BHPian

I wince every time :
1. Any of the doors are slammed hard. Picture myself slamming that guy's head into the sidewalk with the same force and more.
2. Someone asks me for the vehicle even for a trial run. I refuse very impolitely - much to the chagrin of the wife. And why not - mostly her relatives. Now that's not a bad thing afterall !
3. The GDW (Gaadi Dhone Wallah) tries to remove a spot from the shiny surface using his agrarian techniques. I shout him out of it.
4. I have to take the dear chap for its routine service at the ASC - paws and claws all over the body and the innards opened. They don't care at all - I do, fanatically do. Am with the vehicle throughout on the shop floor !
5. When passengers clamber on board and start pawing the 'within reach' knobs and fittings. Getting them to stay focussed narrow and straight on being just passengers is an art !
6. Someone asks me as to when I plan to sell the...I mutter and curse under my breath.
7. A lift is asked for - I like driving alone with the vehicle, listening to the growl of the engine and keeping an ear out for any untoward sounds, and well, trying to communicate with the vehicle. Only exception are the lady and the offspring on long vacation drives and they are sworn to silence during the drives with communication to bare minimum. Each doing their thing with the i-pod or books or whatever. And I'm busy listening to the engine and tubro whine for hours on end !
8. When I can't spend close to 3 hours every Sunday with the joy of my life.
9. When I hear the news of the official requirement to travel out of town and be away for more than a day. Can't bear to be away without driving for even a day. First reaction is to see if I can organise a con call or video conferencing or send someone else to avoid the travel.
10. Each time the vehicle goes violently into a pothole or up a bump - I curse myself audibly and pat the 'A' pillar to reassure my partner with wheels. Another reason to be driving alone.
11. Each time I have a nightmare regarding Guderian. Common ones are vehicle stolen, flat tyres, smash ups. Unbelievable - but this has been regularly happening to me and the next day I am super, double, extra careful !
12. When anyone calls Guderian a vehicle !

Madness ? Yes !!!

Last edited by Guderian : 6th March 2010 at 23:32.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 15:36   #186
BHPian

1. Wait till the tank gets almost empty for re-fuelling, to calculate accurate mileage every time. Sometimes you get stuck in the oil employees strike!

2. Family gets annoyed because you can't wake up early to go to church, but can wake up at 6:00 A.M without an alarm clock to fill petrol because 'some jerk told you that petrol is dense when cold'.

3. You have developed a whole new training course for shutting the door without touching the paint, but nobody is interested.
jinojohnt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 16:19   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm a die-hard enthusiast, but have also become realistic. If you live in a big city, nicks & scratches are inevitable. They just don't bother me anymore (not as much as before atleast).

Rather, I focus on maintaining my car in pristine mechanical health. How a car drives makes a petrolhead feel better, than how she looks.
I totally agree sometimes it becomes really difficult to safegaurd vehicle from strach.

But since I stay in a place where population is not much so I try to safeguard the most precious vehicle out of my lot from scraches as well.(Not Taking the vehicle in a crowded place etc)

But Yes I agree that it's difficult.
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 17:09   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
I totally agree sometimes it becomes really difficult to safegaurd vehicle from strach.

But since I stay in a place where population is not much so I try to safeguard the most precious vehicle out of my lot from scraches as well.(Not Taking the vehicle in a crowded place etc)

But Yes I agree that it's difficult.
You are right. In a city if you jostle for space or assume everyone to go by the book (read traffic rules), you are wrong. I tried these 2 things during the first 3 months of my new car . Result - numerous scratches and dents. But now I make way for everyone who honks or flashes his lights or barges in cutting lanes, because 90% of the time its someone who would give a damn about scratching his own car's paint, leave alone mine. For the last 3 months, my car (touch wood) have gone scratch free. Just ease up a bit, and let the junkyard jostlers trade paint among themselves.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 17:53   #189
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
You are right. In a city if you jostle for space or assume everyone to go by the book (read traffic rules), you are wrong. I tried these 2 things during the first 3 months of my new car . Result - numerous scratches and dents. But now I make way for everyone who honks or flashes his lights or barges in cutting lanes, because 90% of the time its someone who would give a damn about scratching his own car's paint, leave alone mine. For the last 3 months, my car (touch wood) have gone scratch free. Just ease up a bit, and let the junkyard jostlers trade paint among themselves.
Same thing I also follow.
But one thing I do make sure it to do give those who try and honk too much, is give them the flood light treatment.
Have 90/100(or watever it's called) bulbs on the headlights on my santro along with foglights focused to do just that(make life miserable for those who don't have the manners of the road). Serves them right IMO.
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:58   #190
BHPian

People adjusting your rear view mirrors to look at themselves
or
People sliding or adjusting the push back on the driver's seat:
Thereby ruining the perfect setting you have arrived after lots of trail and error.

Telling the petrol bunk guy not to stop at 999.98, but round it off (even though he can't).

Always in search of the perfect Guage, trying to get the right tyre pressure.

Washing your car/bike for the better part of the day and it starts to rain.

When someone nicks/cuts your steed's seat/seat cover.

When people turn on headlights before starting the car.

People Using the starter again (especially if your car is the silent engine type)
Or when they start before the heater coil's light goes off (on diesel cars)

People Change gears without pressing the clutch fully.

Or open Centrally locked doors manually.

Worst of all, when someone parks close to your car and his door touches your car while he tries to squiggle out in the narrow place. You feel like running over his car with a big foot!

The list could go on!
KA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 19:55   #191
BHPian

What sucks?
Well, it happened to me yesterday. I got my car washed in a service station and on the way home- yes- it rained. That sure sucks. The kind of traffic we have in Bangalore, we don’t have to look far to find what sucks. The traffic sucks. Have you picked up anyone from the airport recently? Well, try that! That sucks too. It took me three hours to reach the airport and three hours to come back and the plane was thirty minutes late to make things worse. Were you ever stuck in traffic for more than an hour, because the police stopped all traffic to let the politicians pass? That, in my opinion, sucks big.
I wish someone came up with a thingamajig to measure how much something sucks! Then we’ll know how much it sucks when you find an odd design scratched on your otherwise perfect car or you find your side mirror turned all the way up to maybe comb someone’s hair?
Well, friends, I better stop. With this subject, we can go on and on and on.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 22:03   #192
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2010 at 14:21.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 13:52   #193
BHPian

It sucks being car enthusiasts when we realise that:

Our family hasn't had a Heath Check-up for years but the CAR goes to the Service Station every six months without fail.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 30th June 2010 at 14:02.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 20:23   #194
Team-BHP Support

It sucks being an enthusiasts who's in his early 20s because you know that when you can finally afford your dream car 10-15 years (or more) down the line, you might have to run it on cabbage or cauliflower or something similar!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:06   #195
BHPian

It sucks having bought your dream car and then had to drive through the jumbo sized potholed roads scrapping the underbelly of the car. This is the case in God's own Country!!

Last edited by MilesAndSmiles : 3rd July 2010 at 23:08.
MilesAndSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote