Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 28th September 2011, 23:12   #241
BHPian

Default Re: It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
I guess there will be a day when people would learn and understand the concept of Lane Driving.
Lane discipline is at its minimum in India. Oncoming vehicles would attempt to overtake from your side of the road despite noticing the lack of distance and would stop right in front of you. Vehicles attempting to overtake you pull up right next to you and force you into the divider It's almost as though they stood in a queue for licenses and got them without having any etiquette or skills. While driving should not be the privilege of a select few (Ratan Tata's vision), licenses should not be handed out to just about anybody - people who disregard traffic rules, people who lack awareness of rules, and people who can't assess the road-worthiness of their vehicles.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 23:03   #242
BHPian

Default Re: It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
*Hear sounds which no one else can hear.
This happens almost after every service of my bike. You need to look the face of the SA when i try to explain him there is a slight jarring of the speedometer console between 3500-4000 rpm
knaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 00:53   #243

when i made up my mind to buy a BMW when I was in US, i went for a manual just so that I could turn down anyone who wanted to take it for a spin (since most people there wouldnt know to drive a manual)
OffDaBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 09:11   #244
BHPian

3 hours cleaning engine bay and all the nooks and crannies - 2 minutes out on the road all gone - priceless.

Engine oil changes @ 6k rated for at least 8 k elsewhere - all due to the "severe service" traffic jams , stop and go and dust.

2 hours cleaning the car with WD 40 to remove tar and bird donations - 2 hours out to shipra mall - dont have the heart to look at the car.

What can I say I love my car my car loves me but the environment hates us both.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 11:32   #245
Senior - BHPian

I have had fights with my family members & good friends for slamming the door harder than I am comfortable with. Friends call me arrogant.

Guys in my society give me a weird look when I spend more than an hour cleaning my car every Sunday. They secretly laugh when I take out the shampoo, MF cloth & tyre dressing products. Neighbours ask me why I take the pain when the regular cleaner does that job on weekdays? they wont understand.

I have got many rude/angry stares & silent abuses when I stop people from leaning on to my car & I get mad when they rest their foot on my car's tyres!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 11:14   #246
BHPian

I once sat in a friend's car. No sooner had we driven a kilometre, I asked him to lower the music system and told him that there was a problem with the axles/ brushes and that he should also get the wheel bearings checked. The friend (a mechanical engineer) gave me a stare and said- "Machine hai, hota hai!" . I was speechless.
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:53   #247
BHPian

It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike when you do not rely on anyone else's handling of your car or bike and end up driving 15 hours straight without rest and have three days of agonising leg and lower back pain :P
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 21:33   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have had fights with my family members & good friends for slamming the door harder than I am comfortable with. Friends call me arrogant.

Guys in my society give me a weird look when I spend more than an hour cleaning my car every Sunday. They secretly laugh when I take out the shampoo, MF cloth & tyre dressing products. Neighbours ask me why I take the pain when the regular cleaner does that job on weekdays? they wont understand.

I have got many rude/angry stares & silent abuses when I stop people from leaning on to my car & I get mad when they rest their foot on my car's tyres!
People would never understand the love one has to their car. I have repeatedly asked persons not to sit on any two wheeler which has been put on center stand since it weakens the stand. Also people using the side view mirror for combing their hair is another irritant. They would never care to keep the mirror to its original position also.
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:30   #249
BHPian

I have had fights with friend who regularly downshift unnecessarily to 3rd gear when 4th would have been fine.

Door slamming in other's car seems to be a worldwide phenomena (in India?) :-0
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 23:07   #250
BHPian

Slamming the doors hard & another thing really irritates me is when someone sitting on the rear seat, grabs the front seat to pull himself towards the front. Two of my friends have this weird habit & I sometimes feel the the backrest of one of the front seats will tear off courtesy them.
sinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:57   #251

It sucks...when I spend 2.5 hours shampooing and cleaning my car, only to have the kids in my apartment building play hide and seek around it, leaving dirty fingerprints all over the body. (But then again, 'kids will be kids,' I guess...)

Cheers,
M_83
Maelstrom_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 01:03   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom_83 View Post
It sucks...when I spend 2.5 hours shampooing and cleaning my car, only to have the kids in my apartment building play hide and seek around it, leaving dirty fingerprints all over the body. (But then again, 'kids will be kids,' I guess...)

Cheers,
M_83
Tell you about kids, I used to hate when kids played with a Dirty football around my car and I would have those muddy patches on my car. I hated it so much that I was ready to kill those kids. But then kids will be kids.
garry.brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 12:19   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Tell you about kids, I used to hate when kids played with a Dirty football around my car and I would have those muddy patches on my car. I hated it so much that I was ready to kill those kids. But then kids will be kids.
Last year had bought a new car. The car was decorated with ribbons and flowers. When i had parked my car in my apartment, there were kids playing there, it was all gone in the morning. Kids..i believe. This year again bought a new car. saw some kids playing around my new car again trying to get on top of my bonnet with shoes ON. When i scolded them, they simply said " u can clean your car tomorrow again". I have neighbours who make a mockery of me because i clean both my cars upto 2 hours on a weekend. Even the neighbour taunts me by saying that sirjee..u should open your own car/bike cleaning centre.

BTW, here is a snap of my car after being driven for 400 odd kms.
Attached Thumbnails
It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....-dsc03224.jpg  

su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 15:25   #254
Senior - BHPian

It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz you are still dusting the car in hot afternoon with Jopasu and trying to somehow cover it alone after returning from a trip, while other fellow passengers( who got down) are already chilling in the Ac at home.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 15:36   #255
BHPian

It sucks being a car enthusiast, because you spend time explaining why safety features like ABS are important to friends and relatives hunting for new car.
It is sad to get the response - "India me in sab cheezon ki jarurat nahi hai".
acroback is offline   Reply With Quote