Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 14:46   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,425
Thanked: 870 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
@Gansan @Rocky Balboa @bottle thanks for your inputs. Will check L & M soon. Also will send a mail to Ray Ban on this.
Please do keep me posted. I am also interested in what they say. At 49, fortunately I have to wear only reading glasses, so am able to enjoy my sun glasses. But it may only be a matter of time before I have to wear prescription glasses!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 14:55   #122
BHPian
 
AbdulRahmanM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 166
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I own a Ray-Ban sun-glass which was gifted, dont have Vitamin M to buy one though
AbdulRahmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 14:57   #123
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 584
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is why I suggested Lawrence & Mayo. They said it will have to be ordered from Bausch & Lomb directly.
When I enquired with L&M in Bangalore last year, their responses were not entirely convincing. If they do get it from B&L, i will order one too.

Ashwin, do keep us posted.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 13:54   #124
BHPian
 
rejoycjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Calicut
Posts: 442
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Ray ban aviator series, I own one with the golden frame .
Non polarized glasses / Light blue in colour
Some how I feel that the aviator series has stood its time and still it looks trendy
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 14:07   #125
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,867 Times
Default

Too long a thread to search for my query. Anyone can please answer:

I need night driving glasses but they should also be able to get numbered.

I have an open jeep and night glasses are a must while driving with the windshield folded (during the day i just use my normal numbered sunglasses). I prefer aviator designs but am not sure if i get night options with possibility to get them numbered.
Anyone knows if this is possible.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 14:34   #126
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,451 Times
Default

Got myself a pair of Lacoste sunglasses from Hong Kong recently. They were not expensive. (relatively speaking)

The cool thing is that you wear them and they're all black.

Them them off and the inside body is bright green. The lens is excellent and offers great sun protection. I'm not usually a designer label boy but these are simply super. I recommend them if the style suits you.

Name:  31UTlyOtYML._SS400_.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  12.2 KB

Name:  417twi4IL._SS400_.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  14.6 KB

Name:  41nsGbDPwxL._SS400_.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  16.3 KB

Name:  41w5WCSxmhL._SS400_.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  11.5 KB

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 19th January 2010 at 14:35.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 15:07   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Got myself a pair of Lacoste sunglasses from Hong Kong recently. They were not expensive. (relatively speaking)

The cool thing is that you wear them and they're all black.

Them them off and the inside body is bright green. The lens is excellent and offers great sun protection. I'm not usually a designer label boy but these are simply super. I recommend them if the style suits you.
Nice shades.

The lens quality of many a brand leave a lot to be desired for. Lacoste would be one of them. How good are the lenses, anyways?
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 15:30   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,425
Thanked: 870 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Too long a thread to search for my query. Anyone can please answer:

I need night driving glasses but they should also be able to get numbered.

I have an open jeep and night glasses are a must while driving with the windshield folded (during the day i just use my normal numbered sunglasses). I prefer aviator designs but am not sure if i get night options with possibility to get them numbered.
Anyone knows if this is possible.

Sorry, I don't understand the highlighted part.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 16:48   #129
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,451 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Nice shades.

The lens quality of many a brand leave a lot to be desired for. Lacoste would be one of them. How good are the lenses, anyways?
I'll repeat myself saying that the lens quality is truly excellent.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 17:28   #130
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'll repeat myself saying that the lens quality is truly excellent.
Point taken.

Let me mention that most of the branded sunglasses do not have distortion free lenses. It looks good, feels good and you see good too.

How often how you noticed that white objects, a white car for example looks a bit tinted when you look through some lenses. Also if the base curve is more than 8, mostly in wrap around sunglasses the floor will look raised. There a few models in HUGO BOSS, Giorgio and Emporio ARMANI, RAYBAN and others which have these issues. Yes, all these are reputed brands.

If you are really serious about clarity in vision and have a prescription, you can try Skypol from Carl Zeiss, Drivewear from Essilor and also prescription lenses from Maui Jim which give you a lot of shade cards to choose from.

Of course these lenses might cost more than the frames itself, Yet.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 21:52   #131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 269
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Ray Ban Aviator and Benetton is what I use.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 00:53   #132
BHPian
 
khan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta/London/Dubai/Delhi
Posts: 371
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
If you are really serious about clarity in vision and have a prescription, you can try Skypol from Carl Zeiss, Drivewear from Essilor and also prescription lenses from Maui Jim which give you a lot of shade cards to choose from.

Of course these lenses might cost more than the frames itself, Yet.
For perfect optical clarity at a reasonable price, look no further than Randolph Engineering. Their Aviators are a part of the standard issue kit to all new recruits in the US & Royal New Zealand Air Forces and they don't cost a lot (mine cost $100). For something that's a bit cheaper that that, check out American Opticals (AO) that supposedly uses the same RE lenses.
Of course, if money is not a major concern, nothing in the world beats a classic pair of Maui Jims.
khan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 08:48   #133
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,867 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Sorry, I don't understand the highlighted part.
Means i need prescription sunglasses. Basically glasses that have a higher curvature can't be made into prescription glasses. I wear specs, thus my sunglasses need to be numbered as well.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 08:55   #134
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

@ Tejas,
You can get that done at several places. If you are looking at good quality - try Zeiss showrooms. I had checked with them (the store at S V Road, Malad) and they had options which you are looking for.
However, do remember that you may not be able to get very high degree of curvature on these sunglasses and you will have to select the sunglass model accordingly.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 09:36   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,425
Thanked: 870 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Means i need prescription sunglasses. Basically glasses that have a higher curvature can't be made into prescription glasses. I wear specs, thus my sunglasses need to be numbered as well.
Ah, prescription glasses! I was informed at Lawrence & Mayo, Bangalore a few years back that one can order such glasses from Baush & Lomb (Ray-Ban). Please refer replies posted for Ashwinsid's query a couple of pages back.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Vision In A Downpour - Wear Polarized Sunglasses! throttleking Technical Stuff 63 21st January 2014 15:19
Ford Service time! Sunglasses missing shackman Indian Car Dealerships 18 19th February 2010 22:53
Ferrari Sunglasses manveet Shifting gears 9 2nd April 2007 01:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks