Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 19:14   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default

Hi beejay,

My comparison is based on the prices based on our purchase experiences here in Delhi/Bombay, there based on prices in Dallas/Rochester and Singapore and Dubai in the middle. As you move up the value chain and go for progressive lenses with the wider field of vision and load them with all sorts of coatings the pricing in the US is better. Also when you get glasses made there you need not declare at the customs but the lenses and frames being imported for commercial sale would be subject to import duty and freight etc. adding to the cost. My dad recently got two pairs made from US with progressive lenses from Seiko with anti glare, scratch resistant and non reflective coatings, the frames are from lenscrafters for approx $600+ each. Here the Seiko lenses alone were starting at INR 38K++ . Of course I do not have the advantage of professional insight like yourself and can only compare street prices offered to walk in customers. However I have seen that the sales personnel in the US especially in the chain operated optical showrooms are more forthcoming on the various discounts/offers than their counterparts here. That too adds to the experience.

Regards
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 19:21   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

checked some indian sites and prices are already 50-100% more than US prices for non prescription. I get the custom duty point.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 19:37   #213
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Serengeti Drivers Gradient, wire flex. Also on my profile pic.
Name:  31ozvq4agvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  7.6 KB
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 19:37   #214
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi beejay,

My comparison is based on the prices based on our purchase experiences here in Delhi/Bombay, there based on prices in Dallas/Rochester and Singapore and Dubai in the middle. As you move up the value chain and go for progressive lenses with the wider field of vision and load them with all sorts of coatings the pricing in the US is better. Also when you get glasses made there you need not declare at the customs but the lenses and frames being imported for commercial sale would be subject to import duty and freight etc. adding to the cost. My dad recently got two pairs made from US with progressive lenses from Seiko with anti glare, scratch resistant and non reflective coatings, the frames are from lenscrafters for approx $600+ each. Here the Seiko lenses alone were starting at INR 38K++ . Of course I do not have the advantage of professional insight like yourself and can only compare street prices offered to walk in customers. However I have seen that the sales personnel in the US especially in the chain operated optical showrooms are more forthcoming on the various discounts/offers than their counterparts here. That too adds to the experience.

Regards
Khoj,

At the outset let me apologise if I sounded like a smart *** in my previous post. That's not my intent, maybe my sound while posting was not right.

Of course the prices in many stores in Cities like Bombay and Delhi are expensive in comparison to small stores like mine in small towns. Reason being our costs are lower. We and many other small town opticians function out of our own buildings, sell over the counter ourselves and haggle with the suppliers for the lowest price. We in turn offer at the lowest prices.

I am cent percent sure that you will find a lot of price difference between towns and Cities in our own country.

In the US of A the opticians need to adhere to stringent norms to even register their practice, which is not the case here. Almost anyone can run an optical store here.
Also, most branded eye wear maintain an uniform price world over. The same applies to lenses also. We are able to sell our lenses lower as we do not have many regulations yet sell the same lens manufatured and cast by the same machines as there.
There are a few customers of mine in the US who mail me their prescription and I courier them their glasses. They still find this economical. Maybe I should start charging more.

1.60 index, crizal A2( all the works coating) seiko progressive costs 7k here.
Is this the lens you were talking about.

Honestly khoj, I am just curious.. That's all.

Last edited by beejay : 11th June 2010 at 19:51.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 20:30   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,250 Times
Default

Hello again beejay,

Not at all man, where did that come from.

I agree with you on the big/small town price difference. I picked up one pair of polarized Carrera at 5.8K here in Delhi from one of the chain stores of a company based out of Goa. Same model was available for 4+ K at the leading opticion in Jamshedpur. I picked up my second pair of Carrera with Ultrapolar lenses for 4.7K from him. I also agree on the set up costs etc making a difference. In Bombay our regular optician is (Glorious Opticals) located near the Bombay hospital in the heart of town and their prices are so much more economical than the various opticians in Navi Mumbai where I stay.

As for the Seiko lens prices while I do not have the tech details but the prices I mentioned for the same are from Lenscrafters in the US (the lenses used are supposed to be amongst the top of the line offered by Seiko) and here these were quoted to me by a Calcutta based company's own outlet located in one of the malls in Delhi. The lenses here were sort of mid range ones from Seiko the top of the line were much more. Further the frames here were starting at approx 4K for non branded collections and the branded ones were available for all sorts of prices some even in six figures. The one thing they mentioned regarding the Seiko lenses was that the prescription would be sent to Japan and the lenses would be ground over there and then shipped with other orders in a lot. The delivery time was approx 3 weeks if I recall correctly. I hope to God that my dad does not learn about the prices given by you. On second thought though maybe it will be a good thing as then we can all travel to the Nilgiris and combine a nice holiday and fill the prescriptions too.

In all seriousness though it seems that I am headed towards my first prescription glasses ever for reading purposes. If that happens I am going to request you to send me the Seiko lenses++ mentioned by you along with the Colani frames that we discussed elsewhere.

Last edited by khoj : 11th June 2010 at 20:47.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 20:44   #216
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

saw that there was another thread on polarized glasses and driving, posted my clip-on polarized lense here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...unglasses.html (Good Vision In A Downpour - Wear Polarized Sunglasses!)
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 11:09   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

I agree with you on the big/small town price difference. I picked up one pair of polarized Carrera at 5.8K here in Delhi from one of the chain stores of a company based out of Goa.
Khoj, I used to work for the company that sells Carerra, I used to work as an agent for Hugo Boss and Diesel for them.
I also used to work for the retail chain based at Goa too. Coincidental, that you have experienced both.

You get the drift now. Most of the retail chain stores are expensive. Check prices with another small optician. There will be a difference. After all both of them get the lenses processed in the same lab. So no need to worry about quality and accuracy.
Try visiting that optician near Bombay hospital and mention clearly what you need. I am sure you will get a good deal.
But its surprising that you were able to get Carerra for a lower price, maybe the person was having a lower margin as most of the branded frames are priced uniform worldwide.

As for as the frames are concerned. That's a personal choice and depends on the ability to spend.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 11:08   #218
BHPian
 
rg_chn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: K.S.A
Posts: 343
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

^beejay - since you had something to do with carrera, i guess you can help.

I bought a Carrera few weeks back in another country. Came down to india, was cleaning theglass and one of the screws broke. Went to a big optical store in Chennai, he said the screw is stuck inside and needs to be drilled out. He's not willing to give me a guarantee that the colour around the screw will not chip off. He suggested taking it an authorised reseller or something. I tried searching online, but couldnt find one. I'll be in Chennai, Mumbai and Goa, Can anyone help me out with a place where i can get it fixed without ANY damage to it?

Thanks
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 11:38   #219
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
^beejay - since you had something to do with carrera, i guess you can help.

I bought a Carrera few weeks back in another country. Came down to india, was cleaning theglass and one of the screws broke. Went to a big optical store in Chennai, he said the screw is stuck inside and needs to be drilled out. He's not willing to give me a guarantee that the colour around the screw will not chip off. He suggested taking it an authorised reseller or something. I tried searching online, but couldnt find one. I'll be in Chennai, Mumbai and Goa, Can anyone help me out with a place where i can get it fixed without ANY damage to it?

Thanks
In Chennai try these opticians turakhia, kapleshwar. I don't know how helpful they would be.

If the screw is stuck inside, there are chances that same would be needed to be riveted after removing.
The authorised agent for carrera is safilo. Their head office is in Bombay. Number 022-27834949. This is their office and not a service center. Just call them and they might be able to help you and guide you to the right place.

Cheers
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 11:58   #220
Newbie
 
vmedury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Adding my eyes to the thread.
I use a polorised pair from "Poloroid" - xoor
It cost me close to 8k in Hyd 3 years ago at the shades store.

Its my trusted companion to beat the glare any time in the day. Never dared that in the night light though ( since its dark lens ).
I feel cutting out the glare reduces strain on the eye and helps to see better .
vmedury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 12:33   #221
BHPian
 
rg_chn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: K.S.A
Posts: 343
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
In Chennai try these opticians turakhia, kapleshwar. I don't know how helpful they would be.

If the screw is stuck inside, there are chances that same would be needed to be riveted after removing.
The authorised agent for carrera is safilo. Their head office is in Bombay. Number 022-27834949. This is their office and not a service center. Just call them and they might be able to help you and guide you to the right place.

Cheers
Thanks a lot for the number beejay.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 13:22   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 909 Times
Default

I got myslef a fastrack m067bu2 which looks similar to the aviator for 1356 Rs got 399 Rs off for the one going discount.Th glasses are cool and are blue in color.Will post pic later.

Unfortunately i got down with sty sickeness where the eyes get swollen and am currently wearing the new glasses to reduce strain due to light.Now when i get better how can i disinfect the sunglasses ? Can i wipe it with cotton and dettol or that will be disastrous to the glasses?

let me know people.

thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 14:50   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Unfortunately i got down with sty sickeness where the eyes get swollen and am currently wearing the new glasses to reduce strain due to light.Now when i get better how can i disinfect the sunglasses ? Can i wipe it with cotton and dettol or that will be disastrous to the glasses?

let me know people.

thanks
Rinse it with plain water and soap. Dry soon after.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 14:03   #224
BHPian
 
jaguar.runs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Maui Jim Backyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
2 x RayBan (1 polarized)
2 x Dunlop Sports (1 with wifey and other with BIL)
1 x Giorgio Armani (rarely used)
Added a new one yesterday - Maui Jim Backyards Grey (Polarized)

Very light and efficient, worth the money. Bought it for wifey and I am using it now

Here is the link from official site for details: Maui Jim Sunglasses - *New* Backyards

Name:  MauiJimBackyardsSunglassesGlossBlackGrey.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  11.0 KB
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 20:39   #225
BHPian
 
sathyaprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Can any one suggest a best place to but Ray ban Aviater glasses, i don't find find any seperate outlet selling Ray ban alone, members pls help me out where to buy also is polaraoid is a must for sunglass.
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Vision In A Downpour - Wear Polarized Sunglasses! throttleking Technical Stuff 63 21st January 2014 15:19
Ford Service time! Sunglasses missing shackman Indian Car Dealerships 18 19th February 2010 22:53
Ferrari Sunglasses manveet Shifting gears 9 2nd April 2007 01:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks