Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 16:51   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I dont think some one is rating higher just because it got Oscar! But the point is dont underrate the work / composition just because it stole the lime light!
Who is underrating it? Can't I have my opinion irrespective of what Oscar jury thinks about it?

If I think (and many seem to agree with it) that SDM music is no great shake compared ARR's other works, I am entitled to that opinion. It doesn't mean, I am underrating SDM only because it got Oscar. What has Oscar got anything to do with it? I don't have to think it great because it got Oscar, just as I should not berate it because it got Oscar.

Contrary to many who think this is against a person getting the award, it is against a particular average composition getting the award, which is touted as highest award in the world.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 16:53   #182
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Just because posting on tbhp is free does not mean we can spout whatever we feel like, on subjects that we don't even remotely know about.
Come on SB, be a sport - don't prevent 90% of all posts on this forum
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:00   #183
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default

Look, you watch a movie, you dont like it, fine. Perfectly acceptable.
You watch a movie, you dont like it and you trash those who saw it and found it deserving an award, thats hard to digest.
And then in the same breath you say "please respect my opinion" while trashing others' opinion. Now that just takes the cake, doesnt it?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:22   #184
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You watch a movie, you dont like it and you trash those who saw it and found it deserving an award, thats hard to digest.
And then in the same breath you say "please respect my opinion" while trashing others' opinion. Now that just takes the cake, doesnt it?
Ok, Amitoj, let's be very clinical about this.

Did I trash the Oscar committee for awarding 8 Oscar? True, I accept, I called that as a joke. Oscar committee is not a member here, I don't have to respect their decision.
Did I trash the movie? I said it is not 8 Oscar worthy, other than that I said it is good movie, even well made. I even said Lagaan was better, that's a relative term, not trashing.
Did I trash a fellow member's opinion? Kindly show me where?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:43   #185
BHPian
 
gkrishn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 584
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Man, this thread is more passionate than those Fiat "the thud" Palio threads.

My personal favorite of arr, is "en kadale" from Duet. I get goose bumps listening to that one. Kadri gopalnath's saxophone was also a class act in that music.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:44   #186
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,378 Times
Default

A.R. Rahman is built like a tank.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:46   #187
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default

LOL. Dont be so touchy Samurai. You are not the only one here who has asked for his opinion to be respected. You keep taking things personally for no apparent reason (right from your first response to my post which i have quoted below in response to one of your questions)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ok, Amitoj, let's be very clinical about this.

Did I trash the Oscar committee for awarding 8 Oscar? True, I accept, I called that as a joke. Oscar committee is not a member here, I don't have to respect their decision.
That is interesting. Only TBHP members deserve respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did I trash the movie? I said it is not 8 Oscar worthy, other than that I said it is good movie, even well made. I even said Lagaan was better, that's a relative term, not trashing.
Did I trash a fellow member's opinion? Kindly show me where?
Here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, really? Next time you guys make any comments about cricket selectors or cricket players, I'd love to read it. Obviously any cricket selector or player has lot more more understanding of the game than you guys, let me see how much blind trust you will bestow upon them.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:52   #188
BHPian
 
gkrishn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 584
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

I have to run for cover for posting this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
LOL. Dont be so touchy Samurai.
LOL. Amitoj, i guess you have not seen the DSLR thread. Try recommending a canikon there!!!

Samurai, just pulling ur legs. Thats it....
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:58   #189
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 911 Times
Default

After seeing the movie an interesting thought played in my mind, that sometimes so much in our lives is a culmination of our experiences. Infact I'd go as far to say that much of what happens to us in life usually is a result of the complex bag of experiences we go through not just in recent times but since our childhood and possibly genetically too.

I liked the movie's theme, the irony that a success which to some may appear as pure luck may be the most natural course in another's life.

From a cinematic point of view I found the movie outstanding.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 18:07   #190
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I have to run for cover for posting this...
hehehe dont worry Guru. I'll provide you covering fire.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 18:38   #191
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You are not the only one here who has asked for his opinion to be respected. You keep taking things personally for no apparent reason (right from your first response to my post which i have quoted below in response to one of your questions)
You were repeatedly quoting me, so I mistook you were talking to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is interesting. Only TBHP members deserve respect.
Oh brother... What I mean is I trashed the opinion of Oscar committee, and not of a Team-BHP member. BTW, there is s difference between trashing the opinion of a person vs disrespecting the person. Many of my family members trash my interest in Jeep/offroading, but they don't disrespect me. Hope you can see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did I trash the movie? I said it is not 8 Oscar worthy, other than that I said it is good movie, even well made. I even said Lagaan was better, that's a relative term, not trashing.
Did I trash a fellow member's opinion? Kindly show me where?
Here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, really? Next time you guys make any comments about cricket selectors or cricket players, I'd love to read it. Obviously any cricket selector or player has lot more more understanding of the game than you guys, let me see how much blind trust you will bestow upon them.
In other words, you still haven't understood what I wrote despite tanveer's interpretation.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 18:47   #192
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,716
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Unless you have an inside view into how the Academy gives out the awards, these are just speculations and without any basis. Just because posting on tbhp is free does not mean we can spout whatever we feel like, on subjects that we don't even remotely know about.
I wonder what you would say if SDM would NOT have got the award. If ARR would not have got the award, you would be talking about lobbying and biasedness and racism! Just because it's Oscar it doesn't mean it's totally honest and there is no lobbying. Don't be so naive. Why do you think Aamir Khan stationed himself in LA almost a month before Oscars when Lagaan was in the running. Using your logic, why do we and you included flame the COTY awards? I don't agree that the Fabia deserved the OD COTY. I flame the jury. I am not saying it's a useless car. It maybe a good car but not good enough to deserve the award. If we question the filmfare jury and the judges of reality shows for their decisions why not the Oscars? Just because they are white skinned?

Quote:
Maybe you found the movie average and the music average (many others felt the same here), but I frankly don't think you have any technical knowledge/standing whatsoever to decide whether Resul Pookutty & his team's work was deserving of an Oscar or not in the realm they won it. It is easy to criticise, but even there it would be useful to first think about our level of knowledge in that sphere before lampooning those that work in that domain.
Then we should close this forum. How many of the members are knowledgeable in technical terms about cars we talk about?

Quote:
I don't know what is remotely-Indian about ARR, Resul and Gulzar. All 3 are proper Indians as anyone of us here. And I do not see anything wrong in being happy if a compatriot does good, be it ARR or Abhinav Bindra or Vijendra.
Read properly. People who don't agree with the awards are saying that these guys have done better work. Everyone is happy that ARR is recognised for his work but this isn't his best work.

You have quoted my whole post. Why didn't you quote the part about Jai Ho originally being part of the movie Yuvraj. Do you think the song would have won a filmfare then?

Quote:
unfortunately the Oscars are not given based on what you or me think.
Do we really have to spell out each and everything here? If I can put a message across in 3 lines, I am not going to go on and on for 15 lines to do the same. I am sure some people got the message behind what I was trying to say with the massakali part.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 18:49   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Ok guys where is the popcorn left over from that Gurkha Thread. Please some one oven it, it was going bad. This is going to be good. Slumdog? What Slumdog?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 19:05   #194
BHPian
 
Shakensoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: AS01
Posts: 492
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Please pass on some popcorn to me also.

This thread should be renamed " And the Oscar should not go to..."
Shakensoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 19:17   #195
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I wonder what you would say if SDM would NOT have got the award. If ARR would not have got the award, you would be talking about lobbying and biasedness and racism!
No. Till the time it was announced, I was thinking/hoping that it would be good if one of our guys got it. If they had not, well bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Just because it's Oscar it doesn't mean it's totally honest and there is no lobbying. Don't be so naive.
My point was we don't know what is behind the process - maybe there is lobbying, maybe not. But since we are not privy to what actually happens behind the scenes, what you said would be just speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Using your logic, why do we and you included flame the COTY awards?
Don't know about you, but I don't really care about COTY or even auto-mag opinions. I have never ever subscribed to any of them anyway. The only car-stuff in print I read is what comes in the Wednesday supplement of The Hindu. And apart from factual errors, I don't have any issue with that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Then we should close this forum. How many of the members are knowledgeable in technical terms about cars we talk about?
If someone is talking about a technical term that he has no knowledge about, then he is taking through his hat. This does not mean that the forum should be closed. It just means that in such cases it is better for said person to maintain discretion in his posts.

You said that none of the awards were deserved. Like I said earlier, you might be right in saying that maybe the movie and music was just average and did not deserve the Oscar, but what about the 'Sound Editing' award ? To say that that award was also not deserved would require enough knowledge about that domain. That's all I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Everyone is happy that ARR is recognised for his work but this isn't his best work.
Accepted. But his best work either did not go to the Oscars or did not qualify for being nominated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Why didn't you quote the part about Jai Ho originally being part of the movie Yuvraj.
I did read about ARR saying that the idea of using "Jai Ho" was S.Ghai's. So ? We can again only speculate what would have been the turn of events if it had been a song in Yuvraj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Do we really have to spell out each and everything here? If I can put a message across in 3 lines, I am not going to go on and on for 15 lines to do the same.
If your 3 lines are based on facts, why not ? But if they are just fiction, even a 100-page novel won't suffice.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vishy Gets a record 5th Chess Oscar VJ_MAVRICK Shifting gears 9 12th November 2013 12:06
Oscar Awards 2007 results hydrashok Shifting gears 0 26th February 2007 10:52
Does anyone have Oscar fishes? Shan2nu Shifting gears 6 25th June 2005 17:05
Hyundai Goes Bold and Beautiful amit The International Automotive Scene 8 7th November 2004 11:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks