Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th February 2009, 16:12   #226
Senior - BHPian

I don't think anyone here is angry or irritated with ARR or RP winning the Oscar. Everyone here is proud of them. PERIOD.

But all some people are trying to say is - that ARR has done much better work than in SDM. Is that so hard to digest ? I feel thats true - this is not anywhere close to ARR's best. There will be dis-agreements on this statement but everyone has a different view right ?

As for the movie - I will repeat myself and say - I found it absolute rubbish. I really do not know how it got 8 Oscars !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:18   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
that ARR has done much better work than in SDM.
So what Gautam?

Important point, in fact the only point is - did the other movies where he did much better work make it for the nominations in the regular (as in not a Foreign film) category? The answer is "No". This one did (primarily because it was not a "Foreign" film) & he hit Gold.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:18   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I cant understand whats the big fuss about SDM winning prizes, its not an Indian Movie.

As for Rehman, the Jury liked it(shouldnt matter if we agree with it or not; its their awards after all) & hence awarded, we as Indians should be happy to know that Someone Indian is getting a good recognition of his work same for the editing chap.
Sensible post, Thanks for summarizing beautifully Technocrat.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:18   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I do but thats my opinion :-)
There are quite a few that liked the movie too. I liked it too but compared to what i prefer this wasnt so great.

One character in this movie that i think was clearly overlooked was the elder brother. What a powerful role that could have been.

More then Jamal the movie could have been of Salim. He is the real slumdog millionaire - Jamal was all chance and luck. His character and his actions are much more realistic then Jamal's.

From selling the autographed photo of his brother to taking Latika to the don, his filling the bath tub with notes and siting inside it before getting killed was very well scripted.

Instead Latika gets the eye balls which was a very weak and predictable character.

Last edited by Spitfire : 26th February 2009 at 16:21.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:19   #230
BHPian

We drool over american muscle cars, we sweat blood to get an american visa and study in oxford/harvard, we dream about working in america and earn $$, we spend a fortune to import stuff from america, we watch hollywood films because bollywood is below our standards, blah, blah, blah....

But we mock the same american jury that awarded SDM. It feels that SDM is having a identity crisis, is it an Indian film or a hollywood film ? As if its a sin to say that SDM is an Indian film because it was directed by a Briton. I don't know, I'm confused coz I'm an Indian.
Shakensoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

Ah the fun is still going on.
Yes Gautam you are right.
The point is it got 8 oscars we like or not like so lets chuck this topic. Everyone gets whats in their destiny,deserving or not is just personal opinion as everyone works hard for the fame and recognition.
Truth is if you and me are in the winners shoes today we will feel its the greatest movie of all time and so will our well wishers. Thats how it is.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:42   #232
BANNED

Winners are happy but may not think its the greatest: ET 'better than my Gandhi film':Richard Attenborough
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Truth is if you and me are in the winners shoes today we will feel its the greatest movie of all time and so will our well wishers. Thats how it is.
@E_L, I am sure you knew this too
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:01   #233
Senior - BHPian

Popcorn sales have increased. I can afford amitoj and Samurai's tax now.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:23   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Popcorn sales have increased. I can afford amitoj and Samurai's tax now.
allo, it wont be long before you will have to be the entertainer. So easy on the popcorns.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:31   #235
Senior - BHPian

Apparently there are 2 camps:

Camp 1: The jury has decided that the movie is the best. We don't care if the movie is good or bad, we are happy with Rehman getting an international award.

Camp 2: We don't care if the movie got an award or not, the music is very ordinary compared to ARR's better work. We don't have to sing songs of the movie just because it got an Oscar due to lack of competition. We are happy about ARR getting international recognition.

If there is no Camp3, I don't really see much of conflict here. What are we fighting for?

P.S.: If you read "Asterix", this is like the fight in that Gaul Village, where no one knows what they are fighting for. Of course, everyone enjoys it!
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:34   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
I don't think anyone here is angry or irritated with ARR or RP winning the Oscar. Everyone here is proud of them.
That's just about what we were trying to say. Everyone has a right to their opinion about the movie and the music (the sound editing is a different thing). Some like it, some don't. Fine. But I am just proud that some Indians made the cut. That's cool. So, the only problem was when someone said that "its a big joke that these guys got the awards", "the awards are fixed, so whats the big deal" etc which were comments that were tough to digest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
As for the movie - I will repeat myself and say - I found it absolute rubbish. I really do not know how it got 8 Oscars !
Again your view and you are entitled to it. Sort of syncs completely with what my views are about most Hindi movies. But then that is again only my opinion.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th February 2009 at 17:36.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:36   #237
BHPian

Camp 3: When there's a crime, follow the money

P.S. All out of popcorn and have switched channels already. Looks like this pointless thread will go on till the next Oscars
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:45   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
allo, it wont be long before you will have to be the entertainer. So easy on the popcorns.
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
P.S.: If you read "Asterix", this is like the fight in that Gaul Village, where no one knows what they are fighting for. Of course, everyone enjoys it!
Oh that would be Unhygienix fish hitting Fulliautomatix in his face that started it.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:53   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh that would be Unhygienix fish hitting Fulliautomatix in his face that started it.
So are you saying that samu is unhygenix & amitoj is fullyautomatix ? or is it the other way round ?
Old 26th February 2009, 20:32   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
So are you saying that samu is unhygenix & amitoj is fullyautomatix ? or is it the other way round ?
Blistering barnacles and thundering typhoons! No gauls or romans on this ship matey.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote