Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 17:08   #571
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Beejay some advice, not for sunglasses but for eyeglasses. Are there any other similar frames to the Tag Heuer ones, with the flexible bits that go over your ears? The Tag ones are around 15k I think, and considering I wear glasses only when I'm not wearing lenses it might not make sense to spend that much. Now I did see some frames for 2.5k, but I'm not convinced of the quality.
Hello Akshay,

Do you mean something like this? This model was the most imitated from the Tag range.
The replicas(pilfered) are good enough, however it depends on what you are laying your hands on. If it is the normal knock outs, its best to stay away as there are instances when some people have become allergic to them.
From the price that you have mentioned (1000 to 3000), I assume it should be the AA replica. If you can mail me a picture to bennyjohnv@gmail.com possible of the inner side where the descriptions are etched I can tell you what kind of replica it is.
The original is a work of art. Try if you are able to get a bargain somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-capture.jpg  

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 17:15   #572
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,755
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Hello Akshay,

Do you mean something like this? This model was the most imitated from the Tag range.
The replicas(pilfered) are good enough, however it depends on what you are laying your hands on. If it is the normal knock outs, its best to stay away as there are instances when some people have become allergic to them.
From the price that you have mentioned (1000 to 3000), I assume it should be the AA replica. If you can mail me a picture to bennyjohnv@gmail.com possible of the inner side where the descriptions are etched I can tell you what kind of replica it is.
The original is a work of art. Try if you are able to get a bargain somewhere.
I haven't seen any yet, just looked online. Saw something similar to the above on GKB opticals website. I plan on going tomorrow to have a look. Thanks for the help, will definitely email you. Also had another question, my power being slightly high -5.5 or so means the lenses will be thick. Now on my current glasses the lenses have this whitish border which king of negates the fact that they are half rimless. Is it possible to get a lens as thing as someone with a lower power, without this whitish border?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 18:12   #573
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I haven't seen any yet, just looked online. Saw something similar to the above on GKB opticals website. I plan on going tomorrow to have a look. Thanks for the help, will definitely email you. Also had another question, my power being slightly high -5.5 or so means the lenses will be thick. Now on my current glasses the lenses have this whitish border which king of negates the fact that they are half rimless. Is it possible to get a lens as thing as someone with a lower power, without this whitish border?
Ask your optician for the Seiko 1.74 index, here is a picture of pair that I crafted today right out of the white lab box. The power is -8.00 spherical with cylinder. Also have a look at the Airwear lenses from Essilor. They would be slightly thicker, yet less expensive.
Also ask him to tint your edges and to not buff the lenses. If you choose a rimless like the Tag, it would not look nice without the buffing. Go for a full rim and preferably a medium or smaller size as your lenses would be thinner at the center and thicker at the edges.
This is a full rim frame and the reason for the white part below was to give an impression of a half frame and blend with the fresh grinding.

Don't worry if the edges look thick and white they will dull with time, if he cannot do it, courier it to me and I will tint and send it back to you for free.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img2013050600326.jpg  


Last edited by beejay : 6th May 2013 at 18:19.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 18:20   #574
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,755
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Ask your optician for the Seiko 1.74 index, here is a picture that I crafted today. The power is -8.00 spherical with cylinder. Also have a look at the Airwear lenses from Essilor. They would be slightly thicker, yet less expensive.
Also ask him to tint your edges and to not buff the lenses. If you choose a rimless like the Tag, it would not look nice without the buffing. Go for a full rim and preferably a medium or smaller size as your lenses would be thinner at the center and thicker at the edges.
Thanks alot bud, will do ask for the Seiko lenses.

The part in bold, isn't that contradictory? So that white bit on the edges, like even in the lenses you made cannot be avoided due to my power?

I really like those Tags because its about as good a look as possible wearing glasses. Infact besides the side bits over the ears it doesn't look like the person is wearing glasses from a distance.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 18:46   #575
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thanks alot bud, will do ask for the Seiko lenses.

The part in bold, isn't that contradictory? So that white bit on the edges, like even in the lenses you made cannot be avoided due to my power?

I really like those Tags because its about as good a look as possible wearing glasses. Infact besides the side bits over the ears it doesn't look like the person is wearing glasses from a distance.
You are welcome.

The white in the edges is because its fresh ground and maybe the previous picture was taken at a bad angle. Here is another picture against light to give you a better idea. I will mail you a picture of the same frame after a few months when the customer visits me again and the white will be gone.

These are the thinnest it can go for -8.00 spherical number.

For your power, its best to choose a full rim as the edges will be covered unlike the rimless.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img2013050600327.jpg  


Last edited by beejay : 6th May 2013 at 18:48.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 22:45   #576
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Can you please post an actual image of the model that you have bought. Especially of the inner temple side where the model details are etched.

Benny

sure here it is . It has made in USA to right and signature on left .The model number printed on it is OO9102-08. It carries one year warranty .


Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img_20130506_222824.jpg

Last edited by black12rr : 6th May 2013 at 22:47.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 19:57   #577
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,755
Thanked: 6,653 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
You are welcome.

The white in the edges is because its fresh ground and maybe the previous picture was taken at a bad angle. Here is another picture against light to give you a better idea. I will mail you a picture of the same frame after a few months when the customer visits me again and the white will be gone.

These are the thinnest it can go for -8.00 spherical number.

For your power, its best to choose a full rim as the edges will be covered unlike the rimless.
Hey so I picked up these frames -
http://www.gkboptical.com/tagheuer-t...i-0-ta267sl51/

These were just so comfortable to wear, I couldn't choose anything else. Now my optician says he will give me some Korean or Japanese lens which is similar to Essilor in terms of thickness for around 3k. The Essilor ones he claims are over 7k and could go to 10k. Are those right? I think he did mention either 1.69 or 1.74 something.

Also when I mentioned tint he said I shouldn't do it. Of course you know much more than him, is there any specific tint or something I should tell him? Would have sent it to you sir but I need to travel on Saturday hence I am in a rush. But I cannot thank you enough for your help.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 00:27   #578
BHPian
 
crazydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 156
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Hi Beejay, wanted to get some advice from you on powered polarized lenses - do you know if the big lens brands (Essilor, Nikon etc.) do these on order?
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 08:55   #579
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey so I picked up these frames -
http://www.gkboptical.com/tagheuer-t...i-0-ta267sl51/

These were just so comfortable to wear, I couldn't choose anything else. Now my optician says he will give me some Korean or Japanese lens which is similar to Essilor in terms of thickness for around 3k. The Essilor ones he claims are over 7k and could go to 10k. Are those right? I think he did mention either 1.69 or 1.74 something.

Also when I mentioned tint he said I shouldn't do it. Of course you know much more than him, is there any specific tint or something I should tell him? Would have sent it to you sir but I need to travel on Saturday hence I am in a rush. But I cannot thank you enough for your help.
I am glad you bought the authentic. I guess he is dispensing the Hoya range of lenses.
The CR lenses are available in four index 1.5, 1.56, 1.67 and 1.74. The higher the index the thinner the lens. For your power I think 1.67 is good. You also have 1.59 index which is in polycarbonate material.
The Essilor 1.67 is available with Crizal UV Forte Coating for 4750.
Find out if he is giving you Hoya. Its value and pretty good lenses for that kind of money.

The lenses that he is giving you are hard coated, meaning comes with a varnish coat to try prevent scratches and the tint will not enter the material. I think you can just avoid doing it. If you find the edges are too white, ask him to grind the edge which will beak the hard coat, tint only the edges and hard coat them again. All depends on the lab that he is working with.
All the best with your new Tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Hi Beejay, wanted to get some advice from you on powered polarized lenses - do you know if the big lens brands (Essilor, Nikon etc.) do these on order?
Yes, Essilor does polorized prescription, its called Xperio. Available in both conventional plastic and poly carbonate. Dark Grey tint. Total power available till 4 cylinder and 8 spherical. Starts at 5000 per pair till 12000 depending on the coating.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 14:31   #580
BHPian
 
crazydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 156
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Yes, Essilor does polorized prescription, its called Xperio. Available in both conventional plastic and poly carbonate. Dark Grey tint. Total power available till 4 cylinder and 8 spherical. Starts at 5000 per pair till 12000 depending on the coating.
Thanks beejay! Going to go to the local opticians to get one done as a test! Lack of tints though is a dampener
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:30   #581
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Here is a prescription progressive MauiJims that I am about to send to a customer in Dubai.

Hope this answers all your questions to tint match, featuring here LANI.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img2013052200379.jpg  

Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img2013052200380.jpg  

Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img2013052200381.jpg  

Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img2013052200383.jpg  

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 13:11   #582
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai/Jamshedp
Posts: 319
Thanked: 145 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would highly recommend Serengeti Drivers. They are best glasses I ve ever owned! A close second, in my experience, are Carreras, followed by RayBan. Buy the amber lenses. They are really helpful for fatigue free driving! Ive been using the Serengetis ever since I got them recently and my eyes feel totally refreshed even after a long 5-6 hour drive in the day time.
You can buy Serengeti's off the web - PM me and I will tell you details. They would cost you about 8K or so.
Carrera's cost about 4-5K a pair. Similar pricing with Raybans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
You are welcome.

The white in the edges is because its fresh ground and maybe the previous picture was taken at a bad angle. Here is another picture against light to give you a better idea. I will mail you a picture of the same frame after a few months when the customer visits me again and the white will be gone.

These are the thinnest it can go for -8.00 spherical number.

For your power, its best to choose a full rim as the edges will be covered unlike the rimless.

Dear Shankar, Beejay,

Went through the thread after buying an Okaley cross link.
I always thought ray bans were the best ever and never heard of Serengeti and MJ.
Now I want one for my dad aviator design amber color .

http://www.amazon.com/Serengeti-Avia.../dp/B000R2YYT4 is for 100 dollars. Is it a good one to buy, it says its non polarized so am not sure.

Kindly suggest something

TIA

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 28th June 2013 at 13:24.
vikramvicky1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 15:13   #583
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,322 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

The better quality range of Serengetis and Maui Jims are around 200 USD or more.
Am not sure about this 100 Dollar pair unless it is from a First Class, Reputed Discount Store...
I would buy UV400 and Polarized glasses generally rather than non polarized lower UV rated glasses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Dear Shankar, Beejay,

http://www.amazon.com/Serengeti-Avia.../dp/B000R2YYT4 is for 100 dollars. Is it a good one to buy, it says its non polarized so am not sure.

TIA
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 15:31   #584
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai/Jamshedp
Posts: 319
Thanked: 145 Times
Default re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The better quality range of Serengetis and Maui Jims are around 200 USD or more.
Am not sure about this 100 Dollar pair unless it is from a First Class, Reputed Discount Store...
I would buy UV400 and Polarized glasses generally rather than non polarized lower UV rated glasses.

True,

Kindly suggest where to buy them
vikramvicky1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 19:28   #585
BHPian
 
rajivr1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 315
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

Since normally I wear specs I got my sunglasses custom made. Purchased a Fastrack model for Rs.650/- and got it fitted it with acrylic lens with power and tint of my choice. Got it done at Tambaram. Total damage was Rs. 3500/-. But the options are pretty limited since not all designs can be replicated for lenses with power.
rajivr1612 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Vision In A Downpour - Wear Polarized Sunglasses! throttleking Technical Stuff 63 21st January 2014 15:19
Ford Service time! Sunglasses missing shackman Indian Car Dealerships 18 19th February 2010 22:53
Ferrari Sunglasses manveet Shifting gears 9 2nd April 2007 01:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks