Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th March 2008, 08:28   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Keep one of those electronic mosquito 'bats' in the car - I forget what they're called, but they look like bright yellow badminton racquets with a black handle, and you can zap the lil ****ers with mild electric current.

Quite satisfying when you hear them pop, too.
that does work. though, i will need the navigator to do that for me, as the critters tend to come out only when we reach a certain speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyupc View Post
how about going a bit fast and opening all the windows...works for me...

i guess its easy if you have electric windows.

Otherwise open all windows and go for a fast drive. When you stop, make sure you close them quick before any more get it..
that didnt work for me.these cochin mosquitoes seemed to be the most highly evolved of all.they accelerate and handle very well, difficult to catch. they are also very good at sensing danger. in my experience, the mosquitoes in TN and karnataka are much more easier to catch and get rid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Keep a small can of Hit,Baygon etc when you park your car for the night.Spray it in your car,but keep the nozzle low towards the mat and lock your car voila the next day no mosq.. or roaches(if present in your car)
dont we end up poisoning ourselves in the confined spaces of our cars?

its best to use your co-driver and an electric bat. make sure the co driver doesnt get over-enthu and shock you while driving(that has happened to me)
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 12:52   #17
BHPian

Yesterday night I sprayed HIT inside the car and more specially around the ABC pedals and gear shift stick. Today morning I had no mossies, though the car did smell different.

I opened the windows and drove for some time and then closed them and turned on the AC.

Things worked well.

I hope this is a good solution and that the Kerala ones with better intelligence do not migrate here.

Venkat
Venkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 13:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatingdeath View Post
its just a macchar it will have to lay her eggs she will go away not a big issue and if have chronic ailment of macchars getting in your car then possibly they are breeding in there where theres some stagnant water

i
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Keep a small can of Hit,Baygon etc when you park your car for the night.Spray it in your car,but keep the nozzle low towards the mat and lock your car voila the next day no mosq.. or roaches(if present in your car)
Poison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
that does work. though, i will need the navigator to do that for me, as the critters tend to come out only when we reach a certain speed.

that didnt work for me.these cochin mosquitoes seemed to be the most highly evolved of all.they accelerate and handle very well, difficult to catch. they are also very good at sensing danger. in my experience, the mosquitoes in TN and karnataka are much more easier to catch and get rid of.

dont we end up poisoning ourselves in the confined spaces of our cars?

its best to use your co-driver and an electric bat. make sure the co driver doesnt get over-enthu and shock you while driving(that has happened to me)
Coz Kochi ones are well fed and BIG, house fly size.

Wouldnt the car smell of mosquito coil?

Why not a Good Night ?All Out connected via cig lighter adapter/convertor?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 22:02   #19
BHPian

Why is this such a big problem !! There are always mosquitoes in my car epecially if it s doors are kept open in the evening !! The logic behind these mosquitoes is that once they wake up that is after sunset they tend to go to light sources and yourroof light attracts them !! Just drive with all window s rolled down and fan in recycle mode and all of them shall go out of the window !!!
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 09:49   #20
BHPian

Default Mosquitoes in the car!

Guys!

I have been noticing this phenomenon for last many years. As the winter approaches I start seeing mosquitoes inside the car whenever the car has been parked for more than 3 hours. Then I have roll down all the glasses and chase them away. Again the same thing if the car gets parked over 3hrs anywhere.

I drive a Scorpio. The doors are closed and the window rolled up. I have not come across any particular place where these guys can sneak in. But somehow they know the entry point. Must be some place from under the dash or something.

Any help on this?
moleculez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 10:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Faced it couple of times while car was parked overnight on Mumbai roads. I switched on the AC for 15 mins (high blower) and then seen these mosquitoes dead on dashboard and on rear parcel tray. I am not sure if this is the right solution but effective for sure.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 11:18   #22
BHPian

Maybe they get in when you open the door. Has happened to me a few times, thinking of driving around with a Kachhua Chhaap Agarbatti on the passenger seat.

Another idea is to infiltrate their society, make friends with them, mate with their women and then destroy them from the inside.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 11:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Another idea is to infiltrate their society, make friends with them, mate with their women and then destroy them from the inside.
lol.. would be particularly interested in seeing how you do that buddy
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 11:55   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Another idea is to infiltrate their society... mate with their women... destroy them from the inside.
I can see the raison de etre behind your handle!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 12:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
lol.. would be particularly interested in seeing how you do that buddy
Haha not me, the one that is having a problem could do it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I can see the raison de etre behind your handle!
Lol nothing really do with my handle!!!
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 12:44   #26
Team-BHP Support

Switch ON the AC they will come out thanks to cool climate, swat them with whatever you want.

Park the car under HOT sun, buggers will fall dead in couple of hours.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 21:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

There is a talk doing the rounds in Cochin that the new Cochin IPL team should be named "Cochin mosquitoes" . Looks like someone has read your post.

-- Wind
Wind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 12:54   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Ek Macchar / Mosquitoes in the car

Thank God, I found this thread here. I have been facing this problem since past couple of days. However tried most of the options suggested by other members here, unfortunately none of them worked 100%

These mosquitos enter my car around 6 AM when my cleaner opens the gates and then till around 11 AM my car is all parked under direct sunlight. Ideally they should have gone to heaven or hell due to excessive heat, however I guess they got some extra power and still stay alive.

In this 40 degrees of heat, I keep my windows down and switch on blower at full speed for like couple of kms, still some of them prefer to stay inside my car.

Cant use any coil / spray, since I am allergic to their strong smell. Any other suggestions please
Ashdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 14:21   #29
NPX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
Cant use any coil / spray, since I am allergic to their strong smell. Any other suggestions please
use mosquito killer racquet, kill them electronically.
NPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 20:24   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
I drive a Scorpio. The doors are closed and the window rolled up. I have not come across any particular place where these guys can sneak in. But somehow they know the entry point. Must be some place from under the dash or something.
In Scorpio, they do sneak in from the rear door [hatch area] if all doors/windows are closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
In this 40 degrees of heat, I keep my windows down and switch on blower at full speed for like couple of kms, still some of them prefer to stay inside my car.
At speeds of 70 and above, I open all the windows and the mosquitoes/flies go away, everytime. You may try this
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote