Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd January 2012, 22:06   #256
BHPian

Default Re: It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....

The other day we went for some vegetables purchase and I parked my car and sat inside. Ladies who were going nearby were scratching with their bangles while going by the side of the car. Though it is unintentional, I drove the car straight back home and started polishing at 9 pm in the night. My car is a 18 year old Premier Padmini!
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:26   #257
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....

Two weeks back on a Sunday, there was a marriage in the family. I had chauffeured my family to the wedding mahal and as i could not find a place to park the car, i skipped the wedding and went to a Ford Showroom to look at the New Fiesta. My family gave me a call when the wedding was over and went back to the mahal to pick them.

It is really a curse to love the car more than family members.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 23:42   #258

There is no place for parking in Bangalore!

... another damage I had to sustain and this time it was to my bike. To avoid the traffic congestion and parking problems in Bangalore I took out my bike instead of my car on Saturday afternoon to a place in Indiranagar. I some how managed to get some parking space at the Sri Krishna Temple road.

But when I returned to leave, I saw that my bike had suffered a damage - broken tail lamp, broken rear view mirror, broken helmet lock and helmet visor, dent on the exhaust. Someone must have accidentally tripped on it and my bike must have fallen down. Now where can I find a safe place to park. Either it is towed away or damaged.
rohitkadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 10:30   #259
BHPian

Except for a Laura petrol, which would be considered average to slow by international standards, there are just no enthusiast cars within the reach of the middle class. Come to think of it, the Laura petrol probably isn't in the reach of the middle class in Bangalore any more.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 11:58   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Except for a Laura petrol, which would be considered average to slow by international standards, there are just no enthusiast cars within the reach of the middle class. Come to think of it, the Laura petrol probably isn't in the reach of the middle class in Bangalore any more.
There is an excellent thread running about this topic.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...es-less-5.html (ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less)
adityasiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:14   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Even if you have a Laura petrol it is sickening when you floor the pedal and find a taxi (most likely Indica) on the first lane blocking your path or crazy bikers refusing to give way.

Now i drive the Octavia tpi (so i should know), but wish it came with a German autobahn and no desi drivers.
I have driven on the autobahn, but it was a silly Nissan Note and i drive on pune roads, but then its my Octavia so its the worst of both worlds

Last edited by rxpaul : 29th November 2012 at 14:15.
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 16:40   #262
BHPian

What about when people get into the car with really dirty shoes? That really annoys me but then again I have OCD.

Also when people start messing with my stereo!!
veedub89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 17:39   #263
BHPian

At present the roads in my city are in pathetic condition and few passengers have yelled at me because according to them i slow down too much to overcome a pothole!

Even after getting the jopasu duster, I use it sparingly fearing swirl marks!

I keep extra mats @ front and rear foot wells and people always mention that its not required!

My niece once told that I should marry a car rather than a girl!

My heart aches to see kids rubbing their foot wear on the seat backs and the dash board!

As ladies always look/desire to buy jewellery, I always look out for car care products and accessories!

Recently some kids were bursting crackers @ a public place very close to the car and a splinter from the cracker hit the front left window glass and it cracked! I cooled down my hands on a suspect and after the rage died, I felt like crying and a lump in my throat and felt extremely sorry for the car!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 20:02   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok
At present the roads in my city are in pathetic condition and few passengers have yelled at me because according to them i slow down too much to overcome a pothole!
Don't be bothered by what others say friend. Its your car. If some damage happens by not slowing down, then its your money too thats going to go. So drive in your comfort zone no matter what others tell you.

Quote:
Even after getting the jopasu duster, I use it sparingly fearing swirl marks!
Got my jopasu today and it works like magic. Never use it on long settled dust however.

Quote:
I keep extra mats @ front and rear foot wells and people always mention that its not required!
Get the 3d kagu or star mats. All headaches of having to clean again and again are gone. Just vaccum once a week and if travelled in bad weather and muddy areas, vaccum the next day and clean with a brush.

Quote:
My niece once told that I should marry a car rather than a girl!
Lol: Ive heard that too many times from so many people.

Quote:
My heart aches to see kids rubbing their foot wear on the seat backs and the dash board!
Always clean the upholstery and protect it with a interior dresser. That way the dirt and grime of the footwear can be easily removed. It is sad to see others damage what you spend time taking care of.

Quote:
As ladies always look/desire to buy jewellery, I always look out for car care products and accessories!
Tbhp golden rule - the number of accesories for your wife should always be +1 or more than the number of accesories for the car.

Quote:
Recently some kids were bursting crackers @ a public place very close to the car and a splinter from the cracker hit the front left window glass and it cracked! I cooled down my hands on a suspect and after the rage died, I felt like crying and a lump in my throat and felt extremely sorry for the car!
A previous neighbor had his son scratch my bonnet and dented the rear panel with his bike's handle as I had made him come down his apartment at 9pm to park his car properly so that I could get my car to its slot after a tiring day. This continued for many times and worst of all he kept doing it again and again no matter what time of day. Now he is gone to some other locality. Thank god for that
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 20:24   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Got my jopasu today and it works like magic. Never use it on long settled dust however.
Yes, it works fine and I use it to wipe the car when its less dusty. I water wash to tackle good amount of dust and grime.

Quote:
Get the 3d kagu or star mats. All headaches of having to clean again and again are gone. Just vaccum once a week and if travelled in bad weather and muddy areas, vaccum the next day and clean with a brush.
I have a portable vacuum cleaner and it works like a charm. I find the kagu mats quite expensive! I guess Star mats also come in similar style and costs a bit less.

Quote:
Lol: Ive heard that too many times from so many people.

Quote:
Always clean the upholstery and protect it with a interior dresser. That way the dirt and grime of the footwear can be easily removed. It is sad to see others damage what you spend time taking care of.
Earlier I used waxpol dashboard polish. It worked well but the surface became too shiny for my liking. Now I am using Armor All Original Protectant and the results are quite satisfactory.

Quote:
Tbhp golden rule - the number of accesories for your wife should always be +1 or more than the number of accesories for the car.
For that rule, I would have to wait till I get married

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 29th November 2012 at 20:26.
Old 29th November 2012, 20:33   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok

Yes, it works fine and I use it to wipe the car, when its little bit dusty. I water wash to tackle good amount of dust and grime.
2 bucket method works well for me. Ive taught my guard the way to clean the car and he was quite happy everytime Id get some accesory or the other. In fact he had been waiting for jopasu duster as it would reduce the headache of having to hand clean the car everyday. Jopasu removed all the dirt within 5 minutes.

Quote:
I have a portable vacuum cleaner and it works like a charm. I find the kagu mats quite expensive! I guess Star mats also come in similar style and costs a bit less.
Are you using a 12v socket vaccum cleaner? Which company is it? And price

Star mats are half the price of 3d kagu. Get them from Sai Mag wheels if you want.

Quote:
Earlier I used waxpol dashboard polish. It worked well but the surface became too shiny for my liking. Now I am using Armor All Original Protectant and the results are quite satisfactory.
Hmm should try out this Armor all stuff someday. Had got 3m all in one shiner for my orange monster and it gives a nice matt finish on the plastics and vinyls and also can be used on tyres and the engine compartment. However i use it only for the dash and other plastics on the car. The bottle is lasting me for quite sometime as Im using sparingly. And its just 100 bucks or so.

Regards.
Old 29th November 2012, 21:15   #267
BHPian

It sucks being an enthusiast about cars because

1. You hate it when random people stand beside your car, or any other exotic car resting their bum on the car to get their photo clicked. I feel like smashing their head on the bonnet

2. People smoke in your car even after politely asking not to. I can't even stand a person sitting in my car who has just finished his cigarette, their breath makes it claustrophobic inside

3. People eat and spill around food and then you have to fish out stuff from between the seat leather. I have had numerous fights with my family to not eat when the car is in motion and wait till we stop on the highways. Strangely when in a car, the appetite just shoots through the roof

4. Passengers not keeping bottles and other things in the door pockets. They keep rattling around and make noise, damn irritating

5. When people at the back refuse to put on seat belts. I have parked and switched off the engine, refused to drive till they wear the belt

6. When people say "It's just a stupid car". It really hurts, deep down inside, it really hurts
dgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 23:11   #268
BHPian

Quote:

Are you using a 12v socket vaccum cleaner? Which company is it? And price
Its an electric vacuum cleaner. 12v ones are of no use. Posting a pic (google search) to give you an idea of its size and attachments. Its not of a renowned brand but it works 50% better than a similar sized Eureka Forbes machine which I used for a while. I also use it to clean the Sound insulation mat beneath the bonnet, which gathers a lot of dust with time No idea of its price, since it was gifted. I guess it should not be more than 1600-1800 Rs
Attached Images

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 29th November 2012 at 23:14.
Old 29th November 2012, 23:42   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgupta View Post

3. People eat and spill around food and then you have to fish out stuff from between the seat leather. I have had numerous fights with my family to not eat when the car is in motion and wait till we stop on the highways. Strangely when in a car, the appetite just shoots through the roof
6. When people say "It's just a stupid car". It really hurts, deep down inside, it really hurts
My post may be contrary to the theme of the thread, but seriously, it is really just a car. I buy a car so I and my family can "use" it, not baby it. I would rather give up a car (or it' cleanliness) than keep friends or family hungry. Now somebody regularly spilling drinks, that's different. You just need to get stuff that's manageable in car.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 00:02   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Its an electric vacuum cleaner. 12v ones are of no use. Posting a pic (google search) to give you an idea of its size and attachments. Its not of a renowned brand but it works 50% better than a similar sized Eureka Forbes machine which I used for a while.
I just realised we both are having Figos. Even my sound insulation mat gathers a lot of dust. The service centre guys cleaned it with pressure wash last time. Do you think it affects the material?

I may very well need that sort of vaccum cleaner but not right now. Eureka forbes has lost it quality long time back. I have their first generation vaccum XL iirc. That was good and runs till this day as its not used very frequently. Used to wash the car with its reversal nozzle and bottle. Those were the days.