Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th February 2009, 07:53   #241
BHPian

Why are we people forgetting that A R Rahman was nominated for SDM and it was pitted against the other movies like wall e,wrestler etc and not against his own movies like Roja,Taal etc.So please stop comparing his work and as for the movie winning 8 awards please watch the other nominated movies and then decide if it deserved it or not and why so much hypocrisy I am sure no one would have said bad about the movie had it been made by an Indian director and we can watch the stupid masala shown in bollywood films but if its shown in a hollywood movie we criticize about it.People appreciated movies like dhoom 2,shootout at lokhandwala where there was nothing but exaggeration in the whole movie
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 08:23   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
After seeing the movie an interesting thought played in my mind, that sometimes so much in our lives is a culmination of our experiences. Infact I'd go as far to say that much of what happens to us in life usually is a result of the complex bag of experiences we go through not just in recent times but since our childhood and possibly genetically too.

I liked the movie's theme, the irony that a success which to some may appear as pure luck may be the most natural course in another's life.

From a cinematic point of view I found the movie outstanding.
DKG, you have perfectly summarized the reason why anything on earth, be it movie or music or an art appeals to someone and looks very ordinary to others and sometimes vice versa.

It is very difficult to comprehend how someone who has grown up in London or New York listening to Pop music all his life would react to something like Jai Ho... or a movie like SDM.

Personally, in many of the photography sites, I have seen many westerners share very ordinary pictures from India, like say a guy drinking water from a public tap and rave about it to no end. It has left me confused often.

regards
tifosi.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 27th February 2009 at 08:32.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 18:38   #243
Team-BHP Support

I have got weird answers for my query, so I post it again.
Why is Rahman not thanking Sukhwinder in any of his interviews.
Last time I asked this question, some person replied with a quote implying those who cannot do don't know its worth or some thing like this, but frankly speaking I could not understand the context of that person.
Anyways I ask this question again
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 20:04   #244
Senior - BHPian

Rahman chose who should sing the song. Its not the other way round.
Sukhwinder Singh is doing the right thing of thanking Rahman for choosing him to sing an oscar winning song.
nitrous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 20:12   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Sukhwinder Singh is doing the right thing of thanking Rahman for choosing him to sing an oscar winning song.
I get what you mean, but, does that mean Rahman need not say thanks to him at all?!

Common courtesy, I'd imagine!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 20:15   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yes Sukhwinder singh is doing the right thing, but is Rahman doing the right thing? Listen to the song. Its Sukhwinders voice also which makes it magical, not just the music(which in my opinion is brilliant too)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 20:21   #247
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Tsk, Rahman should have mentioned a word on Sukhwinder in his speech, since one of the Awards was for Best Song (Jai Ho).
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 20:54   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes Sukhwinder singh is doing the right thing, but is Rahman doing the right thing? Listen to the song. Its Sukhwinders voice also which makes it magical, not just the music(which in my opinion is brilliant too)
Why are we attaching so much of importance to this issue? We saw Danny Boyle mentioning that he forgot the name of the Choreographer in the credits and he realized it only a couple of weeks before the awards.

Mistakes like that happen. Given the high adrenalin situation, it is very natural for someone to miss out on something. I don't remember him mentioning the name of Tanvi Shah, the other singer in song.

However, going by his past records, as far as I know, he's the only music director to have introduced/given a new lease of life to so many singers (around 50 including Sukhwinder) in a short span of time.

UnniKrishnan, a popular singer in south, mentioned that he once rejected an offer from Rahman to sing in a particular song, which he thought will not suit his voice. Rahman respected his decision and gave him a call the next month to sing in a different number.

He's a man of humility and especially known to give due credits to different members of his entire orchestra, sound engineer etc, by printing their name in the album cover. There's even a mention by another singer Chinmayee that she was surprised to see her name in Delhi 6 album, though her contribution was just three lines.

Before making sweeping statements like he's got a small heart or something like that, think twice.

regards
tifosi.

Here's an excerpt from an interview to rediff.

But there were regrets as well.
"I wanted Sukhi (Sukhvinder Singh) there to sing Jai Ho," he says ruefully. "I wanted Sivamani (the talented percussionist) to be part of the show too. But then I had no control over the creative aspects of the show. The dances were choreographed by Fatima Robinson (a big name in Hollywood). I could not coordinate anything. Also, Sukhi's schedule could not fit our schedule."

Rahman sang not only Jai Ho, but also O Saya which he performed for the film with hip-hop artist M.I.A. She could not make it to the Oscars because she had to take care of her newly born son. At one point, there was speculation whether she would sing from her bed in her New York home.

"So there were a few disappointing moments," he continues. Gulzar (who wrote Jai Ho) could not come either. I am very angry with him," Rahman says, quickly adding a chuckle. "He had the air ticket, the invitation, and the hotel room. But a day or two before flying to Los Angeles he hurts himself while playing tennis. I really missed him."

rediff.com: A R Rahman on creativity, humility, spirituality

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 27th February 2009 at 21:10.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 21:09   #249
Senior - BHPian

For all its worth in this discussion:

I read in local newspaper that, ARR had arranged for a party in "some big" hotel for all the slum kids, who were part of the movie. ( Name of hotel wasn't mentioned).
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 21:25   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Agree with Tsk, Rahman should have mentioned a word on Sukhwinder in his speech, since one of the Awards was for Best Song (Jai Ho).
How deep are we going to analyze this? lets see.

AR Rahman and Gulzar were nominated for the song, Sukhwinder Singh was not. The award was for creating the song.

And I am not denying Sukhwinder's singing.

Last edited by srishiva : 27th February 2009 at 21:34.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 21:30   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How deep are we going to analyze this? lets see.

AR Rahman and Gulzar were nominated for the song, Sukhwinder Singh was not. The award was for creating the song.
LOL, you make it so so so very 'clinical' and 'technical'!
The VOICE in a song matters a LOT! And that is a gift from God! You cannot learn it or earn it!

The creative arts are different; some will never quite comprehend them!
That said, it takes all types. Not trying to offend anyone here!
Old 27th February 2009, 21:44   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
LOL, you make it so so so very 'clinical' and 'technical'!
The VOICE in a song matters a LOT! And that is a gift from God! You cannot learn it or earn it!

The creative arts are different; some will never quite comprehend them!
That said, it takes all types. Not trying to offend anyone here!
I love Sukhwinder's singing (most for ARR's composition). Nitpicking has gone too far I think.
Old 27th February 2009, 21:57   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I love Sukhwinder's singing (most for ARR's composition). Nitpicking has gone too far I think.
It is so wonderful how, when confronted with a view that differs from our own, we begin to philosophize about how things have gone beyond all reasonable limits!
This is not nitpicking I'm trying to do. I am, as others here, trying to express a viewpoint!
You have the right to believe what you do, and I shall honour your right to do so. Please do not label other viewpoints as 'nitpicking'! They are POVs, just as valid in their own right as yours or mine.
Old 28th February 2009, 00:07   #254
Senior - BHPian

@anupmathur,
Thanks for your philosophical views!
Old 28th February 2009, 00:30   #255
Senior - BHPian

congratulations AR and Resul, you have done the nation proud!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote