Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: SEAT BELTS
Not very specific about wearing seat belts (including me) 7 4.64%
I definitely wear it. But will not insists others 24 15.89%
Will make sure both driver and passenger in front have to buckle. Will not insist on rear passenger 93 61.59%
I will make sure all the passengers have belted up 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th March 2009, 12:29   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have had instances when the passengers in my car have been thrown forward on sudden braking at speeds as low as 40kmph. It gets really scary. I insist on people wearing seatbelts. In the rear seat though, I insist only on highway driving.
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 12:43   #17
BHPian

It's mandatory for front passengers in both my cars to wear seat belts, even if it's a 10 min drive. Actually people in my house have grown accustomed to this habit, as I am always paranoid to make my family wear seat belts. At the back seat, it's difficult in a small car as my driving seat is totally reclined back, leaving no space behind for anyone to sit. But in my honda, back seat passengers do wear during long drives, inspite of cribs. Well, when I am driving, I am the boss!
nnandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 12:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

I too make it a point that the front passenger wear the seat belt. If they refuse, I just say - "I am not going to drive until you wear your seat belt!". Works all the time.

As for rear passengers, no seat belts available in my zen. I manage by avoiding rear seat passengers.

BTW, it's very rare that I have a passenger in my car. So, no worries as of now!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 13:16   #19
BHPian

well I'm very strict about me and the front passenger belting up, nothing doing i don't budge until they put it on! And that strictness too sadly has come from first the experience of crashing my first car and then later loosing my best friend.
Knowing that people know im not going to take it lightly. I take the pain to explain that I might be driving fine but there are enough idiots on the roads in India, usually does the trick.
Rear passengers, only on Highways or if someone wants to sleep as mentioned before. Otherwise I'm not insistent on that.
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 13:36   #20
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Seat belts save lives. Ensure not only you wear it but all others in the car do too.

Let me relate a sad incident that took place a few weeks back. An acquaintance who was a doctor by profession was out with friends at a beach. Now this gentleman was always particular about belting up as he had lived in the US and was accustomed to doing so by law.

They were using a Pajero and while driving they suddenly cameup on a ditch. The car slammed into the opposite bank of sand as the Pajero dove in, this person who was driving was flung forward, his neck snapping in a second. He didn't survive the accident. Sadly that day he was not wearing a seatbelt while all the others in the car were. Nothing happened to the ones who wore seat belts.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 13:46   #21
BHPian

I normally make my front passengers wear seat belts, whether on a highway or city. I ask the rear passengers to do it but it is not mandatory.
Statistics say most people are killed because of not wearing seatbelts in highways than in cities, but government only wants seatbelts in a few cities.
The government should make wearing seat belts mandatory for all passengers if they are inside any moving vehicle and also start an awareness campaign. I am sure a few cops would benefit from this initially but atleast after a few years people would start wear seatbeltson their own.

Last edited by ksethuram : 5th March 2009 at 13:47.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 13:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
The government should make wearing seat belts mandatory for all passengers if they are inside any moving vehicle and also start an awareness campaign. I am sure a few cops would benefit from this initially but atleast after a few years people would start wear seatbeltson their own.
More than a Rule it should be self interest from with-in.

For it to be made as a rule let government first make proving seat-belts compulsory for Car manufacturers.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 14:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Front passengers have to wear the seat belt in my car, no exceptions to that rule. And when I'm driving, the rear ones belt up for their own comfort, getting thrown around is not much fun for them!

P.S. Ask KB100!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 14:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava:
And when I'm driving, the rear ones belt up for their own comfort, getting thrown around is not much fun for them!
Ohh man, don't you have tyre walls in your Getz 1.1 similar to the tyre walls seen on race tracks?
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

My mom doesn't like wearing seat belts and she mostly sits in front and i make it a point she wears it and then only i move the car. Its a life saving feature. Use it as much as you can.
Yes i dont wear seat belts sitting at rear as cos of my height am i get highly uncomfortable then.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:01   #26
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I dont insist anymore, I just drive, and everyone belts up :-) dad is the only one fearless enough not to belt up, and him, I force.
My son 18 months old, is secured in a child seat, but when he's around, I'm usually the slowest on the road.

Last edited by rippergeo : 5th March 2009 at 17:03.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

I never used to wear the seat belt in all the years I spent downsouth but started this good habbit after moving to Gurgaon. Insist on the front passenger also wearing

In fact, nowadays, on the rare occassion when I forget to wear the seat belt, I immediately feel something is missing !
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:25   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Seat belts for front passengers is a must in my car. As for rear passengers I make it manadatory on highways but not in city yet( btw I hardly have rear passengers).

In one of our highways drive A Trax had hit us from behind & my wife who was at rear suffered very mild jerk because she was wearing the seat belt.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 18:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

When I drive the co passenger in the front seat has to wear a seatbelt, no exceptions.(Ofcourse I buckle up always).
sammyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 18:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

I always belt up. Its like a habit with me, buckling up before I start the engine. Front passenger must to belt up before I start off. For highway or fast drives, I insist everyone to belt up. And, people do listen to me.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote