Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd September 2010, 14:19   #211
Senior - BHPian

I park my car under a tree which for some reason is very generous to crows. So, every day crows drop poop on the car even more generously. I got so fed up cleaning their dropping after a month, every time I saw a crow sitting on the tree, I shouted, clapped, made loud noised to shoo it off! I continued this for about a week or two; and guess the crows themselves realized they were not welcome!
So, now.. I am called the "scarecrow"!!

my flatmates get particularly astonished when :

- I refuse everyone when they ask if they can drive
- in the rare case where I let them drive, I ensure the rpm does not go beyond 3.5; the speed is within 80km/hr
- I don't let them fiddle around with the seat adjustment lever too much
- anyone who has attained nirvana and is considerably "high" are not allowed in the car
- no eatables to be kept on the dashboard.

I am indeed obsessed with my cars; and frankly I don't mind it!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 16:25   #212
BHPian

Since i have a premier padmini 1100, my friends come up and ask me for the car to learn driving in it... God knows how i walked from shop to shop to collect a small petrol tank cap !!!

And if i even scratch my head giving an image of "thinking twice" they give this stern look as if i have committed a murder. They say "old car only na" !!!

What a paradox !!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd November 2010 at 14:02.
Rubbertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 07:52   #213
BHPian

Default Re: It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....

all the things apart-how can one handle his own father's reckless driving..

whenever i sit next to my dad and the car keeps crying for a higher gear(running at 60 in 2nd gear!)..it HURTS MAN!

i am stuck between morality and my love.
drjumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 08:03   #214
BHPian

Default Re: It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....

MISSION-"SAVING MY CAR FROM MY DAD WITHOUT HURTING HIM OR HER!

1.I RUN AHEAD OF HIM EVERY MORNING TO WARM UP THE CAR because he doesn't even let the rpm settle down even for 30 seconds

2.trying to drive myself even when my body is aching or tired and he keeps asking if i am tired.

3.going to his workplace at duty hours and taking the car away using spare keys just to get her wheels alligned

4.someone broke the side ovrm and he says dont replace it because someone might break it again!!!-god when would he understand!!

5.he broke my run in period committments by pushing my new k10 till 6000 rpm in 1st gear when i never crossed 2000

6.not letting me wash my car daily saying its a waste of time-"SON!WHY DON'T YOU PREPARE FOR YOUR PG ENTRANCE??"
Old 14th February 2011, 09:18   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
To add one-

Employees take a break for smoke in the car parking area. While discussing they lean their body on the car and will rest one of their folded legs into the bumber or on the doors of the cars ( I found that most of the guys who do like this does not own cars).

It is difficult to tell them not to do so. The better thing is to leave that place instead of breaking our heads till he moves away from that place.
there is a easier way-just go to your car get in-most of them move away..if not then crank it up-definitely it makes all go off and worst case scenario-DRIVE AWAY!!
Old 16th February 2011, 13:57   #216
BHPian

• You see people take a bucket of water and wash the car with a dirty peice of cloth on a car that has a nice fat layer of dust
  • People who have their vehicles emitting all sorts of rickety noices which shows that they just dont care
  • Husband , wife and four kids testing the pulling capacity of a poor old TVS. I dont have the picture else would have posted it
  • Who run their vehicles on bald tyres thereby shortening their own life span
  • to see somebody elese's car scraped / damaged
prats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:42   #217
Senior - BHPian

1 - i hate it when someone fiddles around with the ICE remote and leaves it somewhere and not at the place from where its taken
2 - People eating inside the car and drinking inside the car.
3 - Keeping anything on the dash invites a loud shout from me
4 - Door Slamming - I need to remind everyone that its not a taxi
5 - Mall Attendants for just slamming the boot / bonnet after checking
6 - People who dont know how to drive advising you while you are driving

These are my pain areas.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 19:32   #218
BHPian

I have started getting more and more irritated by:

1. Attendants at fuel bunks > Seems it is their birthright to lean on the car they refuel. Same with the guy at the air station: looks like it is not possible to fill air in the tyres without placing a palm on the car's body for support

2. Parking lot security guards > Why can't they see that there is a recess in the hatch to use to slam the hatch shut? Why do they have to touch the paintwork (causing fingerprints which I'd have to clean a minute later)? My real problem is that even if I wipe clean the hatch section, it starts looking cleaner that the other panels and I have to clean the whole car.

3. People (colleagues, friends, mechanics...) who soil carpets: Can't they see that there is a rubber mat on the floor of my car? Do they really have to explore the area outside the mats with their feet?

4. People who can't seem to mind the rubber door beading, causing scuffs while entering and leaving the car

End of rant...

On another note, I have crafted a policy on lending my car: I won't lend my car to anyone (even my lifelong friends), but would be happy to chauffer them to Timbuctoo if needed.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 08:55   #219
BHPian

I hate:

. when people slam doors like they enjoy it or something.
. when my relatives or friends treat my car like a lorry with all their sharp edged luggage.
. when my father runs over potholes like it was an SUV.
. when he or mechs revvs the engine for no purpose.
. when mechanics scratch and dent the body and hit every stuck part with a big hammer.
. when people put their kids with metal chains or jewel's on the car scratching it
. when people open their doors and hit my car and doesnt even care.
. Pump attendants who spill petrol and put the sharp end of the cap on the roof.
ok I will stop now.
knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 09:57   #220
Senior - BHPian

^Agree with most of the points here!!

With me its like 1000 times amplified!

I keep my car detailed all the time and anyone touching the paint knowingly or unknowingly demands a loud scold from me!

After all I spent countless hours, polishing the paint to perfection, and then I'm taking every possible step to ensure that the finish I achieved is preserved as it is by sealing, waxing etc. but again,

- Petrol bunk attendants placing their hands on rear quarterpanel. First time I noticed this, the next time when he was about to put his hand there, I put a microfiber towel there! And he kinda got the message!

-At mall checking where they check the boot. After he closed the hatch, I knew his hands were oily and might have scratched that area too. I got down then and there, got my qd and microfiber towel out > cleaned that area while kept the others waiting and showed him what he'd done! > naturally, he had a puzzled expression on his face!

-Ppl walking by when seeing shiny paint tend to touch it, I have no clue in hell, why!! If I'm in my car at that time and I spot any hand approaching the paint, I just zoom off!

When will they understand!! Its my freakin property and no-one other than me should touch it!!

I'd love to see how'd they react to, after touching a sun scorched black painted car!!

Last edited by sohail99 : 5th April 2011 at 10:01.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 22:17   #221
BHPian

Most enthusiasts buy a car / bike after a lot of reasoning, test-driving, putting countless hours on Team-BHP, using all possible comparison tools and finally make the choice. And for many of us, its a heart-over-head decision. You might end up buying something which the vast majority won't.

It really really hurts when a bunch of people with no knowledge of automobiles all get together and ridicule your decision because 3/4 of you group has bought the 'popular choice' while you ended up with the 'odd one'!

I bought a 2 stroke when the entire world was buying Hero Honda churned out 4 strokes. I bought a Unicorn when the vast majority bought the Pulsar (of course many of them have been junked while my Uni continues to performs gloriously; no offence to Pulsar owners). Both times, my 'automotive intellect' was questioned and that's what sucks most!

In a short while, I would be buying my first 4 wheeler and I am pretty sure, I have to confront such questions and ill-informed judgments all over again!

Even worse: a friend asks you for car advice, you come out with a long list of reasoned explanations and justifications and suggest a car. The friend does not even bother replying beyond a cursory 'Thanks' (with a smiley). It does not end there; he / she goes on to buy some other car and then tries to justify back to you that because some uncle's-neighbour's-son's friend in office bought it, he too bought it! Aaarrrrgh!!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 01:50   #222
BHPian

+1 gazillion to that. When I bought the Hunk, my friends were like hey this is not a good FE bike, the plastic parts will start rattling and stuff. Hell, I bought the bike it is my bloody decision!

When I shortlisted the Vista everyone was like, Tata!!! (OMG) Petrol TATA!!! OMG OMG, you deserve to be in the mental hospital. They were like the swift is better than this, I asked why? Because everyone and their uncle buys it! I dont know what to say. Smile and walk away.

I stay up at night to polish/ wax the car. Well, it does not look like a million bucks but well for me she does. I hate it when people call me cheapo because I wash and detail the car myself. They are more than happy to entrust their cars to the society cleaners who use the same bucket of water for all cars with the most brown white vest I have seen. Last week one of the kids in my society put down a nice long scratch with his finger on my right rear door. Luckily, just the wax layer was damaged. I questioned him he was like I was checking, his mom comes and gives me an earful for scolding that little idiot. What to say?

The other day had been to Mum for dropping off my best friend to the airport. I was tired (shift - 2 hours sleep - drive to friend - 1 hour nap- drive to mum). On the return journey one of my other friends took the wheel. He was ripping my poor little car (4000 rpm shifts! ) When I objected to it the guys were like hey it is just a car and this guy has more experience of driving. By the time we hit Panvel, I got this guy well fed with a large glass of lassi to wash it down. He felt sleepy and I nursed my car back to Pune.

We love our rides, why cant people just appreciate that simple fact?

Last edited by torquecurve : 7th June 2011 at 01:52.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 03:14   #223
BHPian

I had to answer every TOM , DICK and HARRY when i bought our NANO.

Nano will catch fire
You cannot drive it on Highways
It will topple
Its made of plastic ( They meant fibreglass i guess ).
Car will not climb inclines
Does AC cool properly?
Rear seat will get hot when the car is running
You should have bought a second hand M800
How can you pay 2 lakhs for a nano, it was supposed to cost only 1 lakh.

Sell your padmini if you bought a nano
How will you maintain 2 petrol cars, one being a 19 year old padmini?
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 10:22   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
-At mall checking where they check the boot. After he closed the hatch, I knew his hands were oily and might have scratched that area too. I got down then and there, got my qd and microfiber towel out > cleaned that area while kept the others waiting and showed him what he'd done! > naturally, he had a puzzled expression on his face!
With all due respect to your view, Isn't this a bit extreme? I agree its your car and you love it and I agree with all the other points of your post. But at the end of the day you have to draw a line somewhere and start accepting that its JUST a car. Stopping in a queue at the mall and making others wait for long for this issue sounds a bit funny to me.

ps: The idea is not to ridicule you in any way
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 10:35   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
With all due respect to your view, Isn't this a bit extreme? I agree its your car and you love it and I agree with all the other points of your post. But at the end of the day you have to draw a line somewhere and start accepting that its JUST a car. Stopping in a queue at the mall and making others wait for long for this issue sounds a bit funny to me.

ps: The idea is not to ridicule you in any way

I agree! (I just wanted to teach him a lesson. There's a plastic area behind the hatch door specifically for this purpose! Paintwork on a car is never to be touched with barehands, with the exception of doorhandles and while opening hood and that too, carefully. I use gloves and microfiber towels if I absolutely need to touch the paint)

To ppl it looks like 'just any other car'. But I paid for it and to be honest, I love her more than anything!!

I totally respect your point of view and have faced such questions before!

I paid for the factory paintjob that cannot be replicated in case it is scratched too deep. Scratch removers too have a limited paint to work with.

I always wonder why people treat their car as if its just a slave. They spent their hard earned money on it to leave it lying around and not caring for it because its 'just a car'!!? I just don't get it!

Last edited by sohail99 : 7th June 2011 at 10:44.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote