Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th August 2007, 23:34   #31
BHPian

Was in Singapore and KL last week. Having decided last minute, surfed the net and found hotels have become very expensive since the last couple of years. Could not get a confirmed booking thru the net and finally a friend booked me in Intercontinental - which was really expensive.

in Singapore - Try Albert Court Hotel on Selegie Road (if not happy with Golden Landmark); its popular with Indians and is also close to Sim Lim Square and Little India . Surf the net and check out the locations / facilities. It is pretty reliable. Asiarooms.com also has customer feedback.

Sentosa has changed a lot; become more expensive. Visited the usual suspects - Cable car ride (mind last cable back is at 9 p.m from Sentosa - also most people dont know this but you can continue your cable car ride on the way back and go towards Mount Faber for an extra ten minutes ride. it is included in the basic price. Nothing much there in the night except deep dark silent night in a forest, a tourist shop and a fancy restaurant). Sky Tower, Underwater World, Beach Tram, Southernmost point of Continental Asia, Dolphin Lagoon, Cine Blast (replaced Cinemania), 4d Magix (featuring Pirates), Musical Fountain @ a new location facing the sea. There is an artificial beach where you can wade into the water.

Other places to visit are Night Safari (must visit for the arrangements), Singapore Zoo, Bird Park. If you visit the Science Center (with an Omni theatre with 180-deg-floor-to-overhead-all-encompassing-screen) - children will enjoy, also visit Snow City next door. Suntec City (with Magical Fountain), Raffles City, Orchard Road, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay, Merlion, Esplanade is a must see. Start walking from Clarke Quay (newly renovated with lots of pubs / bars / restaurants) towards Merlion via Boat Quay and then walk back to Boat Quay for dinner by the river. ChinaTown is a good place to visit too. Malls are plentiful, but the most popular ones seem to be Plaza Singapura, Great World City, Vivo City (new one @ harbour point MRT)

Travel by taxi is most convenient, but Bus/Train services are good and reliable too. EZlink card is easily available at any station at any time. Visit Changi Airport train station when you arrive. Conducted tours in Singapore are a waste of time and money. It is so small, so easily accessible that you can get to any point in a relatively short time. If 4 are travelling, then just go by taxi (dont wait for taxi/bus unless it is peak hour, then just opt for a taxi), it works out cheaper than train/bus in most instances. even if there are two of you, it is not very expensive (as compared to some of the other places I have visited in the region and in Europe).

Sam, when next in Orchard Towers, try Ah Meng Coffee shop; they have good food but I find their Chicken Curry with Rice the best. I agree with you that we should try local food; it is very good in Singapore with different flavours and smells and tastes. But there is atleast 1 time during any overseas visit when I crave for Indian food. In Singapore try Hotel Raj close to Mustafa (veg). Their food tastes authentically Indian. Another good one is Heritage on Sixth Avenue/bukit Timah Road junction. Run by an Indian and serves extremely good Indian food (though slightly expensive).

In KL, surfing the net does not give reliable results on hotels, better to take the help of a local person to get a hotel booking. Hotels are not very expensive (atleast as compared to Singapore or Bangalore) I was there for 1 night only and stayed in Conrad after checking in and checking out of a small hotel (Replica Inn which looks good on the net, but quite uncomfortable, though neat). If staying for longer, try to get a serviced apartment (look for PNB Darby Park - we stayed there once was really good with a good Indian food court nearby). You must visit Chinatown in the evening when there. Its quite an experience. Fake branded stuff (handbags, watches, etc) and DVDs and crowded like some of our markets. KL Tower, Martyrs center (not sure if that is the correct name), Petronas Mall are good. You can get to the sky bridge that connects the two towers if you go really early in the morning and book your slot - or so I have been told, but have never been. I hear that Genting Highlands is great (though you need to carry warm clothing) and am planning to visit there during my next trip there.

Commuting in KL is best via monorail. For Taxi you need to negotiate the fare with driver before you get into the cab. From the airport to the city, the train is best since it guarantees you will get to the city in 28 minutes flat) with good taxi connections to your hotel from Central station.

Re. costs, keep aside $100 per person per day for entrance fees, food and water (carry a backpack each to place water, snacks and your shopping).

5-7 days in Singapore should be enough to cover it all and complete all your shopping; 2-3 days in KL for shopping (didnt find many sightseeing places).
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 09:02   #32
BHPian

Default Travel agent for Singapore trip

Can anyone please help me to find out a travel agent in bangalore who could give me best deal for flight tickets to Singapore. I don't need any hotel booking as I will be staying there with my friend.
Regards,
Sarin
sarinkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 12:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Can anyone please help me to find out a travel agent in bangalore who could give me best deal for flight tickets to Singapore. I don't need any hotel booking as I will be staying there with my friend.
Regards,
Sarin
For the cheapest flights to Singapore, try Tiger Airways. I got one way ticket for around 4k during the F1 weekend. You'll feel like you are traveling in a bus though
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 13:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Regards,
Sarin
Sarin book your tickets online. Tiger airways only if you are on a shoe string budget for your tickets , else fly SA. Tiger airways is like 4 hours of cramped flying to Changi.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 14:09   #35
BHPian

Default Re: Need advice for Singapore trip

Hello fellow TBHP members,

I am planning to go on an holiday to singapore for 4nights 5 days.
Can yo people suggest the best hotel to say in sIngapore with a budget of about 650USD for 4 nights (only lodging).

What all places is a must see?

Has anyone taken the star cruise Virgo? is it worth the money?

How to process tourist VISA ?

Help pls...
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 20:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

Can yo people suggest the best hotel to say in sIngapore with a budget of about 650USD for 4 nights (only lodging).

Help pls...
If you can stretch your lodging budget a little, you can get accommodation in Swissotel the Stamford. It is even better if you can get a room in the high floors. There is a shopping mall (Raffles Plaza) and a MRT station as well.
The Super star Virgo is the best cruise in Asia. For visa and ticketing try Akbar travels in Nungambakkam High Road.
jayguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 00:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

Help pls...
@Visaster, if you are looking out for good hotel near Little India then i suggest you try Ibis Singapore On Bencoolen. Its cheaper, cleanly, very near to MRT, Bus Stop is just in front of the hotel, For Food you will have little india & for shopping you have Bugis & Sim Lim Square
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 01:34   #38
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am visiting Singapore on 5th and will be back on 8th. I have a few queries.

1. Should I get the currency converted in India before leaving or should I convert it at Singapore airport.

2. I have a visa international debit card of icici bank. Will I be able to withdraw cash at Singapore using it? Would there be any transaction charges?

3. How reliable are local currency exchangers at Singapore. I heard about a shop called Mustafa? Any clue how is it?

4. I have 1 and half days of leisure time. Which all places are a must see ?

5. How much money should be carried considering that I will have to shell out for 2 days accommodation, food & sightseeing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 07:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Hi guys,

1. Yes, please get it converted here as you will get better rates here.
2. Try not to use the debit cards .
3. Mustafa forex is where we used to go for currency exchanges as they gave better rate than others.
4. Sentosa , Universal studios, Marina Bay Sands, Orchard Road, Pubs in Clark Quay etc. IMO, Singapore is more of a shopping place than sightseeing.
5. How much are you going to shell out for accommodation (is it booked already). Also, the money to be carried depends on how much shopping is planned.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 09:25   #40
BHPian

[quote="Sabareesh"]Hi guys,

Hi
For exchange never do it at the airport they give the lowest possible rates. Check rates here itself but I feel if you exchange at Mustafa you may get a little more than what you get here.
Mustafa is in little India a big favourite among Indians and no Indian probably gets back without visiting Mustafa! It's a huge shopping mall.

Don't forget to visit sentosa island and the aquarium there its the best you can see in Asia.

Singapore is a beautiful and a very clean place. Remember never to eat or drink anything on the metro trains.
Fine amount is about S$500 or more.

Don't forget to taste the cadburys diary milk fruit and nut as the ones available there are made in Australia and they are the best diary milk chocolates ever!!

Enjoy your trip.
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 09:52   #41

Post Re: Need advice for Singapore trip

Quote:
Hi guys,

1. Should I get the currency converted in India before leaving or should I convert it at Singapore airport.
Convert enough money for the taxi fare to your hotel in india itself.The rest of the money can be exchanged at Mustafa money changers who apparently give the best exchange rates.DO NOT CONVERT at the airport

2. I have a visa international debit card of icici bank. Will I be able to withdraw cash at Singapore using it? Would there be any transaction charges?
The ICICI debit card will work but transaction charges are ridiculously high
3. How reliable are local currency exchangers at Singapore. I heard about a shop called Mustafa? Any clue how is it?
Answer 1 !
4. I have 1 and half days of leisure time. Which all places are a must see ?
Sentosa and the zoo
5. How much money should be carried considering that I will have to shell out for 2 days accommodation, food & sightseeing.
Depends on how much you want to spend.
Hope this is of some help.
shrjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 12:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

1) Get it converted here. Most important, never at the airports.
2) Yes, but as others had pointed out - high transaction charges. I did withdraw once when I went to Singapore. I entered the amount in INR thinking it was India but ended up withdrawing around 20,000/- . So keep that in mind in case you plan to withdraw.
3) Mustafa is pretty reliable. But always check out other exchange counters and compare the rates. I usually do that.
4) Sentosa, Orchard road and universal studios (a busy schedule if you plan universal studios but a must visit )
5) Depends on how much you plan to spend.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote