Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd April 2007, 14:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Some guys, got off the bus and came to the car, the started taking all sorts of funny pictures with the car, leaning against it, kissing it..and all this when we were sitting inside.. It got embarrasing and I really felt like whacking off those idiots..
Shirvz, they were car lovers like we are man but
Quote:
one almost sat on the bonnet, there were 5 ppl leaning on the car and taking pics
This is not done man....maybe you should have atleast asked them to be careful.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 14:59   #92
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
It sucks!

It sucks being an enthusiast and caring about your car & bike because:
It takes forever to find a parking spot to your liking
And when you do find one, your car gets towed! I had this experience when I recently took a bunch of kids to Matunga Gymkhana to play some cricket. There was no parking spot on that road, except for one about 15-20 feet in front of the bus stop. The kids yelled, "we can park there, uncle" and I yielded after some hesitation. Result: at about 6-30 PM, I notice that the car is missing. I rushed to the spot in Matunga where the car was kept; I had to pay a fine of Rs. 300 and got the car. There was no damage, but the sadness I felt at what they did to my car is unspeakable; especially after all the loving care that I take to avoid damage to my car. I really felt like pulling out a m/c gun and shooting dead these cops, plus blow up their towing vehicles. The distance that you have to park away from a bus stop is a pure judgement call because there are no precise markings on the road that separates the legal area from the illegal.

Another point I want to make is: don't make a big public show of your love for your car, especially when it is parked on the road. There are many characters on the street who resent this and would deliberately make your life miserable by scratching up your car, etc. I inspect my car tyres and fill up air through my compressor only when I am in a private area (usually in my apartment parking lot), to avoid attracting unwanted attention.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 16:51   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-find a parking space which was "Just Right"
And the parking has to be Just Right !
Quote:
- wincing in agony whenever some one drives past you with their car knocking in high gear pleading to be down shifted

- slamming the doors shut
Torturous moments, those.

Quote:
Or are totally oblivious to the existence of any gear after 3rd.
GTO, that was a good one ..

When on those long drives, Hate people spilling food and drink on the seats, so much that I insist on a seat-spread to be used through out the trip. And if it comes to having to let some one else drive, I take the bad stretches, and also make sure that they are gentle with my baby ..

Feels gooood to know that one is not alone. It sure sucks If I am an enthusiast who cares about my car & bike. Not to me, it sucks for others.

Last edited by condor : 3rd April 2007 at 17:04.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 17:37   #94
BHPian

I know this thread is started for people like me. Everything you guys have discussed is about me. I fear when someone is about to close the doors, i fear when someone steps into the vehicle bruising on the rubber beadings on doors making it muddy. Have to get into heated arguments to convince my father that putting ac on bumper to bumper traffic is harmful to the engine, as my vehicle hasnt run in yet.

Really gets faster heart beats when in traffic jams as any biker can scratch your vehicle and get away. Bumper to bumper situations are really a nightmare.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 17:52   #95
BHPian

The love of my car .........
I sold my esteem after bringing it to top shape, only because I found the open car park a pain. Shopping was always an issue as my mind would be on the car.

Now with a covered car park at my home, I went for my Palio.......The Love of my car ............
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 18:30   #96
BHPian

My thoughts :
1. hate when some one slams my door
2. Love to wax the car in the morning before it gets sunny and my mom keeps calling me for breakfast. Also she gets irritated when i would return to to the car every two minute to wipe that small speck of dust.
3. hates when someone steps in with all that dust on the shoes or water during the rainy season.
4. hates when girlfriend turn the rear view mirror to adjust her hair
5. hates when the car washing guy wipes the dust on the car before wasing to make his job easier
6. hates when the car washing guy uses the same cloth which he used to wipe the car to clean the beige dashboard and interiors.
7.hates when someone leans on the car with the one foot on the neatly polished tyre
8.hates when someone sits on the backseat and keep pushing the mats with the feet and finally keeping his/her feet on the carpets.
9.The co passenger hates when you idle the engine for a few minutes before you start driving
10. Girlfriend hates to make her walk because i dont get an "ideal park" anywhere around the restaurant.
11.Hates when someone revs the engine than your my usual revving.
12.Hates when a call centre Sumo/Ric/Twowheeler come close to your car. hates when a two wheeler sqeeses its way through the gap in the traffic light.
13. Turn around every 10 secs when you leave the car park on the road till you reach the next turn.
14. walk around the car when the valet returns the car (if he was lucky to valet park my car!!!!)
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 23:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Kiss the Steering Wheel everytime u win a race ...!!![:d]
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 06:17   #98
Senior - BHPian

it is just so true that all men have atleast one thought matching from the list provided, and mine match them all man that just making me a little emotional for i am well attatched to my toys!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 16:57   #99
Senior - BHPian

Members of my family think I have lost it, when I dust my feet before sitting in the car......& I get nightmares when it rains & one HAS TO go out in the car, coz getting back in gets all the muck from the road into the car !!!!! YYYYEEEEEEOOOOOOWWW
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 17:18   #100
BHPian

And dear friends those were great days when we used our ambassadors. No worries on this kind of silly things.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 17:19   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Members of my family think I have lost it, when I dust my feet before sitting in the car......& I get nightmares when it rains & one HAS TO go out in the car, coz getting back in gets all the muck from the road into the car !!!!! YYYYEEEEEEOOOOOOWWW
Totally agree, monsoons are hell for cars... but ironically, cars are heaven during monsoons... go figure!!
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 16:23   #102
BHPian

Guys ! This thread is touching on many levels. Cause more than anything I feel like Im not alone, and that we're all together in this community. I have had two loves in my life.

The first, my first ever car, that was just mine, just for me, not the house car which I was allowed to use, but entirely and exclusively just for me. Heres another 'mine' and 'just for me' for good measure.

2002 VW Golf GTi VR6 (Indiana, USA)

I'm not a brat, maybe a little bit but I dont want my sounding bratty or anything I say to offend anyone. Its only in matters of cars that Im like this. Very often when I talk about cars some people think Im being obnoxious or arrogant (1st of my points for the thread). Cause when I speak I speak of my dreams what I want to buy when I make it big, what my dad should buy, what would suit him, my mom, my sis, my brother in law and so on. Its all wishful thinking yet somehow it always sounds like I feel like we can afford all this. Lots of people mistake this. Where I went to college (considering Ive lived in tropical Chennai all my life) gets extremely cold in the winters. The first time you see snow its exciting and dreamy and all things wonderful, but the novelty dies after the first day or two. Then it just gets painfully cold. My entire group of friends, none of us had cars for our first two years of college. Occasional weekends we would save up money and make a trip to a nearby college on a rented car. After not having had a car for maybe weeks or months at a time, rental american favourites like Ford Taurus' Mercury Sables with their leather and fake wood veneer seem like godsends. We all would fight to drive them and once we get the wheel, hog the car. But these would usually just end up being once or twice a whole semester. I begged my dad to buy me a car, but my parents being the type to care about reputation and what people would think, thought it wise to wait a while before buying me a car as it would seem too much, sending me to college in the US and in addition buying me a car(just any car by the way). I would see college students driving E46 325is, 330is,330cis, M3s, E36 M3 Evos, E39 M5's, 911 Carreras, E38 740is with BBS rims, X5s, SLKs, A4s, TTs, RS4 Avants. For a while I would dream of owning an exotic in college (any BMW would be an exotic after ikons and lancers in India).. Then slowly I even began to dream about Accords, Civics, and the like. Eventually an old E34 535i or E30 3-series would appear to be dream cars. This went on for the first year and a half. By the time sophomore year(2nd year) was drawing to a close, I decided I would never get a car in college. That my parents were selfish people who had 4 cars in India with one lying idle and didnt care if their son was freezing in college and could never leave campus in a hicktown in midwestern america and that worrying about what others thought were more important. A friend of mine bought a Dodge Neon for 1500$ (for which we all scraped together lending him little here and there- the transaction in the end amounting to quarters and nickels and dimes). We all would drive that every now and then. But after the first few weeks I felt he was becoming anal about his car(point no 2 for this thread). I didnt understand it then. He didnt like us borrowing his car all the time, driving it all the time, and generally thinking it belongs to all of us. So as not to strain the friendship I refrained from using the said Neon forthwith.

Finally one fine day first semester Junior(3rd) year my dad told me he would wire me money to buy a car, and to decide on a decent budget and no fancy cars as people would talk and to buy some everyday car which people couldnt talk about. By this time I could have written a thesis on used car prices in the US and decided on a decent sounding budget. Presented this to my dad to get the reaction 'sounds steep but I guess if its fairly new and hassle free you could stretch it to that much'. I started looking around for used BMWs and Audis (dad would flip, but with said budget a high mileage 325i or A4 1.8T seemed to be possible). Well I couldnt find anything in the budget. At the outerlimit were cars with close to 100k miles and no warranty. I decided as a college student I couldnt afford to service these cars. But really wanted a sport sedan in college.(Not arrogant, just a dreamer).

One day I drove past a dealership, and amidst the usual american cars were a Toyota MR-S (black spider), C5 Corvette (Silver), Audi TT 1.8T Quattro (Silver) and lastly a spanking looking mark IV GTi VR6. I knew I wanted manual transmission (autos are blasphemous). Headed straight for the Corvette()... was cheap but way out of my budget. Still closed my eyes and imagined what it would be like to own a corvette in college. Then the TT. Dreamt somemore, reality hit, about $7,000 out of budget. Then came the MR-S and the GTi. Both were manual, low miles (10k and 11k respectively) and appeared brand spanking new. No scratches nothing. Another 3 years of warranty, the tires looked brand new... the cars even smelt new. Now I was in a fix. The MR-S was well within budget, leaving room for some Rims, ICE and maybe the following semester a subtle body kit. But with 5 friends car-less this was about as practical as a motorcycle. Turned to the GTi. 3-Door Hatch (Dammit, wanted a sedan) and didnt have the usual GTi 17"s but 16" multi-spoke, looked more like a high-end Golf TDi than a GTi. Test drove the MR-S first. All show no go. Just another 4 cylinder nothing exciting.

Then I drove the GTi........and I discovered love. If there is such a phrase love at first drive. 201BHP, 195 lb ft of torque she kept pulling at every gear throwing my head back into the head rest all the way upto the 4th (I would later discover that though not as fiercely even in 6th on the highway I would get pushed back into the seat). In city traffic couldnt get her higher than that. But third felt like second and second like first. Such was the torque. Up until then I never understood torque, what those figures meant or why people used 'grunt' to describe a cars performance. My cars back in India at the time were an Ikon 1.6, a Lancer SLX D,a Qualis, and a Landcruiser VX 4.2TDi. But nothing felt like the GTi. Sounded delightful, handled fantastically, had the most ergonomic interior, 3-spoke wheel, 6-speed box, heated black leather seats, rain sensor, moonroof, daytime running lights, trip computer, tinted windows,the works. More loaded than any used BMW or Audi I could get. Dad's requirement of an everyday car was also fulfilled. Every other GTi in college was a 1.8T and one 2001 5-speed VR6. 2002 saw the 6 speed introduced. And to every other person except for a fellow GTi driver this car was a sleeper.

Two days later I recieved the wire and closed the deal on the GTi. Stretched the budget a bit but couldnt let it up. First thing after Insurance etc. were a set of Rubber GTi mats from the VW dealership. Expensive but black with Red GTi lettering were almost orgasmic (for floor mats). Then for ICE(I dont know much about wiring etc. had a friend help me). We pulled out the Monsoon sound system and put in a Sony CDX M8800 with Polk Momo speakers all around with components up front. Alpine V12 Amp mated to twin 12" JL W3v2 Subs. A Beltronics Vector radar detector took care of the cops and my irresistable speeding. Ordered 18inch TSW two piece 5 spoke rims with rivets but those rims were never to be. The brake callipers on the VR6 were bigger than standard GTis and it was really hard to find the right set of rims. The TSWs were sent back (I never found the right rims for the rest of the time I had the car) by which time I was completely broke for the rest of the semester and so decided to just use that money for my survival for the next two months. The initial rush of getting the car can screw your thinking and logic.

The car meant more than anything else ..'Freedom' and 'Independence'. No more begging people for rides, no more suffering winters, no more eating at the same restaurants, no more bad days spent walking around campus wishing I had a car to just go on a drive to sort my mood out. It changed everything. I would drive her everyday. I filled only 97 Octane Gas and only from BP. Once a week or two weeks 'The Works' Car wash at Mikes Car Wash (the best in town) after which I would personally scrub my beloved mats with a tooth brush cursing all my friends for bring pebbles and mud into the car. Detail the interiors using leather cleaners and wet wipes ( the non shedding kind) to wipe down the dash and seats. After this I would park it back at my covered parking spot (which was an luxury) wipe her down and let her enjoy feeling clean and dry. The next two days I hated anyone getting in the car. Being a coupe people would step all over the door sills to jump into the back and the rear ashtray between the seats would always get stepped on and the cover getting knocked off. I would freak, yell and shout at everyone for not seeing where they put their legs and that getting their butts on the seat was not the only thing they need to think of when entering a car. These would always be followed by the most annoyed and condescending its-just-a-car-faced "Im SORRY". I hated it !! Down right despised it. And the girls with their fake fur jackets would be shedding white hair all over the black leather seats, which I would notice through the rear-view mirror. Of the 5-6 close friends only two were allowed to drive it cause they respected my feelings about the car and would drive her with utmost respect. Yet when she was away I always had a constant pain in the pit of my stomach and higher heart rates. Everyone had to dust their shoes before stepping in. Slamming the doors were a strict no. Before friends would shut the door they would see my glaring at them and so shut it ever so gently. I was almost a tyrant and just plain difficult with my baby. Thank god for understanding friends. I drove the GTi for 44000 miles over 2 and half years... just me. Frequent trips to Chicago, Cleveland(where my sister used to live), Indianapolis, Ann Arbor Michigan (where I interned) and one trip to New York and Boston. The car served me well and was under warranty the entire period, VW paying for everything except about 80$ for my oil change, which I felt was fine being synthetic and only the best for my baby. Every time we would go to eat I would choose a seat looking out the window, so I could stare at my baby the entire time. Would go on drives all the time just us.. down back roads with no police patrol, once clocking 130 mph (just under 210kmh). Changed the battery and tires once each. When I decided against taking up a job in America and heading back home I was depressed at selling the GTi, dad even telling me had it been RHD I could have brought it back with me. The depression started when I found out I had to let her go. I would take pictures all the time including the day I let her go. For the longest time after that I felt like I betrayed a close friend. I would be lying if I said I've never cried about selling that car. There are still days when I think of her. I can still shut my eyes and imagine driving it, how the wheel, gear lever and controls just felt into place, her grunt even in 6th. What a car. First love. It will always the one, the deepest. I wish I could have brought her back.

'79L 7874' I still have the license plate up in my room.

Im sorry this post is so long. If I get abused for this I'll refrain from writing about my second love. If you guys are up for it do let me know. Thanks for being patient.
BEEM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 17:26   #103
Senior - BHPian

BEEMER dude..your post was awesome.Could actually feel the love and affection u had for that babe and i can totally relate to it.Please Post your 2nd love story too
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 17:36   #104
BHPian

@BEEMER: respect is all I can say! Fantastic post.. got me all emotional..

\/ peace!
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 18:59   #105
Senior - BHPian

Great "love story" can totally relate to it.....

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote