Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th March 2009, 16:26   #61
BHPian

Lets not go overboard in claiming the VJM as the savior or about VJM's lifestyle contradicting Gandhian philosophy.
Before going too far, lets look around us, look at all those historical monuments that are in shambles without proper care and maintenance. We as a country do not value our legacy much. All this talk about bringing back Gandhi items and hype around that when looked in context seems a bit hypocritical to me. I don't think majority of the country anyway care about what happens after two weeks. Will the items come to India or not, who cares?
And about VJM, he is not someone who is going to do things without considering the returns. It could be in any format, money, fame, publicity or whatever. Yes, he loves his country, and he has financial muscle to flaunt it compared to others. I really don't care if these come to India or not, as long as they are maintained in good condition. The fact that some of these antiques are spread across the globe speaks volumes about Indian history.

Quote:
What's the status with Tipu's sword and other items that you bought?

All Tipu items, including the sword, are in San Francisco. I would love to bring them back to India. I would love to have a Tipu Sultan museum, either in Mysore or Bangalore. I can't bring them now as they will levy duty on that.

If the government reconsiders the position and allows duty-free import, I would love to bring them back and put it for public display. After all, they are a part and parcel of India's heritage. They are now in packed wooden crates in my custody in San Francisco. It makes no sense.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 7th March 2009 at 16:36.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 20:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

I don't see why anyone should care about some random things like a bowl, glasses, and slippers. No one seems to care about what the Mahatma believed in. Political parties routinely horse-trade, spend millions on votes, and use religion in politics. No one seems to care then. We don't have a single thread on this forum on how many of us are going to vote this election, or which candidate seems to be promising. Oh no.

But give us some random 60 year old things, and we whip ourselves into a pseudo-patriotic frenzy. You guys throw about words like pride and heritage. What pride do we have as Indians? That we ignore the teachings of a great leader and cash in our votes? Do you believe heritage is defined by a bowl or a spoon, or by teachings such as civil disobedience and ahimsa?

As far as Tushar Gandhi goes, Marketing the Mahatma
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 20:20   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Raju Hirani and Sanjay Dutt did more to bring back respect and admiration to Gandhiji.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 22:27   #64
BANNED

What is this? I bid independently: Vijay Mallya and UPA didn't contact me over Bapu's belongings: Mallya?

This Otis guy was more Gandhian than Mallya. Anyway it doesn't matter who has it, as long as it is safe.

But, Govt procured Gandhi's belongings through Mallya: Soni. Why Mallya, 362nd richest man in the world, when we have many Indians/NRIs in Top 20? Didn't they get anyone else for bidding? Did Mallya put his hand up and ensured his RS seat? Or that Kingfisher Airlines owes IOC 110 crores and wants more time to settle the dues.

Or he is just a collector of artifacts?
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 00:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If VJM stops making beer, then someone else will. Its the people who choose to get drunk. Even prohibition cannot stop the alcoholics.
I was trying to stay away from this thread since I said exactly what I had to say earlier. After reading many posts on this thread, it just reaffirms my belief.

I am sure, you too would have read a lot about Gandhiji. He was a man, who believed in his principles and did things which he felt were right, even if it meant him going against entire nation at times. And, abstinence from liquor/meat was something he firmed believed in, and hence, he wouldn't have compromised.

In prevalent sense of democracy, he was more of noble dictator, for he believed in his principles and inner voice more than people's wish and did what he felt was right.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 00:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

i was laughing my guts out when Ambika soni was mumbling on camera. If they didn't had any strategy why call for a press conference in a hurry, This is what we call here 'chai se jyada kettle garam'.

Also, this gandhian country also earns a huge percentage as excise from Mr. malaya's Daru business. So its ironic even to mention this fact.

lolz
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 07:50   #67
Senior - BHPian

What a sure way to tell the world of your ignorance! A news conference telling that they influenced Mallya!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 08:11   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
How ironic, the father of the nation gave the Nawab of Junagadh his specs as an indicative of his vision of a unified India, and what does the Nawab do ?

Indeed indeed! Thanks for shedding light on how the spectacles went where they did, I really was ignorant about that, also I continue to be so regarding the other artifacts, can you let us know who pawned them off?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I don't see why anyone should care about some random things like a bowl, glasses, and slippers. No one seems to care about what the Mahatma believed in. Political parties routinely horse-trade, spend millions on votes, and use religion in politics. No one seems to care then. We don't have a single thread on this forum on how many of us are going to vote this election, or which candidate seems to be promising. Oh no.

But give us some random 60 year old things, and we whip ourselves into a pseudo-patriotic frenzy. You guys throw about words like pride and heritage. What pride do we have as Indians? That we ignore the teachings of a great leader and cash in our votes? Do you believe heritage is defined by a bowl or a spoon, or by teachings such as civil disobedience and ahimsa?

As far as Tushar Gandhi goes, Marketing the Mahatma
How true, and I can feel the deep disgust within you as you express yourself. The only difference being, I couldn't be as articulate as you in expressing myself.
We have lost the essense of the teachings of the Mahatma and are flaunting about what we have acquired and it does not stop at that, we go on and on labelling the guy what ever his name is, who picked up the items and do not even spare the one who sold them. All these years no one cared in the government or as civilians to get the stuff back home??? v1p3r,Your one liner yesterday was too classy.

The Government of India, should pay for the stuff and stop looking the other way and plan on saying thankyou Sir for what you have done for the country., and accept it as freebies. It's time you do something too, as citizens, taxpayers let us all contribue instead of just talking and taking the government way.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2009 at 04:22. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 08:03   #69
BHPian

And now Otis wants the items back!!
is it because of legal issues - I remember just a few hours before the auction he had requested that the auction be called off.
Or does he actually want to give them back to India? Would be very surprised if he did that.
Here's the link
TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos -
Quote:
A week after Vijay Mallaya made a winning bid at the Gandhi auction in New York.Collector James Otis says he wants them back. Otis has moved court to have the auction cancelled.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 08:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Mahatma Gandhi’s memorabilia went under the hammer in New York early on Friday morning (India time) after hours of high drama.
Liquor baron Vijay Mallya bought Gandhi’s items for $1.8 million. The collection had a reserve price of between $20,000 and $30,000. Bidding began at $20,000 and rose to the final price within seven minutes.
I have a doubt... What is the proof that these were the items used by Mahatma Gandhi?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 00:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Indeed indeed! Thanks for shedding light on how the spectacles went where they did, I really was ignorant about that, also I continue to be so regarding the other artifacts, can you let us know who pawned them off?
Thanks

Who is a very opaque question, i mean opaque by the time gone by, the situation post the chaos of Gandhiji's murder, may be the nawab in one of his generous moods gifted it or they got pinched.

Obviously they wont rest in Pakistan nor would any museum in Pakistan be obliging of canvassing these precious sentimental items. This is my speculation and does not mean any harm/derogatory to any national or any state policy.

A few of these items including Tipu Sultan's sword (by the British I may add) along with far huge amounts of jewelery and antiques were smuggled out.

If someone made money on it - it's pretty natural.

Though i was not born then, so may be I may not know who and why but the financial pull of the west is far more lucrative for the antique trade.

Cheers

Last edited by mmmjgm : 26th March 2009 at 01:00.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 01:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

? Museums abroad proundly acknowledge the name of persons who have lent their items to a museum, this helps the collector for space and the museum to get display items. Is this done in any Museum in India? I am not aware, and who would trust them anyway?

This was a little more than 2 bits, but CHEERS to Gandhi relics, how ironic!!!
Harit bhai.

In India there are private museums which display credit to the provider of the valuable artefacts, these are prominent museums which are owned privately by trusts and individuals.

I would request inconvenience on your part to PM me, I shall gladly share details.

warm regards

M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote