Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th February 2009, 13:19   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
I guess you are referring to Loft. you could give it a shot. I went with my sneakers yesterday to Levis and they just asked me to go to a cobler and get the sole stuck with some glue. I really dint know what to say and I walked out. I was expecting a replacement or atleast them fixing it up for me. This is India and you have roadside cobblers, what would they say if this was abroad? Nothing. I really was a little pissed on the kind of customer response I got. Well try your luck and let me know how Loft experience is.
Yup, that's the one. I doubt if they will own up, but let's see i may give it a shot over this weekend and see if they respond favorably.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 14:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nike makes top quality shoes, comfortable & lasts long, very rare to find a defective piece.

Last edited by finneyp : 25th February 2009 at 15:10.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 15:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yup, that's the one. I doubt if they will own up, but let's see i may give it a shot over this weekend and see if they respond favorably.
Hey good luck.Btw my friend faced the same problem with his provogu'es and I will be following this thread to see whether provogue own up to their wardrobe malfunction or not
isldhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 15:57   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
just forget it and think of them as Agra made shoes with just "Provogue" branded on it
Some of the world's best shoes are manufactured in Agra. Some of the most famous brands you know. Ask Vkochhar. He knows.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 16:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Some of the world's best shoes are manufactured in Agra. Some of the most famous brands you know. Ask Vkochhar. He knows.
Thats true. Person should have some kinda Jugaad there to get the benefit.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I say this even though I am in the Shoe Business and I buy and sell shoes all over Europe every day. NIKE is one company which evryone respects.

The other company which is almost at par or even better at quality is - PUMA.
I'm glad someone in the business has the same opinion as mine.
Sadly PUMA and ADIDAS have the same boring designs for decades. ADIDAS quality (purely my opinion) is lousy and I've had issues with everything I've bought from them.
PUMA tees are absolutely superb; great comfy cotton, perfect for our climate.
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 17:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ok - Here is a bit of the truth about Agra made Shoes -

There are 2 types of factories in India, located in places like Agra, Chennai, Kanpur, NCR. These comprise of the biggest places for making shoes ( leather & synthetic ) both.

2 types of factories are -

The first is small household and very small factories making Non Leather or Synthetic or Leather Look Alike shoes for the Indian market only.

The second is the Export Houses which make for Big Brands and sell all over the world - including GUCCI, VANDAL, TOMMY & even Harrods !! These all are made in Agra & Chennai & Kanpur mainly.

Now Provogue does not sell leather shoes ( most of the times ). They are all Chinese made and not Agra Made. Do not get fooled even if they say made In India. They are all Chinese Made. They however have a very handful of leather Shoes and they are made in delhi.

Provogue is one of the finest companies making some of the best clothes and shirts today. But the Shoes were only part of the Store Enhancing Look & Feel. Same goes for Wills Lifestyle & Levis. All Crappy Shoes.

As far as Export houses in Agra goes - These do not sell in the Indian Market, they are made by the millions ( yes, you read right - Millions of pairs ) every month, packed of in cartons and branded and sailed away in Container Lots to Europe & America & Australia. Europe being the biggest market.

The only place in the world making better shoes than Agra is Italy where fashion Houses are located and they make shoes that cost 10 times the price that it does in Agra.

Another fact - Chinese Shoes are flooding the markets. But be well informed - Chinese Shoes are 99 % Synthetic. They do not export leather shoes as they have an Anti Dumping Duty in most countries and therefore Leather Products are not made in china.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th February 2009 at 14:12. Reason: Will PM you.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 18:40   #38
BHPian

Yeah You can say that again VKochar. On my last trip to Agra I had visited a couple of such factory outlets of export surplus shoes and got some good pairs. My cousin who lives in Agra wanted to take me to a factory like the one you are talking about but was a bit busy due to marriage of his sister(my cousin). So maybe next time I'm there I will PM you and we all can go together. OT- Koi Taj Mahal ki backdrop mein show karvao naa. I still remember the Yanni show o(f '98 i guess).
isldhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 22:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Vkochar, who makes Lee Cooper and Red Tape leather shoes in India?
They charge Rs1500-2000 a pair, but pathetic quality!
Old 26th February 2009, 03:32   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Ok - Here is a bit of the truth about Agra made Shoes -

There are 2 types of factories in India, located in places like Agra, Chennai, Kanpur, NCR. These comprise of the biggest places for making shoes ( leather & synthetic ) both.

2 types of factories are -

The first is small household and very small factories making Non Leather or Synthetic or Leather Look Alike shoes for the Indian market only.

The second is the Export Houses which make for Big Brands and sell all over the world - including GUCCI, VANDAL, TOMMY & even Harrods !! These all are made in Agra & Chennai & Kanpur mainly.

Now Provogue does not sell leather shoes ( most of the times ). They are all Chinese made and not Agra Made. Do not get fooled even if they say made In India. They are all Chinese Made. They however have a very handful of leather Shoes and they are made in delhi.

Provogue is one of the finest companies making some of the best clothes and shirts today. But the Shoes were only part of the Store Enhancing Look & Feel. Same goes for Wills Lifestyle & Levis. All Crappy Shoes.

As far as Export houses in Agra goes - These do not sell in the Indian Market, they are made by the millions ( yes, you read right - Millions of pairs ) every month, packed of in cartons and branded and sailed away in Container Lots to Europe & America & Australia. Europe being the biggest market.

The only place in the world making better shoes than Agra is Italy where fashion Houses are located and they make shoes that cost 10 times the price that it does in Agra.

Another fact - Chinese Shoes are flooding the markets. But be well informed - Chinese Shoes are 99 % Synthetic. They do not export leather shoes as they have an Anti Dumping Duty in most countries and therefore Leather Products are not made in china.
Rush and Kochar sahab, my only regret in life is that Nike does not make Formal foot wear like Reebok (Reebok has its rockport range of whom i am a fan whenever there's a discount sale) second regret I have is that Nike does not make tyres. This is a very big regret.

Kochar sahab, am aware of the chinese threat to Indian industry,

I was quoted 8k for a Geox shoe pair, which I find pretty ridiculous to wear, its not a watch or a suit, its a pair of shoes made with some rubber/leather etc.

If you can help me, I would be eternally grateful to you in helping me find a Geox/Florsheim pair at a discount,

Regards
M M

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th February 2009 at 14:13. Reason: Quoted post edited.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:02   #41
BANNED

Rockport are pathetic shoes, specially those shipped to India are outdated models abroad. Also, check their manufacturing dates, they are usually 1-2 years old.
Moreover upto 70% off sometimes/occasionally, raises a lot of doubts!
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well, you have both types of manafacturers, one selling with higher quality and others only for masses. So companies like Provogue with such a high brand image take chinese stuff and brand them with their name. Despicable. They will lose customers on the their clothes range too if they continue with this gimmick.

Quote:
The first is small household and very small factories making Non Leather or Synthetic or Leather Look Alike shoes for the Indian market only..
I meant something like this.

Quote:
Now Provogue does not sell leather shoes ( most of the times ). They are all Chinese made and not Agra Made. Do not get fooled even if they say made In India. They are all Chinese Made
I didnt know this. Good info, will stay away from these add on branding enhancement tricks of such goods companies hereon
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:59   #43
BANNED

This is the pair of Nike shoes, got from U.S long time back, but after a wash, sole has come off.
Attached Thumbnails
Nike experience-100_00551.jpg  

Nike experience-100_00547.jpg  

bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 20:08   #44
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have had similar experience with Nike and that too in UK.

I spent GBP200 on a pair of basketball shoes from a high street store at london (Lilywhites) eliminating any case for 2nd grade product.

After first wash, I encountered weird squeaky noise from right sole that just would not go away. Upon complaint at a nike outlet in Nottingham, I was told that it was a problem with Nike products and they would gladly exchange it if I paid anothe GBP50 of shipping charges !!!

Extremely annoyed I wrote to Nike UK but even after 2 years I have no reply. Meanwhile, I did some research on the internet only to find that this problem has existed with Nike shoes since ages with no solution and Nike does not accept the fault.

Since then, I vowed not to buy footwear from Nike and stick to good ol' Adidas for sportswear.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 22:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
This is the pair of Nike shoes, got from U.S long time back, but after a wash, sole has come off.
How long did you use that Nike shoe?